Unloading on Double Yellows

It is legal for delivery vans, trucks etc to park on double yellow lines for up to 40mins in most England and wales areas, but you must not at any time cause an obstruction, if you are causing an obstruction the most likely outcome would be that a constable or traffic officer will move you onto a more suitable place unless this is impossible to do due to the load, the company you are delivering for may get a bill from the local council for a licence you should have bought from them in order for you to make such a delivery that would otherwise block a main carriageway etc but this is extremely rare.

For more info and a handy card for your cab “The Driver’s Guide to Loading and Unloading
in England and Wales” by the FTA just call 03717 11 11 11 and ask for Product Code: 4194 cost £1.00 for members and £1;50 for non members. or just visit their site.

shop.fta.co.uk/Default.aspx

There are a lot of tradesmen around who think they can park on double yellows just because they’re working in a property.

Muckaway:
There are a lot of tradesmen around who think they can park on double yellows just because they’re working in a property.

And also think they have free-reign to use loading bays, when in many decriminalised areas they need a trade permit and a liveried vehicle.

And don’t start me on the ones who park in the most inconvenient places in yards, delivery areas etc at premises so they don’t have to carry their toolbox too far, while getting in the way of folk who have pallets of goods to deliver there.

Glen A9:

Muckaway:

And also think they have free-reign to use loading bays, when in many decriminalised areas they need a trade permit and a liveried vehicle.

And don’t start me on the ones who park in the most inconvenient places in yards, delivery areas etc at premises so they don’t have to carry their toolbox too far, while getting in the way of folk who have pallets of goods to deliver there.

It wouldn’t matter how big you made a yard as soon as you let a van driver in he’ll be in your way! :slight_smile:

If it’s not tradesmen abandoning vans in merchants it’s the merchants leaving forklifts/Bobcats in the only empty aggregate bay. Why? It’s obvious a tipper will be arriving to tip into it.

TiredAndEmotional:

Uncle Albie:

TiredAndEmotional:

Uncle Albie:
Not true. You need to read the rules pal.

moneysavingexpert.com/travel/parking-rules

I think you are missing my point but never mind.The HC is only a guide as I am sure you are aware.Try looking a little deeper.
Not as black and white as you make out.Many an lorry has been prosecuted for unloading on double yellows.

Oh my mistake…I thought the Highway Code would have been the best place to look but it’s moneysavingexpert is it? :stuck_out_tongue:

Never said that did I but I will say you are still missing my point.
Sorry 2 bother you.

Ah now don’t take on so Albie! I’m always willing to learn something new, fire away! :slight_smile:

Muckaway:
If it’s not tradesmen abandoning vans in merchants it’s the merchants leaving forklifts/Bobcats in the only empty aggregate bay. Why? It’s obvious a tipper will be arriving to tip into it.

Bury the buggers, they might take the hint.

When I was doing work for Halfords, I had a delivery at their Oswestry shop which was on a very narrow one way street with double yellows everywhere. Not wishing to block the road, I put two wheels on the pavement, but the manager came rushing out and warned me to stay on the road. I went round again and then, while I unloaded their two cages, all the traffic, including busses, had to mount the pavement on the other side. Apparently that was okay, but I would have been certain to get a ticket.

It used to be on the left here:
google.co.uk/maps/@52.85920 … 312!8i6656

Santa:
When I was doing work for Halfords, I had a delivery at their Oswestry shop which was on a very narrow one way street with double yellows everywhere. Not wishing to block the road, I put two wheels on the pavement, but the manager came rushing out and warned me to stay on the road. I went round again and then, while I unloaded their two cages, all the traffic, including busses, had to mount the pavement on the other side. Apparently that was okay, but I would have been certain to get a ticket.

It used to be on the left here:
google.co.uk/maps/@52.85920 … 312!8i6656

Nice link,can’t beat street view in my opinion.