Unspent conviction and documentation for Class 2 licence

This is my first post and apologies if it may be a bit long, but I am after some information and I hope the experience and knowledge on here might be able to answer my questions. I have a bit of a dilemma and have searched the forum for information and although finding similar references to my situation, none actually give me the info I am looking for.

I’ll explain my situation. I have an unspent conviction (and will never be spent) which does not involve motoring offences. I am currently in a minimum wage job and have been with my current employer about 18 months. When I was interviewed for the job I was not asked if I had any convictions (on the application form or during interview), therefore I did not disclose this information. I have settled well into my job and have had no problems.

The company has Class 1 and Class 2 trucks and they are always looking for new drivers and they are willing to subsidise a person to take a Class 2 driving course with test at the end of it. I think the training is done by a third party, not the company. This interests me as I would like the opportunity to try my hand at driving as a new career. Obviously the company will do all the relevant paperwork etc. but I would like to know the following before I decide whether to go ahead with the application:

1. What sort of forms will I need to fill in before taking the driving course (also the CPC card), in other words will it ask me on those documents if I have a criminal record?

2. If I take the course and get my licence will there be further checks required regarding my insurance (bearing in mind I had to disclose my conviction to get my motor insurance).

Obviously I may need to provide some more information in this post, I do not want to jeopardise my employment with the company so I would appreciate any comments.

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

1. What sort of forms will I need to fill in before taking the driving course (also the CPC card), in other words will it ask me on those documents if I have a criminal record?

2. If I take the course and get my licence will there be further checks required regarding my insurance (bearing in mind I had to disclose my conviction to get my motor insurance).

The forms required are a D4 Medical Report completed by any doctor and a D2 licence application completed by you. This will ask for details of any convictions around driver’ hours or overloading. So if your offence was not related to these, you’re in the clear as far as the forms go.

I dont follow No2 so I cant help without clarification. Feel free to pm me if you’d rather keep it private.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I would imagine that if your company haven’t asked you at any point about any potential criminal record, then I’d suggest it’s not something they’re too bothered about.
With regards to the possibility of it coming out in the future, I’d say it’s unlikely. Realistically, companies taking on drivers check two things, licence entitlements and any driving convictions (I can’t remember the last time I was asked about any non-driving convictions).
I know you said you had to declare it for your personal car insurance, but that tends to be a lot more in depth with the information they require.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Not sure if the company insurance even knows much about me or any other drivers.

They have certain stipulations such as number of points and certain driving convictions which have to be checked with them, but beyond that I don’t think they care. Never been asked about any other convictions.

In this case, if they employ you in the warehouse, they don’t care as in their clients don’t care, so go for it.

I just checked the additional driver form I had to fill out recently for my job. As above it only asks about motoring related convictions and prosecutions.

I’d say what have you got to lose? They can’t sack you as they never asked for your convictions in the first place. I’d throw caution to the wind and go at it with confidence [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Thanks all for some very kind and positive replies. I made a massive mistake a few years ago and my life was turned upside down, so it has been a relief to get back to work as I have always been a grafter. My worry regarding the insurance was that insurance companies usually exchange details, but my thinking is if I can get through the lessons and test and get my licence without them checking, then when it gets to the insuring stage if they find out and they are not happy at least I will have my licence and maybe look for work elsewhere.

Just another question, how about when I am trained on the road, I presume I will have to be insured, will nothing come to light then?

Once again, thanks so much for the replies.

I believe as long as you have the provisional entitlement you will be covered by the driving schools cover. I’ve never had any questions relating to insurance from a driving school.

stuwozere1:
I’d say what have you got to lose? They can’t sack you as they never asked for your convictions in the first place. I’d throw caution to the wind and go at it with confidence [emoji106]

Not sure on what basis you make such a statement. I think driving is one of the easiest jobs to be sacked from (but mostly underhand methods). e.g. given extra loads for delivery that cannot be completed in time… no use complaining one just has to move on. Working back-to-back (night shift/day shift truck sharing) - I found myself dumped with starting 2-3 hours late (truck late) and then getting back late on my shift… I had the sack for what reason! First tramping job I had one of the traffic managers didn’t like me - I had cab swopping… after 2-3 days I just gave up.

It seems you are fortunate in working for a good company who are too busy to ask questions. You don’t say what business your firm are in - if there was any requirement for a DBS check then you would have to disclose (if you did not you would be liable for prosecution). So far the only DBS/criminal record check I know is in the recovery business.

Like others I’d say ‘go for it’. Keep a distance from confrontational types, hopefully no collisions and you’ll be fine.

pminsuffolk:
This is my first post and apologies if it may be a bit long, but I am after some information and I hope the experience and knowledge on here might be able to answer my questions. I have a bit of a dilemma and have searched the forum for information and although finding similar references to my situation, none actually give me the info I am looking for.

I’ll explain my situation. I have an unspent conviction (and will never be spent) which does not involve motoring offences. I am currently in a minimum wage job and have been with my current employer about 18 months. When I was interviewed for the job I was not asked if I had any convictions (on the application form or during interview), therefore I did not disclose this information. I have settled well into my job and have had no problems.

The company has Class 1 and Class 2 trucks and they are always looking for new drivers and they are willing to subsidise a person to take a Class 2 driving course with test at the end of it. I think the training is done by a third party, not the company. This interests me as I would like the opportunity to try my hand at driving as a new career. Obviously the company will do all the relevant paperwork etc. but I would like to know the following before I decide whether to go ahead with the application:

Obviously I may need to provide some more information in this post, I do not want to jeopardise my employment with the company so I would appreciate any comments.

askthe.police.uk/Content/Q89.htm

There you go, I assume you received a sentence if the conviction is never going to be spent and a serious conviction at that, chill, if the employer had not asked for any previous convictions do not stress.

They would of had to clearly state, do you have any spent or unspent convictions on an application, i would suggest they did not pose that question so it is all good.

A

discoman:
They would of had to clearly state, do you have any spent or unspent convictions on an application, i would suggest they did not pose that question so it is all good.

Not that it counts for OP (as his conviction is never spent) but if anyone has a spent conviction and an employer asks, they only have to disclose unspent. The spent part of the question can be ignored ie you don’t have to declare spent convictions as this is in breach of Rehab Act to be asked

It’s legal to answer no if they ask if you have spent convictions.

Caveat is though you MUST disclose certain offences spent or unspent depending on job your going for. Rule of thumb if a DBS is required then you have to declare as it would show up anyway.

That’s not to say having an unspent stops you getting work as it’s entirely dependent on what type of driving it is

For example Road Recovery has a DBS check and you wouldn’t get the role with an unspent

Plenty other opportunities out there, only OP knows what his conviction was for so only they can decide if it would be a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk