'Unsuitable For HGVs'

See this sign a lot with mixed feelings over whether or not to proceed. The standard weight limit signs are straight forward. You go if your vehicle is allowed. With this ‘Unsuitable…’ sign, I’ve gone through a few times (only in 7.5t, not Class 2) and thought what’s the point of that sign as the road has been fine.

Surely it would be better to have a more specific weight restriction sign■■? What do you think?? Is it the law, or advice??

It’s advice, it means that the road is difficult/impossible to pass in an HGV. A weight limit means that HGVs quite probably could pas, but the local residents do not like them to and have sufficient time on their hands to badger the local council into diverting them past somebody else’s home.

It’s advice - - but heaven help you if anything goes wrong when you’re down a road with that sign on it. There is generally a good reason for the sign, but granted it’s sometimes not too obvious.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I delivered floorbeams to a project on Anglesey, the first new house to be approved for over 100 years on the island. This was two or three miles down a lane with this sign at each end. After I had offloaded, the JCB had to follow me for four or five miles, lifting the back end of the trailer around the corners until I got back to the main-ish road.

Thanks. Went through one today which was fine. Came out the other end and looked for the sign. Wasn’t one. There was however a 7-5t weight limit■■?

Google maps is your friend. Check the road in street view and see how it looks. (Assuming you have a smartphone with active 3G).

thunderhead:
Thanks. Went through one today which was fine. Came out the other end and looked for the sign. Wasn’t one. There was however a 7-5t weight limit■■?

Yes, sometimes the road will have the sign at one end but not the other- one artic might be fine, two coming in opposite directions is a nightmare for all concerned, or it might have an “unsuitable” sign at one end and a weight limit sign at the other end.

I’ve never had any big dramas going through them, although I went through one yesterday and wondered if I was going to come unstuck when the mirrors folded in. :laughing:

I had some bloke ranting and raving once for going hrough one pointing out that I wasn’t allowed down that road “Er Yes I am” he was quick to point out that there was a sign I’d driven past telling me I couldn’t use it. I suggested that he read the sign as I knew exactly what it said.
He then called me inconsiderate for holding up other road users, I pointed out that he was holding me up and by doing so blocking the whole road when we could easily pass by. Enjoyed that one.

thunderhead:
Surely it would be better to have a more specific weight restriction sign■■? What do you think?? Is it the law, or advice??

The clue is in the wording “unsuitable for HGV’s”. So don’t go down it, you will end up in a world of pain.

MAT:

thunderhead:

The clue is in the wording “unsuitable for HGV’s”. So don’t go down it, you will end up in a world of pain.

Unless that’s where your delivering :unamused:

4whatitsworth:

MAT:

thunderhead:

Unless that’s where your delivering :unamused:

It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve had to phone company because I’m in an 18t rigid and both ends of the road have this sign. They always say ‘we’ve had bigger than that down here’ :slight_smile:

been down plenty of em … tight corners and narrow lanes , overgrown trees hanging into the road bashing the sides of ya wagon… but some times you have to go down their to reach ya drop point . always google map the road and use street view … best source of information is to stop ! ask a local if theirs any other way round , or if they reckon ya wagon will get round their , most times i squeeze by in a rigid :wink: ,

“Unsuitable for motor vehicles” had me parked up near the entrance to that road and a check of the map, followed by phone calls to the office and the customer if I could get the 26 tonner I was in down there. Part way through an animals feeds truck came out and I had a quick chat. Seems there were a few narrow sections but to take it easy and it should be OK.

When I drove it I found it wasn’t fenced in places but the road conditions were better than I had seen most C or B class roads.

Likewise I have been up other roads in Wales with UfMV listed and was in a 4x4 van and struggled because of the road surfaces and narrow hedges. At the customer found another truck there and heard that there was a long way around that wasn’t even shown on the map!