Union furious over truckers’ working hours

Typical unite bs they don’t usually live in reality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waynedl:

green456:

wildfire:

waynedl:

toowise:
POA counts the same as break for the WTD , so doing 32 hours a week POA does not mean you have broken the WTD.

Thats how I understand it anyway.

OP, I dont want to appear rude , but when someone writes something like you have on their first post, there is usually an underlying reason for it.
If this isnt the case please accept my humble apologies, but do you have an interest in this, i.e. youre a union rep, journalist, or some other official trying to gain information about working practices at various companies.

I know this may sound paranoid but its happened in the past and this is an open forum.

Not quite, POA doesn’t count as break, it just doesn’t count as work, there’s a difference, if you did 4hrs 15 mins of work and 2hrs POA then 2hrs of work, you’d be breaking the WTD, however, if you did 4hrs 15 mins work, 2hrs break, then 2hrs work, you wouldn’t

not quite vosa count the first 45 mins of a poa as break, well that was what i was told when i got pulled last year for a tacho check,by the vosa bod checking my cards :frowning: :frowning: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Only when double manning :bulb:

Tacho will reset driving time due to being stupid, but 45mins POA only counts as break if it’s in 2nd slot and you’re double manning as Green said

If VOSA told you that your 1st 45mins counted as a break, they either made a mistake and thought you’d had it in 2nd slot, he was an idiot or he just couldn’t be arsed, but either way it was incorrect info.

nope single manned and not on digi, and i wouldn’t want to tell him he was an idiot, just going on what i was told at the time :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

i can’t see why they have got involved.
HGV driving consists of long hours. we don’t want the WTD, we don’t want any restrictions.
drivers arn’t bullied into working long hours, it’s part of the job.
some drivers moan about the hours that they do. i can’t understand why they decided to do the job.
it’s like getting a job as a diver, then moaning about getting wet.

limeyphil:
i can’t see why they have got involved.
HGV driving consists of long hours. we don’t want the WTD, we don’t want any restrictions.
drivers arn’t bullied into working long hours, it’s part of the job.
some drivers moan about the hours that they do. i can’t understand why they decided to do the job.
it’s like getting a job as a diver, then moaning about getting wet.

^this^ sums it up nicely :wink:

Unite failed to get the tanker drivers on strike so they are trying a new tactic. If they think drivers will stick together they are plain stupid. I have yet to find a union that was any use, good at taking money, poor at doing anything for it.

it’s like getting a job as a diver, then moaning about getting wet

or like getting a job as a diver and being told to grow gills or webbed feet.

del949:

it’s like getting a job as a diver, then moaning about getting wet

or like getting a job as a diver and being told to grow gills or webbed feet.

Well that’s implying that you feel you’re asked to provide a service beyond your skill set. I can’t say that’s ever happened to me once in the 15 years I’ve been in transport

70-80 hours is too long simple you shouldnt need to work that many hours to earn a decent wage, yes haulage is normally long hours but things change, you used to see mostly roped and sheeted vehicles you dont see many now, times change sometimes for the better and if you can drive a truck for 45hour while earning a decent wage then that is an improvement to tired drivers. its easy to say oh i am on my bed during poa but for every 1 like that you will have 3 who are loading/unloading just so they can work that bit longer!

No. its like saying that you are expected to be prepared to give up your other life, you know, the one you have with your family.
I know many of you like to work 70-80 hours in order to boost your pay packets and I respect that, however there are many (I don’t know if more or less) who want a limit to the hours they are EXPECTED to work and they too have a right to be heard without being told “if you don’t like it, you’re in the wrong job”.
Maybe it is actually the other way around, perhaps it is those of you who prefer to work unrestricted hours who are in the wrong job, as HGV driving has always been subject to restricted hours.

as far as the unions doing a poor job etc, when they accepted it they were wrong, and then when the WTD was watered down to allow POA and they fought it they were wrong…seems they cannot win!

In the example given in the OP, the complaint appears to be that drivers at certain co’s are being forced (not simply asked or expected) to work excessive hours possibly contravening the law.
But, like everyone else on this forum I have no real info as to the circumstances and so cannot make a valid comment on that particular incident although I have no doubt there are those who will say… if they don’t like it etc etc

To my mind, the Law of Supply and Demand states that the more units of something there are, the less each of those units becomes worth, and this applies as much to a driver’s hourly pay as everything else.

I just don’t get this argument. I’ve never had a gun to my head to do anything I didn’t want to do. If you’re tired just say so. I put in the hours I do as it’s water of a ducks back. If the day came where I felt I was being forced to do something I wasn’t comfortable with, I’d just say no

del949:
No. its like saying that you are expected to be prepared to give up your other life, you know, the one you have with your family.
I know many of you like to work 70-80 hours in order to boost your pay packets and I respect that, however there are many (I don’t know if more or less) who want a limit to the hours they are EXPECTED to work and they too have a right to be heard without being told “if you don’t like it, you’re in the wrong job”.
Maybe it is actually the other way around, perhaps it is those of you who prefer to work unrestricted hours who are in the wrong job, as HGV driving has always been subject to restricted hours.

as far as the unions doing a poor job etc, when they accepted it they were wrong, and then when the WTD was watered down to allow POA and they fought it they were wrong…seems they cannot win!

