Units

What truck units do you prefer? Make? Also 42 or 62?

I prefer Volvo’s myself, and always a 6x2 configuration in a tractor unit over a 4x2, just looks bigger and better!

I drive 4x2s and 6x2s but I wouldn’t say I have a favourite, they both handle differently and there are advantages and disadvantages to both. 6x2s sit more square-footedly on the road, 4x2s are far more manoeuvrable.

Easily bored of a Volvo ipointandgo, scanias are good if you get a big one - autos are ■■■■.

Ivecos are fantastic, the cabs are just unbelievable in size and functionality. Gear boxes are not the best but not the worst.

Dafs, poor mans truck. Would never touch one unless an XF. Cabs are shocking.

New MANs - again perfect if they had a Volvo box. Got that ■■■■ Volkswagen interior.

for me its a 6x2 unit only driven scania and renault the the joy of a 6x2 unit is if your light enough lift the tag up and its happy days

Hi

This may sound silly, but i have never quite understood the configuration of a 6x2 or 4x2

Is a 4x2 with only 1 rear axle on the unit and is it because there are only in effect 4 wheels on the back?

Silly question but thought id ask! :grimacing:

Ben

bigfoot:
Hi

This may sound silly, but i have never quite understood the configuration of a 6x2 or 4x2

Is a 4x2 with only 1 rear axle on the unit and is it because there are only in effect 4 wheels on the back?

Ben

4x2 is one axle driving and one steering. 6x2 is one axle driving and two steering although the steering axle behind the main front axle doesn’t turn half as much as the front ones. 6x4 is two driving powered axles and one steering.

I think the 4 comes from either the 4 wheels on the back or if you count them individually, ie one set of two wheels, to two sets of 4 wheels on one axle.

if you dont understand its never a silly question, i think you will find the front axle is 2 as it only steers the rear drive axle is 4 , but if the front drives as well as steers it becomes 4 , ie 4x4 land rover, after that it gets complicated and people more knowledable than me that could explain, the old i spy book did explain the list but i have not seen my copy for about 35 years.

Sam Millar:
6x2 is one axle driving and two steering

Or one steering, one driving and one tag or pusher.

Thanks for that hotel magnum and Sam Millar

It makes a bit more sense to me now. Got a bit more of an idea now, cheers.

Ben

bigfoot:
Hi

Ben

First number divided by 2 is the number of axles. Second number divided by 2 is the number of driven axles.

First number is the number of wheels with a pair of wheels on the same end of the axle only counted as 1, so 4 wheeler, 6 wheeler or 8 wheeler, even though a 4 wheeler has 6 wheels, a 6 wheeler 8 or 10 wheels and an 8 wheeler 12 wheels. :stuck_out_tongue:

Second number is the number of driven wheels with again a pair of wheels on the same end of an axle counted as 1.

Coffeeholic:

bigfoot:
Hi

Ben

First number divided by 2 is the number of axles. Second number divided by 2 is the number of driven axles.

First number is the number of wheels with a pair of wheels on the same end of the axle only counted as 1, so 4 wheeler, 6 wheeler or 8 wheeler, even though a 4 wheeler has 6 wheels, a 6 wheeler 8 or 10 wheels and an 8 wheeler 12 wheels. :stuck_out_tongue:

Second number is the number of driven wheels with again a pair of wheels on the same end of an axle counted as 1.

That even cleared a couple of things up for me! :slight_smile: