Underfloor Engines

Ah, I didnt know anything about the link with ■■■■■■■ Boden, that would go to explain somewhat. I didnt know that ■■■■■■■ did any 2 stroke vee angines either, I remember they did one that got put in the D1000 fords, but thought it was a 4 stroke. Either way, I believe it was a dog of a motor with heat problems. I bloke I used to drink with called jack Matthews had one in a 4 wheel tipper, he said itr went well, but was unreliable, or words to that effect! :slight_smile:

The TM’s I do remember them, I thought they sounded great! They used to run the A5 and I can only imagine they were going to Ellesmere Port. Cabcraft ran a few as well, and sadly they were not rated very well by the blokes I knew there either. The fitters down there called them the “finger choppers”, but ive forgot why. I think Detroit still make some of the vee strokers for bus and marine application, thought their straight six is a 4 stroke and I believe, pretty good, better on fuel of course.

Im going to have to look at that Krupp design, sounds interesting, and it’s new to me, thanks for the info!

I dont know if we’ve got Kes, I am sad enough however, to try and get a copy so as to listen to that Foden! :laughing:

I’m with Jammy… a tad confused.

WHERE is the engine on any modern (last 10 yrs?) flat floored cab over unit?

…and how did it get its (American) name, cab over?

Regards, Jonathan.

The driving position of coaches can be so low because the engine is many metres behind the driver.
Used to be under the passenger area floor, just ahead of the drive axle, but now mostly under the back seat, down the ares end.

Driveroneuk:
I’m with Jammy… a tad confused.

WHERE is the engine on any modern (last 10 yrs?) flat floored cab over unit?

…and how did it get its (American) name, cab over?

Regards, Jonathan.

By underfloor it normally means beneath the floor of the body, or at least below the top of the chassis rails. While you’re right in saying that some trucks (Actros Megaspace, Magnum) have motors under their flat floors the cylinder heads and part of the block are still well above the top of the chassis.

As for ‘cab over’, it comes from the relationship between the cab and the front axle. In the states they use the terms ‘conventional’ (cab behind the front axle) and ‘cab over’ (cab over the front axle). Thankfully in UK/Europe we haven’t taken on that Americanism yet - I think most people still refer to our trucks as ‘forward control’.

( Of course if we really want to resist the American infiltration of our language we ought to be calling them ‘lorries’. Think of the effect of that: we’d have lorrynet, Lorry & Driver Magazine, etc, etc ) :smiley:

Mal - the Atkinson belongs to John Douglas and has a horizontal Gardner engine - here’s a picture of it.

The type of engine installed in the Stamper 4x2 is depicted in these pictures:

John also owns the Pollock Mk 1 8x2 “Two Capitals” - here’s a picture of that one as well…

At around 08.15 hrs this morning Mal posted some extremely terse comments in reply to my posting above within this thread.
At 19.30 hrs this evening it has been removed, however, I had already prepared my reply, but had delayed posting it until this evening, in order that, should he decide to remove my reply, more people would hopefully see it before he did so.
Here is that reply:

Mal, as a long standing member with 160 posts on this new forum & probably as many on the old, I have never been spoken to in such & cut n’ thrusting manner.
I have always attempted, & hopefully mostly succeeded in giving interesting, discussion enhancing input.
I have also, in the past ,on many occasions attempted to pass on my knowledge & experience to newbies, many of whom have been grateful.

If you must berate my contributions publicly as moderator, please at least spell my name correctly.

Jonathan.
(feeling told off like a little boy, withdrawn, & unlikely to provide much input in the future)

Ex. Trade Plater. Ex. LGV C+E Instructor. DSA ADI (Grade 5) Ex. O/D. RoSPA Gold. 5 Different Driving Tests passed 1st time.

No worries, Im not going to remove your post I aint spitefull, and anyway Im not entitled I dont think! :smiley: I will say this though, I agree being spoken to as if you are a child is galling, thats what I felt like too Jonathan, maybe we both need to learn to think a bit then eh? oh, and we both seem to need a spelling course an’all M8! :wink:

Cheers Marky! Great pics and info! :smiley:

acknowledged Mal. ( & typo corrected :blush: )

Was parked at “The Hollies” on Sat. night last…if i’d realised I was so close, we could have convened in the local hostelry & sorted it out man to man. :laughing: :laughing:

Driveroneuk:
acknowledged Mal. ( & typo corrected :blush: )

Was parked at “The Hollies” on Sat. night last…if i’d realised I was so close, we could have convened in the local hostelry & sorted it out man to man. :laughing: :laughing:

Fair play to you Jon, I used to go in for a bit of physical round the hostelries meself a few years back! but right now I couldnt really be up for it, well at least not before I get me bypass done! :wink: :laughing:

Is this the kind of thing you guys are on about?.

It certainly looks like it to me or has the cab just been slung forward?

Its certainly low JM, but theres no way of telling if they achieved the low height by slinging the cab forards a bit like you say, or setting the motor horizontal! Interesting, it’d be one hi-spec bin truck!

Like Mal said that Scania is a municipal chassis, most likely a bin lorry, so the motor is still in the same place, only the cab has been moved forward to create a low entry (look at the steps, much wider than normal)

I was speaking to a guy about underfloor layouts while I was in Germany this week. He told me that one of the megacube operators used to have a load of Bussing-MAN drawbars with the underfloor motors. We think it was Westermann, but anyone remember for sure?

The local bus company bought about a dozen articulated MAN busses back in the 1980s that had under-floor motors in the lead unit. I’m not sure if they were air or water cooled, but they were pretty loud, harsh, and had little power.

Klein Wieler from Bocholt used to have Bussing drawbar outfits running into their Morley depot in the 70s,one had a nice wooden cab interior and was quiet as a mouse the driver told me.cheers Joe.

Quinny:

I often wonder the same thing about fridges

I’ve seen a few with the engine mounted under the chassis but not many.

Probably the biggest company with this set up on trailers is Morrisons.All their fridge trailers have the motor mounted behind the side rails,but I can’t remember which side.

Ken.

The driver side. I wondered what that green light was under their trailers.