Unspent conviction

Has anybody had any experience of companies not employing guys due to unspent convictions?
Thinking about working for a company that deals purely with fridge delivery and collections.

Should be fine - never been asked for a CRB check.

It depends what your conviction is for. If it’s for drink driving you might have more of an issue. If it’s for a scrap up town or something you might be fine.

obviously dependson the job and what the offence was. I had a shoving match with some jumped up oink whilst on an agency gig obviously i didnt got back to that job however about two months later after i went to another job i got a phone call from the police wanting to inverview me when i told workas i may of needed time off to attend the police station etc I was told dont worry just keep us informed. They didnt care either when i was given a verbal warning.

Are you sure its not spent from my experience weather or not a conviction is spent or notis a minefield as there are all sorts of circumstances and pardons and amnistys.

A courier job like Royal Mail will do a CRB check.

The smaller the firm, the more likely they won’t bother though.

The DVLA check will show any IN endorsements on one’s licence - and they WILL refuse to employ you at most places with such endorsements, alongside DR and DD - but strangely NOT CD…

Try this link rather than getting opinions on here, you might be pleasantly surprised, I don’t know.

hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase … s-spent-2/

The rules on rehabilitation of offenders was changed in relatively recent years, one change that has impacted on some guys I know is that previously if your sentence was 3+ years it was never spent, now it’s 4+ years, so if yours is less than 4 years and sufficiently long ago (I think it’s 10 years from the date of the conviction) then it can be spent.

Unless you’re working with children, vulnerable adults, sensitive information or finances, I don’t think people should be forced to have their past constantly dragged up, and employers should know when they’re entitled to ask about criminal records and most importantly, when they are not.

Being in same position as you, frankly it comes down to the employer. Like someone said, Royal Mail etc and companies like Serco and such will do CRB.

I know there’s a few companies that are signed up to ‘ban the box’ scheme. Basically don’t ask about criminal records etc until interview stage (by which point you’ve had a chance to impress)

Off the top of head, I remember Boots being one of them. Timpsons are definitely employing ex offenders and so are Virgin Trains etc. There are companies out there who will give us a chance.

Check out ban the box.

Muddy K:
Being in same position as you, frankly it comes down to the employer. Like someone said, Royal Mail etc and companies like Serco and such will do CRB.

I know there’s a few companies that are signed up to ‘ban the box’ scheme. Basically don’t ask about criminal records etc until interview stage (by which point you’ve had a chance to impress)

Off the top of head, I remember Boots being one of them. Timpsons are definitely employing ex offenders and so are Virgin Trains etc. There are companies out there who will give us a chance.

Check out ban the box.

Thanks for the info