Unit,trailer,and moffett

Hi there can anyone help,looking for a unit with a sleeper cab,and trailer with moffet.hoping to start up on my own the as of next month got olicence,parking,and contracts,but now looking for a decent set up as cheep as poss.had a quote from MAN and was not impressed £2500 down and £1000 a month just for unit :open_mouth: with R&M of cause,is that on a par or am i being a bit tight.Carnt find a trailer with moffett any where.If anyone could help me i live in the Birmingham area any advice would be greatfully receved,and do you think i am going down the right route by leasing and not buying thanks alot and keep up the good work brill site :smiley:

simple answer is buy a moffet and get a standard trailer modified to carry it.
£1,000 per month for a unit? must be some nice work you’ve got lined up.

paul b:

Hi Paul b thanks for that.The company i work for have been relocated to Doncaster (been taken over) and the other part of the company i used to work for are using out side transport for all of there goods,and six other companies on the site use outside transport aswell.I`ve been a busy little bee and all of them have said they would rather use me as they know me and grew up with some of them,plus the company who have taken over the other half of the company that i work for now use outside transport.I get on with the transport manager and she has given me a price list of the company they use and i know i can beat their prices by a good margin so hopfully i will be rushed off my feet,plus most of them have said they will pay me 1 WEEK from invoice for the first few months to get me started so what do you think a good start or what?

greendisco123:
[and she has given me a price list of the company they use and i know i can beat their prices by a good margin

never try to beat anyone by a good margin :wink: if you have to undercut try a small margin :laughing:

try and get the work by providing a better service :laughing: it works for me

Denis F:

greendisco123:
[and she has given me a price list of the company they use and i know i can beat their prices by a good margin

never try to beat anyone by a good margin :wink: if you have to undercut try a small margin :laughing:

Spot on Denis, thrash them on service, match their price, its the only way.

The rate will never go back up, once you have carved it up.

Also, NEVER take their word about work loads and early payment, work on the basis, that the ■■■■■■■■ is 50% true.

Denis F:

greendisco123:

Hi Denis F if you saw there prices you would understand what i mean.I would still be making a very good profit :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: ,and my service would be second to none with the right set up :wink:

You missed an ideal retirement auction last week here in Co.Down :exclamation: :exclamation: :cry:
Reid Farm Supplies had amongst other things a couple of tri-axle flats and curtainsiders with Moffet fittings on the rear as well as 2/3 Moffet Mounties going under the hammer.
Also a 6x2 Scania and a 6x2 ERF (older models) but a very nice 2005 Foden 6x2 450 Cat went back to the dealer in Portadown (TBF Thompson) because it was on contract hire,all the units where fitted with PTO’s.
Ring Bill Reid on 02897 565356 as he may not have got rid of everything. :wink:

greendisco123:

paul b:

Hi Paul b thanks for that.The company i work for have been relocated to Doncaster (been taken over) and the other part of the company i used to work for are using out side transport for all of there goods,and six other companies on the site use outside transport aswell.I`ve been a busy little bee and all of them have said they would rather use me as they know me and grew up with some of them,plus the company who have taken over the other half of the company that i work for now use outside transport.I get on with the transport manager and she has given me a price list of the company they use and i know i can beat their prices by a good margin so hopfully i will be rushed off my feet,plus most of them have said they will pay me 1 WEEK from invoice for the first few months to get me started so what do you think a good start or what?

was in a very simular position when i started, promissed this n that and for the first six months or so it held true but then in affect lost my main costomer because a freight forwarder they’d been using for their artic loads started quoting them ridiculously low prices for the rigid work which i’d been covering, can’t blame the owner as it was a big saving for him and after all he’s in the job to make money, but i set out with a minimum i was prepared to work for and wasn’t going to get involved in a price war and end up earning nothing so i moved on. moral of the story is, nothing is cast in stone and you can’t take anything for granted where monies involved.
cm mag has always got a few advertissing secondhand moffets n trailers some i’ve seen will also do the work on the trailer to suit the machine they want to sell you.
as for the unit, everyone who’s ever done the job has been in the same possition, buy older second hand to see if the job works out but run the risk of buying a dog thats gona cost big money to keep on the road or buy nearly new and hopely have minimum maintainence? i’ve had old wagons and took my chances but spent good money on them, but the thing is, if works dropped off which it does for everyone at some point, i’ve had no big payment to make while things pick up again, you pays yer money and makes yer choice i spose.

