Undertaking?

Is it time we legalised it in this country?.

We all get sick of Mr Tweed hat in the middle lane doing 60 in his car and of course we are in our cars too to be able to overtake him, But even sometimes in a truck you need to undertake to pass some idiots that shouldnt be on the road.

A truck should NEVER have to pass a car thats going slower should it?.

Undertaking would take advantage of all 3 lanes far better than using the hard shoulder wouldnt it?.

3 times this week Ive nearly clean up some idiot in a car whos undertook/overtook me. twice Ive been turning right at a roundabout, and theyve gone around the outside of me, one of which I had to swerve to avoid em as I only noticed at the last moment they where in my N/S blindspot of the cab as I exited the roundabout to lane 1 Ive also had 1 idiot overtake me on the chevrons as I exited the roundabout, only to find themselves nowhere to go or pull in front, as a truck was coming in the opposite direction, as the gap they thought was in front of me was occupied by a motorcycle

I have got to admit that if some idiot is sitting in the middle lane at a speed slower than me I would flash and then go past if he/she didn’t move over. It is just avoiding a hazard after all - just this hazard happens to be a ■■■■■

Always makes me laugh in slow traffic that lanes 2 & 3 get jammed, but I normally have half a mile of clear space in lane 1…

G

No, but it is time we clamped down more on people who sit in the middle of the road at 50, when the nearside lane is clear.

jammymutt:

Strictly speaking, although it is frowned upon and considered as poor etiquette, it is not, and never has been ‘illegal’ as a specific offence.

If you look at the Highway Code:-

242: Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

Note that there is no mention of vehicles travelling ‘slowly’, only the vague term of ‘congested conditions’ and I would argue that if there are a sufficient number of vehicles using the road that all of the lanes are in use then, whilst the road may not be ‘congested’ in the normal sense of the word, it still qualifies as ‘congested conditions’, :wink:

Gazzareth:
I have got to admit that if some idiot is sitting in the middle lane at a speed slower than me I would flash and then go past if he/she didn’t move over. It is just avoiding a hazard after all - just this hazard happens to be a [zb].

Always makes me laugh in slow traffic that lanes 2 & 3 get jammed, but I normally have half a mile of clear space in lane 1…

G

You wanna watch yourself G. I did exactly that earlier this year with a camper van on the 3 lane bit of the A1 and he refused to move over from lane 2 to lane 1 and carried on doing 40mph in lane 2. I flashed, tooted, the lot, but nope, wouldn’t move, so I went up the inside of him. I got three quarters of the way past, watching him closely in the offside mirror (I was driving a left ■■■■■■) and with just a couple of feet to go he pulls straight into the side of me. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: . I couldn’t believe it. Never felt a thing, but I knew there’d been contact because it had caught one of the ratchet straps and pulled it off so it was hanging down the side. To be honest I wasn’t going to stop and pretend I hadn’t noticed as it was his own fault if he can’t see 50ft of [zb] wagon, but I pulled into the big layby near Bramham and resecured my ratchet strap and was just about to leave when the [zb] camper van bowls into the layby. :unamused: It was a right old giffer driving it - must have been 80 at least, jam-jar bottom glasses, walking sticks, the works. :unamused:

:angry:

Ive heard of someone undertaking on a roundabout in Grimsby and the cops prosecuting him for it :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I undertake

What is the point of sitting in the inside lane and slowing down because someone on one of the outer lanes insists of travelling slow and refuses to use the left hand lane.

Ive come across people in my car doing 60 on the ouside lane on the A46, now that is there choice but the limit is 70 so either move into the inside lane or ill undertake.

The top island at Gildersome (M62 J27) is terrible for people undertaking you. You’d be in the right hand lane to take the 4th exit down the M621 and you’d get someone come off the M62 eastbound to head into Birstall (5th exit) round the inside of you. :open_mouth: Had several near misses on there and you need to watch your n/s mirror like a hawk.

Another one is the Elland Rd island off the M621 as you come from Stourton or the M1 and are heading down Ingram Rd to the Armley Gyratory/Leeds centre. If you use the offside lane you get them all going round the inside of you and if you use the nearside lane you get them cutting across the front of you from Armley trying to get on the M621 towards B&Q. You can’t win. :frowning:

Krankee:
[
Note that there is no mention of vehicles travelling ‘slowly’, only the vague term of ‘congested conditions’ and I would argue that if there are a sufficient number of vehicles using the road that all of the lanes are in use then, whilst the road may not be ‘congested’ in the normal sense of the word, it still qualifies as ‘congested conditions’, :wink:

The vagueness only makes it worse Ken, because it is then up to the opinion of the police officer who books you, and whether the magistrate agrees with him or not.
However, there is no doubt that a lone obstructor in the middle lane, with no-one in front holding him up, and no-one to the left preventing him moving to the ‘slow’ lane, does not constitute ‘congested conditions’ and as such it would be illegal to undertake.

it is time we clamped down more on people who sit in the middle of the road at 50, when the nearside lane is clear

I’m with Dennis on this one - it should be enforced to move into the left lane if it is viable, ie you won’t have to move back out again almost straight away. Although if you give some drivers the leeway to use their initiative that’s asking for trouble!

I think it would be too dangerous to allow undertaking as you’d get some pillock undertaking you while you’re in the middle lane overtaking, then swinging in front of you at the last minute!

the M25 seems to be the worst for idiots who sit in the middle of the road. :confused:

Undertaking, example come up behind a vehicle in lane two, move to lane 1, pass then move back to lane two, that undertaking and illegal. If you pass on the inside using lane one because traffic in lanes two, three are moving slower then ok as long as you stay in lane one.

we should be able to go in any lane and undertaking should be allowed the traffic would flow a lot more freely and let us turn left when the lights are on red

while we’re at it, why not do away with the central reservation, so we can use the other carriageway too. :laughing:

while we’re at it, why not do away with the central reservation, so we can use the other carriageway too

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dennisw1:
while we’re at it, why not do away with the central reservation, so we can use the other carriageway too. :laughing:

Funny that you say that because I have long speculated with the view that we have built our Motorways ‘arse about face’. We have the fastest moving vehicles in one direction only feet from the fastest moving vehicles in the opposite direction. :unamused: It’s not a feasible consideration with our present network but, what if it had been designed that everyone joined from the centre? The hardshoulder on one carriageway (separated by a barrier) would be adjacent to the hardshoulder for the opposite carriageway. Higher speed vehicles, going out of control, instead of breaching the barrier, would career off into fields, or embankments, whether up or down. :slight_smile: We’d still be driving on the left. Albeit that the opposing traffic would be even more ‘left’ of us.

I remember. some years ago, speaking to a driver who was in Lane 3 when an artic ‘bulker’ crossed the barrier and his car went under it whilst it was ‘airborne’. I didn’t believe it at the time but, on speaking to other witnesses, they said the same.

In a car, given the choice of using a contra-flow lane through roadworks, or remaining on the existing carriageay, I will invariably opt for the latter. It may take a few minutes longer, but is definately safer.

Ken, whatever you’re drinking, is there any left for me?

dennisw1:

Brilliant :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: