Unit height?

Company I work for has unit height as 15, 1 so when driving solo I have to go the long way and can’t go to some fuel stations

Took a picture of the plate were do I find the height?

Cheers

Unit unlikely to be 15 foot. Measuring it to be sure is the only way to be sure.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Exactly what I’m thinking … can’t be driving a double deck unit

Get tape measure out only way your find out for sure

simcor:
Unit won’t be 15 foot.

Careful about that one mate, I’ve seen some (DAFs in particular) units with ridiculously high fixed roof spoilers that I assume were specced for square fronted double deckers.

Unless it has a very tall roof spoiler fitted as mentioned above, it will be under 4 metres, the standard height of trailers used in mainland Europe and pretty much as tall as you can go in Benelux.

Plenty of units around over 4 metres our highest are 13’8" which is 4.17 metres 15ft seems a bit much though, would take half a shift to climb up there :smiley:

the maoster:

simcor:
Unit won’t be 15 foot.

Careful about that one mate, I’ve seen some (DAFs in particular) units with ridiculously high fixed roof spoilers that I assume were specced for square fronted double deckers.

Okay unlikely to be 15 foot 1 inch then, unless you’re pulling double deckers and have the roof fairing raised to its maximum. As said the only real way to be sure is measure it and know your solo height.

We are 13’ 9" solo in Renault’s and daf’s

Do what the brain dead do and take it under a 14’ bridge. :wink:

Also worth noting as I’ve noticed it’s a Scania, with the lift axle up they run a few inches taller than other makes.

We have a bunch of Scanias in the yard and you can always tell when a trailer has been dropped by a Scania as it will sit higher than most and if dropped too high with some units you can miss the pin completely.

Plenty of units have a wind kit 15 feet plus. If it’s labeled up as that in the cab then it probably is that. But as mentioned only way for you to know for certain is to measure yourself. A lot easier than you’d think. Measure from top of deflector to catwalk then catwalk to level ground. You can get the end of a tape measure up to the deflector either by standing on the susie frame or when hooked up you can stand on the Mavis rail casing if you have them fitted. Or if you park next to a car transporter in a truck stop and ask them nicely they’ll measure you.

simcor:
Also worth noting as I’ve noticed it’s a Scania, with the lift axle up they run a few inches taller than other makes.

We have a bunch of Scanias in the yard and you can always tell when a trailer has been dropped by a Scania as it will sit higher than most and if dropped too high with some units you can miss the pin completely.

Roof spoiler is pretty much over the front axle though - that end of the unit is unaffected by the midlift position.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

If its labelled in the cab as 15.1, then thats it. Why would it be labelled incorrectly? We pull 16.0 trailers yet our units are 13.1 solo so the type of trailer you pull has no bearing on unit height. Just go with the height displayed in the unit.

Or go park next to someone elses solo unit and look if yours is much bigger :slight_smile:

Ask your TM and be guided by what they have to say.
If the company says it’s 15{, it’s their fuel used to take the longer route and their time to do it. It’s been done , presumably, for a reason and asking will get you the answer.
If You don’t ask, and I was the Tm and found you taking lower height routes, then that would be a quick way to a disciplinary. It’s their vehicle, their rules (as long as it’s legal)

Theres a legal tolerance. If it says 15.1 I’d take it as written. Legally it can actually be 150mm lower than that but no higher.

Best thing to do is take it under something 15ft. That way the inconvenience you have to go through may not be an issue much longer :wink:

As mentioned, it all depends on the roof kit fitted. The unit itself won’t be very tall, my Renault Magnum was 3.8 metres or 12’ 6" in height. The unit may well not be 15’ 1" in height even with a roof kit but if that’s what the company say it is and if they’re happy for you to go the long way round then it’s best to just abide with that and let them pay for the extra fuel.

A Scania topline is 13 foot 1

Acorn:
Ask your TM and be guided by what they have to say.

Alternatively, ask your TM: “Where is the measuring stick? That nice DVSA officer I was speaking to today told me the company ought to have one readily available for me to use.” :laughing:

Seriously, don’t take any chances, bridge strikes these days are just about guaranteed to result in a PI or at the very least a preliminary hearing, plus a Driver Conduct Hearing