Big Truck:
You missed an ideal retirement auction last week here in Co.Down :exclamation: :exclamation: :cry:
Reid Farm Supplies had amongst other things a couple of tri-axle flats and curtainsiders with Moffet fittings on the rear as well as 2/3 Moffet Mounties going under the hammer.
Also a 6x2 Scania and a 6x2 ERF (older models) but a very nice 2005 Foden 6x2 450 Cat went back to the dealer in Portadown (TBF Thompson) because it was on contract hire,all the units where fitted with PTO’s.
Ring Bill Reid on 02897 565356 as he may not have got rid of everything. :wink:

Thanks for that Big Truck i will ring them and find out thanks again.

Thanks Paul b, i know nothing is set in stone,but i know it sounds funny but the lads on the site have a code of practice "look after your own first"and as i grew up with most of them and go drinking with them weekends.
We have talked about it for a while between us all and they have alot of contacts plus family members with there own buisness that will put work my way so i know its a big risk but one i am willing to take and work hard to make a success of.
Iknow you have all heard this before:roll: :unamused:but i honesley think i can make a go of it thanks for all of your feedback any more info would be great and thanks again for all of you for a brill site.

:smiley: Good luck with your endevour. My top tips would be firstly get yourself a good accountant. You would be suprised just exactly what you can offset and claim back on your taxes etc. and how much that is worth to you overall. Secondly shop around for things like diesel. Don’t just fill up at regular places as they mey not be the cheapest and just acouple of pence a litre makes a huge difference overall. Get several fuel cards use one for a bit then use use another and the first one will soon be wondering if they can offer you a better deal :smiley: Keep an eye on the small things they soon add up.

Oh and some insurance companies will offer a discount if you have done any additional training such as SAFED or even manufacturers courses. :smiley: :wink:

Denis F:
[

Worked for me too, can’t emphasise enough the importance of those 2 statements. If they think so highly of you they’ll give you work for the same money. Then if the opposition drops the price they’ll give you a fair crack at matching before sacking. And you’ll be able to drop then if necessary, according to what you say about the price you can accept.

Good luck. No better feeling working for yourself as long as the money’s right.

never try to beat anyone by a good margin if you have to undercut try a small margin

try and get the work by providing a better service it works for me

True words indeed, u need to match the service and improve on it tenfold, DONT drop the price unless you have to and even then if you do have to dont drop it so low you have no room for manoeuvre and will cause you a problem making a profit and I dont mean a measly 5 % or less cos thats nowt.

Shop around for the best deals on all makes of truck, £1000 per month is alot especially as you are just startin up, I would look for sumthin decent but at a reasonable cost and build from that. If it all goes according to plan, you can move to phase 2 of your venture and upgrade your kit at a later date.

Remember this :

Minimum outlay = Maximum Profit

Keep you costs as low as you can,

I wish you all the best, keep us all posted as to how you get on.

Gluck now

Thanks for all your advice, i have sat down and gone through a few figures and think i will get away with a 6/8 legger,thinking of getting a second hand brick wagon and sell the crain to my old boss who works on the bricks,fill the middel of the bed in and fit a moffett on the back what do you all think advice most welcome cheers all.

not a bad idea, strangely cranes fetch daft money compared to what you pay for the wagon with the crane fitted, only thing might be max lenght, not sure if the moffet when hooked up is classed as part of the wagon? would’ve thought it was so maybe you’d need to shorten the bed? what i would say is, if you can find full time work for a rigid at decent rates, you’ll make a fair bit more than running an artic, insurance, running costs etc.
only prob i found with the long wheel base rigids like the old daff i had was the turning circle, bit of a handfull if doing plenty of inner city deliveries with some embarrising moments, shunting round small islands.

paul b:
not a bad idea, strangely cranes fetch daft money compared to what you pay for the wagon with the crane fitted, only thing might be max lenght, not sure if the moffet when hooked up is classed as part of the wagon? would’ve thought it was so maybe you’d need to shorten the bed?

If I remember correctly (I’ll try and find a link when I have more time if nobody beats me to it :wink: ) that rear mounted loading equipment i.e moffat/crane is not counted in the overall length of a vehicle

You could presumably argue that as the moffett is demountable that it is part of the load and so isn’t part of the vehicle.

I’m sure I’ve seen skellys with 45’ containers on with a moffett on the back and surely if it counted as part of the vehicle then that would be overlength?

Paul

Can you operate a moffett on an ordinary F.L.T. licence then■■?

greendisco123:
The company i work for have been relocated to Doncaster (been taken over)

mfi?