Unfair Parking Tickets/Invoices

Just received this weeks ‘Martins Money Saving email’ & it explains about unfair parking & charges-

We don’t bow to threats - DON’T PAY UNFAIR PRIVATE PARKING TICKETS
Private parking firms’ lawyers are trying to shut us up, to stop us helping you. So we’re shouting even louder
For 14mths a collective of parking firms - CP Plus, Debt Recovery Plus, Eurocarparks, Excel Parking, Parking Control, Parking Eye, PCN Parking, Ranger Service & Roxburghe - have had lawyers threatening us to try to make us soften, weaken & shush our guide, including stopping calling this COWBOY INDUSTRY a cowboy industry. We’ve refused, and today we’re outing them (see MSE News), and updating our Fight Unfair Private Parking Tickets guide with even more tips. In summary…

Private parking firms CAN’T fine you. Parking tickets from supermarkets, housing estates or other private car parks do better impressions than Rory Bremner. Some are dressed up like fines. They can even be called Parking Charge Notices to mimic council Penalty Charge Notices. Don’t be fooled. THEY’RE NOT FINES, JUST INVOICES.

If a ticket’s slapped on your windscreen that you think is unfair (eg, no signage, disproportionate charge), like any invoice, reply explaining why and that you won’t pay (sometimes you can appeal to a trade body, there’s a 45% success rate with the BPA). It may huff and puff about “hitting your credit record” or “sending bailiffs”, but for that it needs the time and expense of court action. If it does push to court, if the ticket’s unfair, the court will wipe it. Plus it must follow correct processes (many don’t).

Here’s a success story to inspire you: “I’ve just had a success against Parking Eye. My wife received a £100/£60 demand from them for an 18-min overstay in their free-for-two-hours car park” - TheBlade. Full help in Fight Unfair Private Parking Tickets. Our Parking Tickets Forum has many parking campaigners helping too.

PS. Private landowners DO have a right to charge for improper parking. If you get a fair ticket as you wrongly used a space, we say pay it - our guide’s about helping those whose ticket is unfair or unjust, not unfairly blocking spaces.
Unfair COUNCIL Penalty Charge Notice? You’ve a right to appeal. Of those appeals already turned down by the council, 50% win if they keep going to the final stage. See our full Fight Unfair Council Parking Tickets guide.

moneysavingexpert.com/reclai … _content=3

I have 2 invoices from Parking Eye .I have done nought about them and dont intend to.If I hear again I will tell them that I want my day in court and they will have to show how A.we had a contract
B how their signage is clear and
C how their charge is fair.

google pepipoo website helps you fight private parking fines speeding fines…they helped me and I didn’t have to pay a £60 parking fine

Ive currently got one from CP Plus. Been sending letters since May, now up to £120. They always give up in the end as they know they haven’t a legal leg to stand ob

The best way to deal with private parking appeals- I’ve had dozens- is to appeal to the private parking company on the grounds that the charge is not a reasonable pre-estimate of costs. They will reject this (they reject all appeals) but will send you a POPLA appeal code.

Go to POPLA’s website, enter the appeal code and again appeal on the grounds that the charge is not a reasonable pre-estimate of costs (The POPLA appeal will cost the parking company £27, it costs you nothing). POPLA will uphold the appeal.

I got one on Swan Valley, Northampton, stopped for 5 minutes sorting out my paperwork & this Chimp pulls up behind me, sneaks up to the drivers window (which was open) & hands me a ticket saying ‘There you go Drive’ not thinking, I took it & said “What’s that” Chimp replied “Parking Ticket” & took a step back. £250 ! £250 ! WTF !
Gave it to my TM & he appealed it, saying that I’d broken down (engine management light was on)
Never heard any more.
If the worst came to the worst, I was going to offer them £20max, that would have been more than enough to cover their costs & I’m sure a court wouldn’t have ordered me to pay any more, as £250 is extortion & as Alam stated I didn’t sign any contract, so why should I agree to it.

I got one for a 2 minute overstay. They wanted £90, I appealed it with the company amd tbey refused my appeal so I went to popla, and wrote my appeal attached the ticket amd won my case. Worth it although it does take time.

If you do feel like paying a reasonable amount to show that you are a reasonable sort of chap,send them a postal order for say£5.00do not send a cheque as that has your account number and sort code those things are saleable commodities to zb like them.

