Under 25+???

I’m about to self fund my HGV licences, but I’m 22. While looking through job adverts i keep seeing “must be 25+ for insurance purposes”.
Will my age be a big disadvantage? I’m looking to do agency work.
I’ve tried to search the forum for info on this forum but didnt find anything.
All replies will be appreciated.
Capt. M

Welcome to TrucknetUK, Capt Manuver.

I’me afraid that, in my experience, the answer to your question is ‘Yes, your age will almost certainly be a problem’. If I was in your position, I would find an employer willing to take me on, before putting myself through my tests. That would be especially so, if I needed to be employed, as a truckdriver, to pay back the money I have paid out on my licences.

Agency work is plentiful at this time of year, but starts to tail off at around March/April. The longer term employees generally get the first option on what jobs are going. That may leave you high and dry, with a fairly large debt still outstanding and no income too speak of. Check out this thread and the website Here .

I am putting forward a worst case scenario. It is possible,that you will find a job with no problem and everything will come out just right. However I wouldn’t count on it.
If you go for it anyway, and I’me not saying ‘don’t do it’, try the bigger agencies like Manpower and Driver Hire rather than a small local one. These are UK wide agencies and have been around for a long time (ie not fly by night) and they are the type of agency that the “Blue Chip” companies go to for their agency drivers. As these Blue Chip companies are UK wide also, that means they can get drivers for any of their sites on a national account, with centralised billing etc. Also, because they are so big, they employ hundreds of drivers, so have a greater need for agency drivers too cover sickies, holidays, sudden demand etc.

Sorry that I’me not offering much hope on the driving front. Don’t let me put you right off the idea, but do ensure that you don’t spend a lot of money for no return. Let us know what you decide and keep in touch, even if you decide to leave it till later.

All the best

Ahoy Capt.,my advice is slightly different,I see from your profile you are a warehouse worker.If you have not worked as a driver before I’d suggest you give it a try first on something smaller before you splash the cash.You will still come up against the age thing but not every company will turn you down.If you have driven before and know it’s what you want to do,I would look around for companies willing to train you up.The majority will reject you on age grounds but not all so it’s worth a try,good luck :wink:

The driver shortage is very acute in your part of the country and I personally think that you be able to find work.

Many will not take on under-25s but just as many will. You will simply have to make more phone calls than an over-25.

Although he isn`t currently looking for anybody, my own boss, Richard, has told me before that he would take on an under 25 if he was keen and enthusiastic, and would consider that to be worth paying the increased insurance premium for. I think this is because he started as a driver at 21.

In my experience, the ones who wouldn`t pay the small amount required are not normally the best to work for anyway.

If you are determined enough then you will find work so go for that test and keep us posted.

All the best,

Vince

Hi capt.
I passed my class 2 last year when I was 22 and found that the agency I worked for were able to provide me enough work to keep me going, given that there are companies out there who wont touch an under 25 driver with a very large pole with you know what on the end :smiley:
I then passed my class 1 later that year and since then I have been working non stop and always have work from my agcy, as before, there is a shortage of drivers up here and most compnies aren’t in a position to be choosy. I work mainly for Kingsmill who at first told my agcy that they could not use me due to my age, low and behold one bleak night they were really desperate so they used me. I like to think I’m a hard worker and must have made an impression as I now work for them all the time (with the exception of some different shifts) they now even trust me with the new 53 DAF’s and the Double Decker trailers :smiley: . Oh and before I forget, I paid for it all myself, absolutley everything class 2 and 1 including all medicals and tests… moral of the story is dont always think the 25+ thing is as bad as it seems, if you have the right attitude your age dont mean squat… good luck man!!

THe under 25 thing is certainly not a problem. I was 21 when I passed my class 1 and moved to Nottingham just after. I registered with an agency and was working that evening. I left at the start of the year cos I wanted to do more tramping work something I couldn’t really get on the agency. I’m now 23 drive a topline scania hitched up to a trombone semi-low loader moving machinery and wide loads mainly in the UK but occasionaly around Europe too. Around leicester you should have no trouble finding work I believe your on the edge of what is called the golden triangle, plenty of work there. If you can get you class 1 you’ll stand a much better chance of getting regular work as there aint as much class 2 work around. You may have to try a few agencies before you find one that is prepared to take you on and give you plenty of work (be warned they can be full of promises) but once your off you’l never look back

Bluntman

I stand corrected. :sunglasses:

Glad you good people are around to keep me right. :smiley:

So, in the right area, with the right attitude and with the right company, age is not a restriction.

Simon:
So, in the right area, with the right attitude and with the right company, age is not a restriction.

I think thats about it. Leicester is a good area for work. And you have to be prepared to knock on doors, and be prepared to get a knock-back or two.

I also agree with Bluntman that class 1 drivers find work far easier to come by, so it`s worth going for that immediately if you can afford to.

I would bet that if you drove around haulage yards asking for a job and saying you could start immediately, that you would be off up the road by lunchtime.

Vince

Hello Capt M and welcome to the site. There is an agency on Meridian Business Park named APTUS - why don`t you give them a ring and tell them your intentions, and ask what chance there would be of someone of your age finding any work. They are always looking for drivers (theres a board on the island on the A563). May be worth a try before you make your final decision. Good luck, anyway
Regards
Trevor

Thanks for the replies. I’ve worked for quite a few agencies in leicester in the past so i think i will try to get in touch with them. I work for ASDA at the moment, so i’ll check their depots also.
Thanks for the replies and for the great website.
Capt. Manuvar