Unit speeds

Hi all,is it just me but recently have units got alot faster,i mean for the last few weeks ive had the same unit which is limited bang on 90ks but noticed that trucks were coming past me some like i was still stood still, and no they wasnt on irish plates lol

my MAN is set to 89kph but after struggling to pass tesco trucks i checked the real speed with my gps…at 89kph its actually doing 53mph.
its an 08 plate and i guess it was calibrated when new with new tyres…over 200 k miles later the tyres are getting down and i think thats causing the difference…i could do with it being recalibrated with the worn tyres then when it gets new boots it will hit 60… :smiley:

Noticed alot of 09/59 flying by me, mine runs at 54mph actual speed, perhaps they are over calibrated now to account for wear of the tyres etc?

mine is an ex Hanbury Davies Actros, 53 plate. It does 94kp/h nnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww. He keeps saying he is chopping it in for a newer truck but I won’t let him hehe

Denser air makes engines run more efficiently.

firm i used to work 4 used to put ■■■■■■■■■■■■ drives on get it tonked up to 56/57, back the yard fit new skins, then boom 60 mph !!

leyland510:

Aye but denser air doesn’t change the ecu settings does it?

Steve-o:

leyland510:

It doesn’t need to. The more air you can get in the combustion chamber, the ECU will match the ratio and put more fuel in :wink:

Bet your drive tyres are about worn out, makes at least 2kph difference, some unscrupulous operators, would now go and get their tachos recalibrated. Not that I would do, or condone such a practise :blush:

Steve-o:

leyland510:

It doesn’t need to. The more air you can get in the combustion chamber, the ECU will match the ratio and put more fuel in :wink:

Depends on the unit itself i think. We have 2 08 plate MANS. i was in one, and the other came flying passed me, and i was on the limiter. Both are set to 89KMH

leyland510:

Steve-o:

leyland510:

Not when the ECU reads the road speed and eases off on the fuel when you hit the limiter.

my truck does 104 km/h :wink:

Steve-o:
Not when the ECU reads the road speed and eases off on the fuel when you hit the limiter.

If it did that, you wouldn’t get overrun :wink: The limiter controls the ECU, not the other way around.

beattun:
my truck does 104 km/h :wink:

And I bet you get yer doors blown off by the cowboys when you’re out in the sticks. :laughing:

leyland510:

Steve-o:

If it did that, you wouldn’t get overrun :wink: The limiter controls the ECU, not the other way around.

The ECU is the limiter on most modern tackle? so what steve-o said appears correct :laughing:

leyland510:

thats why mines very slow then, i have a crewcut :slight_smile:

leyland510:

But that would mean it would help the OP as well ?

leyland510:

Steve-o:

The denser air in cold weather makes them pull slightly better, but that has no effect at all on max road speed, when the ECU senses set speed is achieved, it backs of the fuel. No truck built with an ECU will even be fitted with a separate speed limiter.

As for overrun, I think you’ll find that’s called gravity!

acd1202:

leyland510:

Steve-o:

The denser air in cold weather makes them pull slightly better, but that has no effect at all on max road speed, when the ECU senses set speed is achieved, it backs of the fuel. No truck built with an ECU will even be fitted with a separate speed limiter.

As for overrun, I think you’ll find that’s called gravity!

So stop acting thick, leyland510