In the example given in the OP, the complaint appears to be that drivers at certain co’s are being forced (not simply asked or expected) to work excessive hours possibly contravening the law.
But, like everyone else on this forum I have no real info as to the circumstances and so cannot make a valid comment on that particular incident although I have no doubt there are those who will say… if they don’t like it etc etc

If the unions were that interested in our welfare they would have done something years ago. They didn’t do much if anything. They have lost so many members over the years, dockers, miners, steel workers, due to their action and they now want to ruin this industry. Those that join this profession do it with their eyes open, the press gangs no longer exist, and must know what they are letting themselves in for.

OVLOV JAY:
I just don’t get this argument. I’ve never had a gun to my head to do anything I didn’t want to do. If you’re tired just say so. I put in the hours I do as it’s water of a ducks back. If the day came where I felt I was being forced to do something I wasn’t comfortable with, I’d just say no

That’s right, vote with your mouth and if that doesn’t work, your feet, always the best way, nobody forces you to do anything :exclamation:

You have to take the rough with the smooth, swings and roundabouts and all that, but if there is more rough than smooth, then it’s time to change things :bulb:

that arguement is ok if you believe you can get another job a lot of drivers especially in the current climate will be worried with bills family etc to say oh sorry i aint doing 80 hrs this week sorry, they will be shown the door pretty quickly as in haulage it is epxected that you do the hours, i have had so many arguements when ‘given’ a 15 hour day a a fair few companies and none have accepted that i dont want to work 15 hours they expect it!

if we all worked less rates of pay would have to go up its the same as people who include night out allowance at 25 per night do 4 nights out and say i earn 500 sorry you dont you earn 420 and are reimbursed for expenses for staying out.

no one should have to work 70 hours to earn decent money.

Those that join this profession do it with their eyes open, the press gangs no longer exist, and must know what they are letting themselves in for

what about those who joined this “profession” before the free for all on hours.
Those who signed up to be adriver when the most you were expected to do was only 1.5 times everyone else, i.e. 60 hours including all work related time.

I really don’t get most of you at all,
longer trailers…hooray
higher speed limits…hooray
higher axle weights…hooray
higher gross weights…hooray
higher wages…silence
more hours to make up for lower hourly rates…hooray

Why do some drivers bang on that if we do less hours the wage would “have” to go up■■? All you who don’t play the game seem to have a big fear that you won’t get another job. Well I do play the game and I’m not blowing my own trumpet, but I could have the pick of at least 3 jobs with former employers tomorrow, even if they didn’t have jobs going. And there are more than a few like minded drivers on here, who I know are in the same position. Maybe a look in the mirror maybe in order. Then get down the local aldi, that’s if you don’t object to putting the baked beans on the middle shelf

Why do some drivers bang on that if we do less hours the wage would “have” to go up■■?

I don’t think that I bang on that wages will go up if hours worked are cut…BUT…
as possible proof I offer the reverse argument.
Hourly rates (in real terms) have gone DOWN since hours worked went UP.
Maybe, just maybe, there is a connection eh?

war1974:
that arguement is ok if you believe you can get another job a lot of drivers especially in the current climate will be worried with bills family etc to say oh sorry i aint doing 80 hrs this week sorry, they will be shown the door pretty quickly as in haulage it is epxected that you do the hours, i have had so many arguements when ‘given’ a 15 hour day a a fair few companies and none have accepted that i dont want to work 15 hours they expect it!

if we all worked less rates of pay would have to go up its the same as people who include night out allowance at 25 per night do 4 nights out and say i earn 500 sorry you dont you earn 420 and are reimbursed for expenses for staying out.

no one should have to work 70 hours to earn decent money.

Sorry but your seriously deluded if the think wages would go up if we worked less hrs where does the extra money come from and please don’t say rates would rise believe me they wouldnt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As it was the Unions who agreed to the POA in the first place, it is another non story. Didn’t Graham bird of the URTU sign up to it? along with the FTA and RHA

Sorry but your seriously deluded if the think wages would go up if we worked less hrs where does the extra money come from and please don’t say rates would rise believe me they wouldnt

Using the oft quoted law of “supply and demand”, if drivers individually worked less hours, more drivers would be needed to do the same amount of work, that would soak up the pool of available drivers and lead to competition among employers to recruit drivers… so I guess that would lead to an increase in incentives on offer from the employer.
It’s a simple reversal of the obvious fact that bigger vehicles equals less drivers needed, equals lower wages
But you are correct in saying that it wouldn’t force a rise in hourly rates because some drivers would be bought by the boss simply offering extra bling on the truck,
“can’t afford a pay rise lads, but here’s two spotlights instead”