Unfortunate company names

My apologies if this offends anyone, but I found it quite amusing.

Saw this tank today on the edge of a truck parking area near s’Hertogenbosch (try pronouncing that place name). Not the best use of a company name I would say.

511A1936-8866-4E04-A044-85E591AA7D28.jpeg

I think a bit more thought should’ve gone into the name !!

^^^
Not good but…could have been a lot worse if reversed…

Hertz a Goshen bosch ■■ Am I close?

Steve-o:

No, he means reverse the company name (put the syllables in reverse order, not reverse the letters).

Always chuckle when I see a Skat wagon from Poland.

Wonder if they have any smaller vehicles? They’d be Skat vans.

Bee ba da ba da bup :laughing:

In all fairness, though, the word for Jew in Dutch is not Jew (it’s Jode).

Steve-o:

Nope, keep trying. Took me a few years to learn how to say it. Try pronouncing the seaside resort of Scheveningen.

My all time favourite has to be Flashing Services, a Nottingham roofing supply company. It is run by the Ball family.

The boss, a lovely genial bloke, was a customer of the Renault car dealership which I worked for in the early 1980’s. He once shocked my rather prudish boss in the parts department when ordering some bits for his car, by giving his name as “Ball, Flashing Services”.

One of the funniest I’ve seen in Europe is the Belgian company:

FOCKEDAY

fockedey.be/wp-content/uploads/ … nee-05.png

citycat:

Steve-o:

Nope, keep trying. Took me a few years to learn how to say it. Try pronouncing the seaside resort of Scheveningen.

That’s a Dutchman trick on Englishmen [emoji23]

Sertohenbosh is near enough to ask directions

Ready mix firm near me was jim il mix it but rebranded to mix it recently for obvious reasons.
There’s a German firm piter bender always makes me laugh but I’m childish

If I remember correctly it is universally pronounced den bos unless I’m thinking of somewhere else.

citycat:
My apologies if this offends anyone, but I found it quite amusing.

Saw this tank today on the edge of a truck parking area near s’Hertogenbosch (try pronouncing that place name). Not the best use of a company name I would say.

With a brand like that, they must attract millions! :laughing:

I’ll punt that it’s pronounced Sertoghenbosk - I’m betting that is a “dutch apostrophe”, and they pronounce the written “g” in a guttural, clear-your-throat way like “ch” in the Scottish pronunciation of “loch”.

I read a story once that the Nazis used to root out spies by giving them a complex sentence to read, and if they pronounced words like “bosch” as “bosk” instead of “bosh”, they’d be shot. :laughing:

Bosch is pronounced Boss not Bosh in Dutch.

Geoffo:

I was always under the impression that “CH” in Dutch, or Flemish come to think of it, was pronounced as a “K”
The town of Enschede comes to mind, pronounced enskedé

pierrot 14:

Geoffo:

I was always under the impression that “CH” in Dutch, or Flemish come to think of it, was pronounced as a “K”
The town of Enschede comes to mind, pronounced enskedé

I think you’ll find Pierrot it depends on the region, further south its pronounced as ‘sh’…
I may be wrong though, happy to be corrected… :wink:

I have always found the Dutch and Flemish language to be something that you hear in a StarTrek movie :laughing: You listen to 2 Dutch drivers having a convirsation it sounds like they have a really bad cold and are forever clearing their throats :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Languages are a really funny thing in that part of Europe, for example, in Germany Aachen on the northern border the ch is pronounced as K, (Aarken) but down the south Munchen the ch is pronounced as SH. Love the diversity :slight_smile:

The last few guesses were pretty correct, and the Dutch shorten it to Den Bosch.

I will give you a word though that appears on some of the company documentation that I carry in the truck, and it means ‘carrier liability insurance’. However, it’s written as one word :

Vervoerdersaansprakelijkheidsverzekering

When my wife says this word, it just rolls off her tongue. You can see though that after more than a year in the country, why I’m still having trouble getting a hang of this language.

Have a go with that one chaps :laughing:

citycat:
The last few guesses were pretty correct, and the Dutch shorten it to Den Bosch.

I will give you a word though that appears on some of the company documentation that I carry in the truck, and it means ‘carrier liability insurance’. However, it’s written as one word :

Vervoerdersaansprakelijkheidsverzekering

When my wife says this word, it just rolls off her tongue. You can see though that after more than a year in the country, why I’m still having trouble getting a hang of this language.

Have a go with that one chaps :laughing:

Pretty fluent in Spanish but not quite up to indigenous populations standard and an innocent comment can quite easily be conscrued as non complimentary. Swear words/ general abuse are different, with MrsG aiming plenty at me ive got them off to a tee… :stuck_out_tongue: