Unnecessary Tachography Usage

I’m lucky enough to be in a position where I don’t use a tachograph for work. As the vehicles are classed as “Plant” or “Crane” or something.

Anyway, I don’t need to worry about a tacho. I still stick to the driving hours with respect to breaks and the like as otherwise I get overtired.

However, most of the trucks still have the facility fitted to them.

Legally, what is the position if I do decide to stick a tacho into the truck to keep a track of my driving time/speed/shift time etc.

An example of a shift would be one of my Horse Racing jobs.

0600-1030 with a 30 minute break, then onsite until 1900. Whilst onsite I would probably only drive for about 30 minutes. Moving around lifts. Sometimes not at all. The engine would be run for a variety of reasons, then at 1900 or so I would have a repeat of the drive out. 17 hour shift?

Reason for using a tacho? Speed cameras. Can’t use a GPS as it isn’t calibrated…

I wouldn’t use one for every shift, but I thought I’d ask…

There is nothing to stop you using a tachograph if one is fitted to the vehicle. It might be an idea to write on the charts that the journey is EC exempt, otherwise people will look at the charts and assume that EC hours apply.
One thing I’m curious about. You say your day is EC exempt, that puts you under Domestic Regs, which limit driving to 10 hours and duty to 11 hours. There are some exemptions from Domestic Regs, but your description of a typical day doesn’t seem to fit any of them. Exactly what is the vehicle and what is it you do? PM me if you don’t want to post those details on the forum

Ahh, well, I’m not entirely sure what hours I drive to to be honest.

The vehicles are apparently classed as “Plant” I have now been told. I drive a platform access truck (cherrypicker).

smeserver:
. I drive a platform access truck (cherrypicker).

Bit of a headache watching out for the low bridges eh?
Oooh! I feel dizzy. :unamused:

Salut, David.

Travelling height is only about 3.5m, I only drive 7.5t at the moment and have a licence for platforms up to 26m (VMP26).

I suppose the regs would be similar for crane drivers. Any crane drivers here ■■ :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :sunglasses:

I dunno, but can I borrow your truck :stuck_out_tongue: It would be amazing to watch the bike racing. I could even lower myself down to Rossis level and adjust his brakes while he is racing :smiley:

There is nothing to stop you inserting a card & if you are exempt driving hours then you remain exempt.
One of the companies I do work for runs recovery vehicles with tacho’s in for wage hours reasons & the only thing I would say is ALWAYS write driving hours exempt on the chart & ALWAYS pull the chart if stopped by the VOSA / Police as it makes life a lot, lot simpler.
If you don’t need a chart but have one in the head they give you all sorts of grief, especially the Police who know zb all, but think they know everything.