Unhappy Maggy

I have a magnum 500dxi (volvo engin) on 08 plate and about two weeks back it through up some faults.

Faults came within an hour of filling fuel and adblue at a shell station on a34.

1. adblue check light staying on.
  2. throttle pedal fault.
  3. performance loss.

Physical symptoms are a hesitation under load like fuel starvation.
Can run for a couple of hours i the morning without the faults but once the pop up they are there for the day.

Have been into Renault for all oils and filters plus diagnostic.
The diagnostic said change adblue dispencer, for throttle fault it said replace ecu! Even fitter was shocked at this as he was expecting some tests to work through first.

At the moment waiting for feed back from Renault tech but any input most welcome.

One of our volvos threw up a whole load of ad blue issues. It’s a new tank away from a complete new system. MC truck finally cured the problem. It was a boost sensor :open_mouth:

OVLOV JAY:
One of our volvos threw up a whole load of ad blue issues. It’s a new tank away from a complete new system. MC truck finally cured the problem. It was a boost sensor :open_mouth:

The change a bit at a time diagnostic plan can be hard on the pocket. :frowning:

with an ad blue fault ,after so many hours the engine will derate ,so it may be a case of once the ad blue is sorted all will be ok

bazstan009:
Faults came within an hour of filling fuel and adblue at a shell station on a34.

1. adblue check light staying on.
  2. throttle pedal fault.
  3. performance loss.

That just stinks of fuel contamination at the site you bought it from. Diesel problems can happen, AdBlue problems can happen, but both within an hour of filling up at the same place?

Had a similar problem on one our 660’s, the fitter and Volvo were talking at thousands of dollars for a fuel and add blue overhaul, quick thinking old timer stuck a bit of welding rod up the breather on the tank then gave it blow through with an airline. Hope it works for you…

Jeff…

“norb”
Been told this one don’t derate but think your right in that adblue is the root cause.

“Harry”
You could well be right.

“jelliot”
Will give that a go.

I have Been looking at a seemingly very tidy magnum on eBay.
It’s an 09 500 with low mileage and durabright type rims and all that, I’ve been tempted to give the guy a ring, but, my old euro 3 56 plate fh just keeps on keepin on and no adblue.
I don’t go anywhere near London, but I read in comercial motor that Birmingham council are starting to think about imposing there own lez.
If they do its off to Africa or somewhere for the not so old girl.

where did you fill up?

bazstan009:
“norb”
Been told this one don’t derate but think your right in that adblue is the root cause.

“Harry”
You could well be right.

“jelliot”
Will give that a go.

will admit im not a Renault guy ,but if running euro5 it will derate ,as it is unfortunately euro law…Early euro 4 dafs won’t derate as they never had NOX sensors ,but advent of Euro 5 stipulated NOX sensors and derate …pity the Renault lad has been on lately

shuttlespanker:
where did you fill up?

Shell, sutton scotney a34 northbound.

bazstan009:

shuttlespanker:
where did you fill up?

Shell, sutton scotney a34 northbound.

not where i was thinking then

i know of a place where quite a few trucks had severe problems after filling up, but, it wasn’t Sutton Scotney

You could try sending Steve (neversweat1) a PM, directing him to this thread, he’s been a Renault fitter for decades and he’s been enormously helpful to me with advice about my Magnum, he isn’t on here as much as he used to be but I’m sure he’d freely give up half an hour of his evening time to tell you what he thought the problem probably was.

One man I definitely owe a breakfast if I ever meet him! :smiley:

This morning all was good adblue light on and then off as it should, no other warnings.

In the traffic on the m25 pedal and performance faults return.

Wondering if it temprature related now, though temp guage and levels are fine, still waiting on renault!

My Maggy sometimes throws up a fault on the dashboard, and it will hang around for an indeterminate period and then go away. “Fuel supply fault” is one that pops up from time to time, and I had one on Tuesday telling me a wheel sensor wasn’t working but that too went away the next day. I get the “auto gearbox reduced function” warning every day for 30 minutes or so in the morning without ever noticing anything different about the gearbox function.

I think most Renaults are the same when they’ve got half a million k on the clock, unless there’s some noticeable difference in performance I’ve just learned to ignore dashboard fault warnings now.

if it aint broken don’t fix it. :unamused: