Understanding ULEV and bus lanes

Long time, no post! Was trucking up to 2012ish, and then changed career path entirely. But thought I’d head back here to sound out the ladies and gents of TrucknetUK as to their knowledge in some particular areas.

Do you know what a ULEV is? If you aren’t sure, think to London’s ULEZ and you may get there.

Where bus lanes exist, what are your attitudes towards them, and their occupants? Where the signage has more than a simple picture of a bus, bicycle, and motorbike, do you find your understanding of the lane and how it operates is spot on, or do you just stay clear just-in-case?

Have you heard of, seen, encountered, or even used the “ULEV” lane in Nottingham? (A612, Colwick to Lady Bay).

If you spot someone using a bus lane who you don’t think should be in it, what do you do? Do you:
Ignore them?
Stay alert to their presence but carry on as normal?
Do you have a honk?
Or do you even take driver action like dipping wheels over the line to “encourage” them to stay back?
Would you even shift over more completely where the lane breaks to intentionally block them, almost like a trucker-police vigilante?
If you spotted a bus lane with an unusual symbol in it, would this give you pause to reconsider any action you would normally take?
What are your feelings on other professional haulage industry drivers taking actions like those described?

What is your understanding of how bus lanes operate, and whether its lawful occupants can pass on the left side or not?
What is your understanding of priorities, when it comes to re-merging back to the left when a lane ends, or turning left into a side road when a vehicle is using the bus lane already?

With regards to the ULEV meaning, and the existence of a ULEV lane, if you’re unaware of this area of vehicles and road, what are the means you stay up to date with current road-based acronyms, vehicle categories, etc? Social media, industry pages, government public information feeds? What role do you see the industry media and their various methods of contact having in disseminating such information?

I’d be interested to see how up to date people are on the newer types of vehicles, and to learn about knowledge of and attitude toward bus lanes.

Thanks!

Might be wrong, but the way this us worded you might be flying close to wind on rule 5. Sounds very edu or newspaper type research.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=42755

Never heard of a ULEV personally.

I saw on the one show last week about a road being referred to as a bus gate. It appears that only buses can use this road and every body else is being fined. The cameras are raking in thousands of ££ every day. The council are happy but when asked why not put up signs saying buses only they would not do that.

trevHCS:
Might be wrong, but the way this us worded you might be flying close to wind on rule 5. Sounds very edu or newspaper type research.

I hear what you’re saying, Trev.

The enquiries come as I’m a frequent user of just such a lane, and there have been issues of late with some drivers taking exception to seeing vehicles other than buses in it, and sadly the worst of the behaviour is often coming from commercial drivers (seeking to endanger other road users they perceive to be doing what they don’t necessarily understand). So what I’m trying to get a feel for is what the state of things are among the professional drivers, insofar as understanding and attitudes. This is, in part, to inform my own arguments being put to local and national road planners.

As it stands, the Bus/ULEV lane on the A612 has a small green circle with some letters in it on each of the bus lane repeaters, and the entry points to the bus/ulev lane have an additional sign that is a stylised picture of a “generic electric car” (coughLEAFcough) entering a bus lane. These are sited on roundabout exits, or shortly after lane-merge points and safety cameras, so they’re not really in the best location - and aren’t really that informative either.
So I’m looking to see what solutions could be dreamed up to keep users safer, and to encourage a better understanding from other road users, especially those who appear to take the most umbrage at its use. For example, painted words on the road surface alongside each lane information repeater (bus in white, ULEV in green). A clearer sign on entry, midway, and exit stating what the flip a ULEV is. Better use of government social media feeds to remind people of the correct behaviour around bus lanes, and in general for what to do (or not do) when seeing someone doing something you don’t believe to be correct (i.e. ignore it and get on with life rather than try to force a collision or emergency stop). Better interaction between same government bodies and the road haulage press, and major social media outlets for driver information (such as this esteemed site).

At the moment, it may just seem like me and a handful of bleaters having a moan at them during what is - at the moment at least - a single trial road to get proof of concept. As a means of seeking better execution of the trial elsewhere, it’ll be great to have more than a few dashcam clips of problematic relations between lane occupants and their road neighbours, and have thoughts from those very neighbours (be they friendly or hostile, or something in between).

Hope that helps to clear up where I’m coming from on this!

(fwiw, the ULEV lane is a part of Britain’s first so-called “Eco Highway”, being trialled to encourage take-up of EVs and ultra low emissions vehicles, such as the cleaner end of the hybrids market. The notion is that people will see other folks sailing past the traffic queue, and want a piece of the action. But the level of education being put out by the authorities is woeful).

trevHCS:

ULEV= Ultra Low Emission Vehicle

The thing I hate about bus lanes is people who dont use them outside there allocated times.there approach one they can legally drive down then panic stop and pull over.
Have seen a few that allow hgvs to use them.
Possibly Bradford and one cambridge maybe?
Can’t rember off the top of my head now.
Which I think.is a good idea.

The A2 at Chatham has a HGV accessible bus lane going up the hill towards the hospital so you can lumber up it and not hold anyone up. Until you get to the top and everyone gets stopped by the traffic lights to let you pass :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The A23 has a short section not far off the top of the M23. Quite a good queue beater

Secind that on bus lanes not being used outside of restricted times. It’s amazing how many people don’t. Still I’ll not say too much as it keeps it clearer for me!

I think it’s a case of people seeing the sign but not digesting all of the sign of you get me, they just see the bus lane part but not the time on the bottom of it.