The advice used to be to ignore, that is no longer the case.

This is not a FINE it is a speculative invoice; only Police and Council Wardens can issue Parking Fines, which are completely separate thing and should be paid (unless you have genuine reason etc). Parking Charge Notices have no legal standing and are not enforceable.

If you get a Parking Charge Notice; don’t do anything with it until you receive the Notice to Keeper (NTK) as it costs the Parking Company £2.50 to get your details from DVLA. Note - if you’re in a Company truck, it will go to your HQ, who will most likely just name you as the driver, and give them your details. There are rules about when they can contact DVLA for info, and when they can issue NTK etc - so keep an eye on the dates.

When you get the NTK, send in an Appeal within the two weeks deadline - state that you will not be paying, no contract has been entered into, and state the Penalty Charge is not a GPEol (Genuine Pre-Estimate of Loss). If you receive the NTK as the owner do not state you are the driver. Always send the first appeal under Recorded Delivery as they will deny receiving your appeal.

The Parking Company will most likely refuse your appeal, in which case they must, under BPA CoP (British Parking Association Code of Practice) refer you to POPLA - the official appeal service - this will cost them £28. They have to give you a POPLA Appeal Reference number.

Then Appeal to POPLA on exactly the same basis. Chances are you will win at POPLA, if POPLA refuse then the cases goes back to the issuer, and they can harass you for as many years as they like, DO NOT PAY…!! You will get various letters from a string of Debt Collectors threatening to ruin you, sell you first born or take your virginal daughter as payment etc, DO NOT PAY…!! Never phone or email these people, never offer them any reduced payment. Only contact them in writing. Be firm in your responses, not polite & nice, if they know you mean business, they will more than likely back down, if they think you’re soft tough they will keep pressing. Do not back down, do not believe their threats and extortion.

You can also complain to BPA that you are being harassed and fraudulently chased for monies you do not owe, and demand they investigate the Parking Company and the Debt Collectors. (The Debt Collectors are usually members of BPA as well)

If you ignore, you will increase your chances of court papers being received, as they will think you won’t turn up and they will get a win by default.

A good advice forum - consumeractiongroup.co.uk/fo … nforcement

Herongate:
The advice used to be to ignore, that is no longer the case.

This is not a FINE it is a speculative invoice; only Police and Council Wardens can issue Parking Fines, which are completely separate thing and should be paid (unless you have genuine reason etc). Parking Charge Notices are have no legal standing and are not enforceable.

If you get a Parking Charge Notice; don’t do anything with it until you receive the Notice to Keeper (NTK) as it costs the Parking Company £2.50 to get your details from DVLA. Note - if you’re in a Company truck, it will go to your HQ, who will most likely just name you as the driver, and give them your details. There are rules about when they can contact DVLA for info, and when they can issue NTK etc - so keep an eye on the dates.

When you get the NTK, send in an Appeal within the two weeks deadline - state that you will not be paying, no contract has been entered into, and state the Penalty Charge is not a GPEol (Genuine Pre-Estimate of Loss). If you receive the NTK as the owner do not state you are the driver. Always send the first appeal under Recorded Delivery as they will deny receiving your appeal.

The Parking Company will most likely refuse your appeal, in which case they must, under BPA CoP (British Parking Association Code of Practice) refer you to POPLA - the official appeal service - this will cost them £28. They have to give you a POPLA Appeal Reference number.

Then Appeal to POPLA on exactly the same basis. Chances are you will win at POPLA, if POPLA refuse then the cases goes back to the issuer, and they can harass you for as many years as they like, DO NOT PAY…!! You will get various letters from a string of Debt Collectors threatening to ruin you, sell you first born or take your virginal daughter as payment etc, DO NOT PAY…!! Never phone or email these people, never offer them any reduced payment. Only contact them in writing. Be firm in your responses, not polite & nice, if they know you mean business, they will more than likely back down, if they think you’re soft tough they will keep pressing. Do not back down, do not believe their threats and extortion.

You can also complain to BPA that you are being harassed and fraudulently chased for monies you do not owe, and demand they investigate the Parking Company and the Debt Collectors. (The Debt Collectors are usually members of BPA as well)

If you ignore, you will increase your chances or court papers being received, as they will think you won’t turn up and they will get a win by default.

A good advice forum - consumeractiongroup.co.uk/fo … nforcement