University Project - New Truck Concept

Hi,

I’m doing a project as part of my University degree - a truck concept. I’ve got a few ideas but wanted to get some thoughts on what you think are the biggest hassles of the job. From reading through posts I’ve found a few…

• Reversing (maybe a cab that raises up and rotates 360 degrees) (or remote control - get out and control truck remotely - maybe also good for dodgy ice road/cliff edge truckers abroad by controlling from a distance in safety)
  • Showers/toilet (in cab/portable shower - does that even exist in non US trucks?) (GPS unit displaying toilet stops)
  • Height restrictions/bridges
  • Stowaways
  • In cab smoking/dirt/bodily fluids :laughing: from previous drivers (washable fabric surfaces?)
  • Satnav’s (on windscreen display)
  • Tiredness
  • Separate out of cab sleeper capsules for Belgium?!!
  • Aggression towards other road users (in cab monitoring and feedback)
  • Accidents (24 hour recording black box to monitor and prove road incidents)
  • More homely interior/feeling of safety at night? (closes up as a shell)
  • More comfortable seats in particular cabs.

I also wanted to ask about tyre shredding - is this dangerous? How does it happen?
And tacographs - any problems with these? Are the digital ones better?
Also, do you often take passengers in a cab? Isn’t the passenger seat wasted space for most of the time?

If you could list anything that might be a good area for improvement, or just things that annoy you about the job with regards to the vehicle and road (not just the boss) that would be helpful.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

Some of your ideas seem good, but more in driver comfort should be the way forward, for example, the american trucks have on board toilet, shower, tv, sofa which turns into a bed cooking and washing facilities. The americans often travel great distances and away from home a lot, in the uk we have trampers both european and domestic with the latter being away mon-fri/sat, whereas some of the european trampers are away for 3 weeks to a month and sometimes more, so these comforts are important…BUT bosses are looking at ways to cut spending rather than increase, and COST is the problem. There may be a few bosses wishing to spend big money on a flagship truck with all the bells and whistles as they say, and maybe an owner driver, but thats about it, as you have noticed maybe, the overall length of a vehicles combination has been increased recently but companies spend their money on more floor space, hence the extra long trailers, and dont believe the ■■■■■■■■ about companies saving the environment with longer vehicles meaning they will reduce the loads going on other vehicles, its purely for their own gain, 2 for 1+. There was a company who trialled one trailer pulling another, the trial went well with the rear trailer following in the footsteps of the forward trailer, our DEPT for Transport refused it a road permit so its just sitting around, so i cant see at the moment them allowing extra length just to give a driver more comfort, and there are a couple of american trucks in the uk working, but with a reduced length trailer I believe as most would put them overlength. Digi tachos were brought in as a spy in the cab because the old system was open to abuse, whereas the digi keeps a closer watchful eye to the minute, but employers still take advantage of the hours regulations, and force drivers to work 15 hours a day with only a 9 hour rest before the next 15 hour day, and that 9 hour rest includes travelling to and from base, eating, showering, and not leaving much left with which to get some sleep. Reversing isnt a problem if a driver watches what he is doing, and there would be no need to have a cab that lifts and rotates in my opinion. Low bridges are a problem for drivers who are not familiar with a certain area and can come across them, and often is the case where there is no room to turn around a large vehicle, but there are also idiotic drivers who will try and get under a 4m bridge knowing their vehicle is 4.2 for example, there are sat navs available especially for truckers and will list bridge heights etc. What this industry needs is a good shake up with lots of help from the government, for example parking is a big issue, especially with the large influx of foreign vehicles taking the same spaces we used to, and often leaves other hauliers having to go on to the next available one, but with our bosses pushing drivers to do the extra mile and hour, and the regulations that control us, leaves us with no choice at times but to break the law to get to a safe parking place for the night. As in many other european countries, there are parking laybys in between services, and often with toilet facilities, this is what one government promised us a few years ago, but never initiated it, plus we also have the problem of payment, for not every haulier tells its drivers to park in comfort and security and they will pay, a lot of them dont, forcing the driver to overnight without facilities like a layby for example.I have covered a few of your ideas so will leave it some nof the others to add or detract what i have written, and good luck with your project.

Thanks for the reply. I see what you’re saying, more driver comfort and facilities on board, but at no extra cost.

So you usually either park in service stations or lay-by’s? I suppose there’s no other option.

With reversing I just meant if you happen to get to a low bridge and can’t turn round, then have to reverse a long way back up a narrow road. I understand that drivers should check the route before hand, but some have got into that situation.

100% agree with the using the passenger seat space to a greater use!

having tried last xmas to control my little helicopter which my daughter bought me dont think a remote control truck is a goer!

war1974:
100% agree with the using the passenger seat space to a greater use!

having tried last xmas to control my little helicopter which my daughter bought me dont think a remote control truck is a goer!

Yeah the idea came from watching a documentary about trucking around the Himalayas (or somewhere) - where trucks/drivers tended to fall down cliffs on a regular basis. Just for the point of getting out and having better judgement on distance when your wheel is 2 inches from a vertical drop.

Personally I think all trailers should be no mare than 4meters like they have in Europe ( 1 good thing about EU )

Better facilities for drivers ( I often work night as do a lot of others not many places open or if they are lack of staff decent facilities )

Some of the driver comforts in cab should be standard if you asked the designer to live in 1 for a week would they :question: & if they were how would they find it :question: probably what to change quite a bit

animal:
Some of the driver comforts in cab should be standard if you asked the designer to live in 1 for a week would they :question: & if they were how would they find it :question: probably what to change quite a bit

Surprised you have to rely on service stations, lay-by’s and hedges I must admit.

bobbybobson:

animal:

Surprised you have to rely on service stations, lay-by’s and hedges I must admit.

