Unions

I am thinking of changing from Unite to URTU anyone got any positive input,thank you.

bobbya:
I am thinking of changing from Unite to URTU anyone got any positive input,thank you.

Must be someone, need to know by the morning.

I was in URTU 40 years ago, can’t say as it was any good, just a typical general haulage outfit of the day, pay good, long hours, the scabbiest lorries you could imagine…but that was a long time ago.

I’ve been in T&G and now its new incarnation Unite for most of my working life.
Without a doubt the best jobs i’ve had, and i’ve been lucky enough to be at the higher end for the past 28 years, have all been unionised, some good some better some not so good, all have had better conditions than the typical non unionised alternatives which i’ve been on for short periods between the good stuff.

Whatever union you choose isn’t that important IMHO, what is important is your union, the union is not the aloof big whigs with their management style salaries and luscious pensions, you and the men and women members that you work with, and the shop steward(s) you elect to do the best for you that they can, supported fully by you members are the backbone of the union, its what you can do for yourselves under the guidance of the union that matters.

Dunno if that helps, all i can say is that far as i know the best paid jobs out there in lorry land are usually union members, and Unite features highly.
Hopefully some URTU members with class leading terms will be along soon.

Juddian:
I was in URTU 40 years ago, can’t say as it was any good, just a typical general haulage outfit of the day, pay good, long hours, the scabbiest lorries you could imagine…but that was a long time ago.

I’ve been in T&G and now its new incarnation Unite for most of my working life.
Without a doubt the best jobs i’ve had, and i’ve been lucky enough to be at the higher end for the past 28 years, have all been unionised, some good some better some not so good, all have had better conditions than the typical non unionised alternatives which i’ve been on for short periods between the good stuff.

Whatever union you choose isn’t that important IMHO, what is important is your union, the union is not the aloof big whigs with their management style salaries and luscious pensions, you and the men and women members that you work with, and the shop steward(s) you elect to do the best for you that they can, supported fully by you members are the backbone of the union, its what you can do for yourselves under the guidance of the union that matters.

Dunno if that helps, all i can say is that far as i know the best paid jobs out there in lorry land are usually union members, and Unite features highly.
Hopefully some URTU members with class leading terms will be along soon.

Thanks for the input feel a bit let down with my union just now, hopefully it’ll pass.

The irony is strong…

Why are you thinking? Unions are not for those who wish to have a choice. Just pay your money and do as the minority tell you to do, it’s quite simple.
Oh, and for a little bit of balance, its an absolute myth that Union staff enjoy better pay and terms everywhere, it’s scaremongering from the desperate.The last place I worked at that had a mix of Union and non Union, the non staff were on a far better package due to the union reps being utter self serving scum. I guess you get what you pay for?
It was also noted that absolutely every where I have ever been in my working life no matter what the role or industry you can tell the union staff, they are the lazy, work dodging bully boys who will try to do the least possible to earn the most no matter what the cost to the company but then cry the most if there is chance that the comfy number might end due to there demands and actions. Bunch of spineless, brainless cowards…

Norfolkinclue1:
The irony is strong…

Why are you thinking? Unions are not for those who wish to have a choice. Just pay your money and do as the minority tell you to do, it’s quite simple.
Oh, and for a little bit of balance, its an absolute myth that Union staff enjoy better pay and terms everywhere, it’s scaremongering from the desperate.The last place I worked at that had a mix of Union and non Union, the non staff were on a far better package due to the union reps being utter self serving scum. I guess you get what you pay for?
It was also noted that absolutely every where I have ever been in my working life no matter what the role or industry you can tell the union staff, they are the lazy, work dodging bully boys who will try to do the least possible to earn the most no matter what the cost to the company but then cry the most if there is chance that the comfy number might end due to there demands and actions. Bunch of spineless, brainless cowards…

I blame the members - they elected the stewards!

I’ve been in places where the stewards had become management mouthpieces on cushy numbers, but the members had much the same ideological outlook. One thing is for sure though, I’ve never been in a unionised place that was worse than a non-unionised place doing the same thing!

If you want to see real lazy, workshy bully boys, who’ll do the least for the most, never mind the stewards, go and see the directors on your own and ask them for a pay rise (or ask them how much company funds they drained for their latest sports car!).