UNIVERSAL DASHMOUNTS - Any Suggestions?

With the use of hand held mobile phones being banned from the beginning of next month, has anyone got any suggestions for a universal phone holder that fits the following criteria.

1. Robust enough not to have bits break off in normal usage. :imp:
  2. Won’t ‘fry’ when it gets 24 volts up it’s Jacksy. :open_mouth:
  3. Either flat backed so you can attached adhesive Velcro and move it from vehicle to vehicle, :bulb: or
  4. Has sucker pads to attach it to the windscreen. :stuck_out_tongue:
  5. ACTUALLY WORKS. :unamused:

Details of cost and suppliers would be appreciared.

Krankee:
a universal phone holder that fits the following criteria.

1. Robust enough not to have bits break off in normal usage. :imp:
  2. Won’t ‘fry’ when it gets 24 volts up it’s Jacksy. :open_mouth:
  3. Either flat backed so you can attached adhesive Velcro and move it from vehicle to vehicle, :bulb: or
  4. Has sucker pads to attach it to the windscreen. :stuck_out_tongue:
  5. ACTUALLY WORKS. :unamused:

Well, with the exception for no 2 in your list you could go to your local Halfords and have a look at their range on holders - they do one that clips into the air vents, so depending on what motor you use it might work. They aren’t too expensive either.

I use a holder that actually plugs into the cigarette lighter (again from Halfords), but it will fry your chip when you mistakenly plug it into the 24V outlet. On the plus side it can be used as a hands-free (erm, not strictly on the motorway, noise etc) and is pretty sturdy. I am using it now for some time, but I am driving mostly MAN’s with the engine in half up the roof, so there is not much chance of me accidentally knocking it out.

You could also try the websides from Argos, Index or Maplin and have a look what they have to offer - hth…

You could also look on E.Bay for in car holders.

I’ve been looking myself the last few days for one for my Nokia 3410,and specifically at the sort that plug direct into the cigarette socket,with the holder being at the end of the plug.

Seen one that does 12/24v,and including P&P,it worked out at less than a tenner,and as well as a holder,it charges your phone as well.Priced a similar item in Birch on Saturday at £55.

At least â– â– â– â–  Turpin wore a mask!!!

I have tried just about everything on the market & find most of it to be at best poor.
Try Blue tooth, It works even when out of the truck & does not rely on any external power source, other than for charging & can be set to automaticlly answer the phone totally hands free.
I’m not sure exactly how robust it is, but it does stand up to normal use & you only need the ear piece on you.

I prefer to keep the phone in my shirt/jacket pocket, and use an earpiece plugged into the phone. It means that I can take calls when I am unloading or hitching up. I’ve got a Nokia 6210 with auto answer and voice dialling. I don’t have to fiddle about when changing from unit to unit.

alan:
Try Blue tooth, It works even when out of the truck & does not rely on any external power source, other than for charging & can be set to automaticlly answer the phone totally hands free…

Erm, Alan, my friend - I wonder why you didn’t include a price here - is it because of the three digits before the comma? :wink:

Bluetooth is one possibility of course, but besides from being still a very unproven and unsafe technology, it is also extraordinarily expensive. I think the cheapest rate for the system is £99 from the Carphone Warehouse (and even that is a very special offer and limited)

Tralfamadore:
I prefer to keep the phone in my shirt/jacket pocket, and use an earpiece plugged into the phone.

As of next month, that becomes illegal when driving. I have posted the legislation in the FAQ forum.

I can’t see how that’s illegal, Krankee. He doesn’t have to press any keys to answer?