Way to go dude. Good luck with any more help btw.

No American trucks have showers and toilets, apart from some special builds and custom jobs. The have a fridge, a bigger bunk and better storage - most other things like TV, DVD, microwave and inverter will be options, or provided by the driver. Personally, I wouldn’t want a shower, and there is no way on God’s green earth I would want a toilet! Who wants to sh*t in the room in which they sleep?

I’m not sure about the idea of a swivelling cab…wouldn’t you just end up staring at the front of your trailer? Most of us will see reversing as part of the job, and not a problem

By tyre shredding do you mean blow-outs? if so, they do happen and are dangerous. Most drivers will have seen trailer floors and air tanks destroyed by exploding tyres, and the debris left on the road is another hazard.

Whilst I see your intentions are good, I think they’re misguided. Truck development tends to be evolutionary rather than revolutionary, a little bit at a time. The most revolutionary thing I’ve seen in 25 years is the Renault Magnum, which effectively turned the cab into a square box and plonked it on the chassis creating a flat floor. It was different, but hardly earth shattering.

sayersy:
No American trucks have showers and toilets, apart from some special builds and custom jobs. The have a fridge, a bigger bunk and better storage - most other things like TV, DVD, microwave and inverter will be options, or provided by the driver. Personally, I wouldn’t want a shower, and there is no way on God’s green earth I would want a toilet! Who wants to sh*t in the room in which they sleep?

I’m not sure about the idea of a swivelling cab…wouldn’t you just end up staring at the front of your trailer? Most of us will see reversing as part of the job, and not a problem

By tyre shredding do you mean blow-outs? if so, they do happen and are dangerous. Most drivers will have seen trailer floors and air tanks destroyed by exploding tyres, and the debris left on the road is another hazard.

Whilst I see your intentions are good, I think they’re misguided. Truck development tends to be evolutionary rather than revolutionary, a little bit at a time. The most revolutionary thing I’ve seen in 25 years is the Renault Magnum, which effectively turned the cab into a square box and plonked it on the chassis creating a flat floor. It was different, but hardly earth shattering.

Yeah the swiveling cab would have to raise up. These are just some way out thoughts that I had yesterday, it’s not like I’m going to definitely choose one, they were more for initiating some feedback. The point of a student project is to be revolutionary, however it usually becomes more along the lines of a vehicle restyle.

bobbybobson:

sayersy:

Yeah the swiveling cab would have to raise up. These are just some way out thoughts that I had yesterday, it’s not like I’m going to definitely choose one, they were more for initiating some feedback. The point of a student project is to be revolutionary, however it usually becomes more along the lines of a vehicle restyle.

The biggest issue for me is space - if you can create more living space, I’d love you. Possibly look at a way for the cab to extend backwards when parked up, in the same way that some motor homes have slide-out sections on the sides.

Can it extend backwards though with a trailer behind? Wouldn’t it need to extend upwards? But probably not sideways with other vehicles parked alongside.

bobbybobson:
Can it extend backwards though with a trailer behind? Wouldn’t it need to extend upwards?

There is a gap between truck and trailer so thatthe trailer can turn. As long as the vehicle is parked straight, it could be utilised. Trucks come with high roof options, so extending upwards just creates empty space.

sayersy:

bobbybobson:
Can it extend backwards though with a trailer behind? Wouldn’t it need to extend upwards?

There is a gap between truck and trailer so thatthe trailer can turn. As long as the vehicle is parked straight, it could be utilised. Trucks come with high roof options, so extending upwards just creates empty space.

Sorry… what do you mean by that? What’s wrong with space above? Is it storage space that you want or space lower down to move about and sleep?

bobbybobson:

sayersy:

bobbybobson:

Sorry… what do you mean by that? What’s wrong with space above? Is it storage space that you want or space lower down to move about and sleep?

Space to move around. If you create space above us it gives us the ability to jump up and down…but not much else.

sayersy:

bobbybobson:

sayersy:

bobbybobson:

Space to move around. If you create space above us it gives us the ability to jump up and down…but not much else.

OK, that’s what I thought.

This looks fairly revolutionary…

(which makes me wonder about aerodynamics, speed restrictions and 2 trucks battling it out at 56mph hogging 2 lanes)

bobbybobson:

sayersy:

bobbybobson:

sayersy:

bobbybobson:

OK, that’s what I thought.

This looks fairly revolutionary…

ok, but it wouldn’t fit into the European dimensions. Americans can do what they like, because length limits only apply to trailers. Over here the length limit applies to the whole vehicle, so a long cab like that mean sacrificing cargo space. But basically that’s just a truck with fancy styling.

Yeah.

I just asked on the other part of the forum as to why American trucks have longer cabs/noses and someone mentioned so you don’t have to tip them to get to the engine. So I suppose with EU cabs you HAVE to tip them because the engine has to be underneath due to length restrictions.

bobbybobson:
Yeah.

I just asked on the other part of the forum as to why American trucks have longer cabs/noses and someone mentioned so you don’t have to tip them to get to the engine. So I suppose with EU cabs you HAVE to tip them because the engine has to be underneath due to length restrictions.

Yes, if we had bonnets, we lose cargo space.