Unladen weight?

Had to make a delivery in a hight st. but due to roadworks, the only way I could find to get near it was over a bridge with a weight restriction.

I realised I had no idea what my unladen weight was (it was my last drop, so was practically empty)

The VI plate in the cab and VIN plate attached to the chassis indicate the Gross weight, Combined weight (■■) and the max. axle loads, but no mention of the unladen weight. Is this normal?

Cheers, Nez

Weight restrictions are for the plated gross weight of your vehicle unless specified otherwise

The only way to find out the unladen (empty) weight of an LGV is to fill it with fuel and then weighbridge it with you sitting in the drivers seat

Nezza:
Had to make a delivery in a hight st. but due to roadworks, the only way I could find to get near it was over a bridge with a weight restriction.

I realised I had no idea what my unladen weight was (it was my last drop, so was practically empty)

The VI plate in the cab and VIN plate attached to the chassis indicate the Gross weight, Combined weight (■■) and the max. axle loads, but no mention of the unladen weight. Is this normal?

Cheers, Nez

You shouldn’t really of gone over the bridge but it happens. Combined weight will be the train weight, i.e if your pulling a trailer, the max axle weights will be the design weights but you must go on the column with UK weights on. Yes it is normal to not have the unladen weight, you’ll need to fill up with diesel, take all your straps etc, all your gear, maps, night out stuff etc and put it on a weighbridge.

Do not pass if over 7.5 tonne GVW on the plating certificate. Unless another sign is adjacent to it like this.

It may say Except for Loading. (Means Unloading too)

Maximum Axle Weight. Low Loaders and Cranes. Unusual on normal roads, probably used on bridge structures.

You can drive there with anything you like for 9 miles

Cheers all for the Info.

There were a couple of coppers and some locals stood near by, so I went to have a chat with them to see what other ways in there were. The only options I had was a nasty reverse against traffic followed by narrow residential streets, or the bridge. The bridge was marked 6T or 11T for busses.

The locals said that trucks used the bridge all the time so the coppers
said they’d look the other way if I chose the bridge.

I figured that as I was empty and other trucks regularly used it, it would take me, so I asked the coppers to stop anyone else going over whilst I went over to keep the weight to a minimum, and over I went.

I didn’t end up in a pile of bricks and Tarmac!

The diversion signs were hopeless, obviously only thought through for cars. Once I got home, I pulled the area up on Google maps and reckon I’ve a much easier route in avoiding the bridge. I’ve got to drop there next week too.

Nez

Nezza:
The diversion signs were hopeless, obviously only thought through for cars. Once I got home, I pulled the area up on Google maps and reckon I’ve a much easier route in avoiding the bridge. I’ve got to drop there next week too.

Nez

I got an s7000 pro to help me with such conundrums, but your right it pays to remember diversions will be set up for cars and not HGV.

I followed a customer once down a lane to the site fully loaded at 26t, now I knew there was a weak bridge down there but seeing as he holds an HGV licence I figured we’d be stopping before the bridge.

Not so, we arrived at the 3t weak bridge and there was no possibility of turning around.

So I waited, then waited some more and when no-one was in sight crossed the bridge. :unamused:

So no-one saw it, therefore it didn’t happen. :laughing: I was going to phone up the Highways department and tell them their signs were wrong as it wasn’t that weak after all, but in the end I decided against it.

8wheels:
I followed a customer once down a lane to the site fully loaded at 26t, now I knew there was a weak bridge down there but seeing as he holds an HGV licence I figured we’d be stopping before the bridge.

Not so, we arrived at the 3t weak bridge and there was no possibility of turning around.

So I waited, then waited some more and when no-one was in sight crossed the bridge. :unamused:

So no-one saw it, therefore it didn’t happen. :laughing: I was going to phone up the Highways department and tell them their signs were wrong as it wasn’t that weak after all, but in the end I decided against it.

Lol, i wouldn’t of hung about getting over that bridge.

Whats the fine for going through a weight limit? I have to go through them all day long to get to places, i just go on the, “if i’ve got paper work and the address is within i’m ok”, i dont take the ■■■■ and try and keep it to the shortest route. Wont go over weak bridges though.

I have a number to call, which is on speed dial, if you fancy coming over Swarkestone Bridge with anything over 7.5tonne I would appreciate if you kept your numberplate clean. It makes it so difficult for the camera to identify the lorry :stuck_out_tongue:

It isn’t rocket science to identify a weak bridge or a sign that prohibits heavy vehicles :open_mouth: