Undercover boss; stena line channel 4 now

as above, undercover boss on now can also watch online later

Watching pretty shizer like paying for a building site

err yeah, £300 quid for a building site… but a least they are getting on with it… :unamused:

On his tour of one ferry, the two eating areas were described as one for freight drivers and the other for paying passengers,don*t we all pay ?

What boat is he on ?

Stena Mersey, Stena Britannica & Stena Nordica

I thought he seemed like a decent enough bloke, dunno if it’ll work or not but the program was good.

Stena = tight bastids ! Paying the Filipino cleaners £3 and hour,they work 6 months solid,without having a day off.Are they allowed by law to do that :question:
Pretty good programme and tbf the boss seemed a good sort.

James Bateman2:
Stena = tight bastids ! Paying the Filipino cleaners £3 and hour,they work 6 months solid,without having a day off.Are they allowed by law to do that :question:

i would expect it’ll have something to do with where the vessel or company is registered, just like haulage companies.
there are drivers working in the uk for east european, central european, and turkish operators that don’t get anywhere near the uk national minimum wage.
they manipulate the law, legal “yes”. morally right “no”.

limeyphil:

James Bateman2:

i would expect it’ll have something to do with where the vessel or company is registered, just like haulage companies.
there are drivers working in the uk for east european, central european, and turkish operators that don’t get anywhere near the uk national minimum wage.

P&O employ Filipino crew, there is some agreement that they are paid that whilst living on the ship FOC and the rest is sent home by the company I believe.

P&O, the largest ferry operator, now routinely employs low cost foreign national seafarers. The majority of P&O Irish Sea Ferries and P&O North Sea Ferries ships no longer apply UK agreements. From the above compliment of ships two of the P&O North Sea Ferries vessels are UK registered while six P&O Irish Sea vessels are registered in Bermuda, a UK dependent territory.

P&O North Sea Ferries vessels, the Pride of York and the Pride of Hull, employ Filipino motormen. The UK Motormen are paid £20,706 and work equal time on and off. The Filipino seafarers are paid $576 a month, with an additional payment for guaranteed overtime of 90 hours paid at $2.55 per hour. Overtime in excess of these hours is paid at $3.78 per hour. Without any overtime in excess of the above hours the pay is $805.50 per month. However we also believe that they receive $19 holiday pay on certain days, although we are not sure as to how many days this payment is received.

Whilst UK motormen work equal time on and off the vessel the Filipino seafarers work a roster of four months on, one month off. UK seafarers are paid during leave whilst Filipino seafarers working for P&O North Sea Ferries have no paid leave. At current exchange rates their pay is less than a third of that earned by their British counterparts and falls significantly below the UK minimum wage.

In addition the catering crew on these vessels are sourced from Portugal. There are around 80 Portuguese seafarers on lower rates of pay who work three months on, one month off, with no provision for pay during leave. Taking into account the leave it is estimated that catering crew salaries for Portuguese nationals on these vessels are approximately £12,000, roughly two thirds of the salary of UK seafarers for these positions.

limeyphil:

James Bateman2:

Ah right,cheers for that pal.

Wheel Nut:

limeyphil:

James Bateman2:

P&O employ Filipino crew, there is some agreement that they are paid that whilst living on the ship FOC and the rest is sent home by the company I believe.

P&O, the largest ferry operator, now routinely employs low cost foreign national seafarers. The majority of P&O Irish Sea Ferries and P&O North Sea Ferries ships no longer apply UK agreements. From the above compliment of ships two of the P&O North Sea Ferries vessels are UK registered while six P&O Irish Sea vessels are registered in Bermuda, a UK dependent territory.

P&O North Sea Ferries vessels, the Pride of York and the Pride of Hull, employ Filipino motormen. The UK Motormen are paid £20,706 and work equal time on and off. The Filipino seafarers are paid $576 a month, with an additional payment for guaranteed overtime of 90 hours paid at $2.55 per hour. Overtime in excess of these hours is paid at $3.78 per hour. Without any overtime in excess of the above hours the pay is $805.50 per month. However we also believe that they receive $19 holiday pay on certain days, although we are not sure as to how many days this payment is received.

Whilst UK motormen work equal time on and off the vessel the Filipino seafarers work a roster of four months on, one month off. UK seafarers are paid during leave whilst Filipino seafarers working for P&O North Sea Ferries have no paid leave. At current exchange rates their pay is less than a third of that earned by their British counterparts and falls significantly below the UK minimum wage.

In addition the catering crew on these vessels are sourced from Portugal. There are around 80 Portuguese seafarers on lower rates of pay who work three months on, one month off, with no provision for pay during leave. Taking into account the leave it is estimated that catering crew salaries for Portuguese nationals on these vessels are approximately £12,000, roughly two thirds of the salary of UK seafarers for these positions.

I dont know for sure but i believe i may be quite comfortable living in the phillipines on a salary 2/3 of a uk based worker.

S80RTE:

Wheel Nut:

limeyphil:

James Bateman2:

I dont know for sure but i believe i may be quite comfortable living in the phillipines on a salary 2/3 of a uk based worker.

i would agree s80rte the phillipine workers have no expence while on board, everything is found food ect so to get 2/3 of uk worker i would of thought is very good compared to what they could earn in their own country,

Someone hasn’t read it properly, it says the Flip Flops get $805 per month. 6 month contracts

The Porkies get £12000 per annum

Those figures were snatched from the RMT union who act for the sailors

Watched the show, very interesting. Brought back the memories of the ferry crossings and the fry ups on the boats.