Uncoupling and coupling a trailer

As you can guess by the title I’ve got to do the uncouple and recouple tomorrow.

I’ve been given another video to watch!

As ever, if anyone else can benefit then watch away.

youtu.be/1GhULtaJNVY

The instructor is Welsh btw if you couldn’t guess :slight_smile:

Are you training tomorrow or on test?
There are a number of things “wrong” in the video that will get you a test pass but not a job when you go for a driving assessment for your first job.
If you are starting your training just listen to the trainer and do everything in the correct order.
It is impossible to miss the pin if you use the unit’s air suspension but some trainers are only teaching you to pass the test and don’t “bother” you with the correct procedure that you should use in the real world.

PM me I will send you the correct procedure involving using the unit air suspension, walk round pre use checks, when to fix the number plate, check trailer ride height, check load security, check the trailer MOT and height indicator etc.etc.

You might be interested to know that a candidate failed his test at Kirkham test centre last week for failing to stow the suzie’s when he un coupled.
This was difficult fotr the candidate given the unit had no provision for the suzie’s to be stowed !!! he just dropped them on the catwalk - safety mistake- test over.

All driving establishments are not the same!

Good luck with your training / test.

Christopher Bohane:
PM me I will send you the correct procedure involving using the unit air suspension, walk round pre use checks, when to fix the number plate, check trailer ride height, check load security, check the trailer MOT and height indicator etc.etc.

What’s the big secret? Or are you scared that we will rip apart your procedure if it is in any way flawed?

Post it in public if you stand by your training and your advice, put your money where your mouth is so to speak…

That’s all very well but I come at it from another angle. I’ve had folks carefully check the trailer before reversing under, doing all the right stuff. Pity they then forgot to check the park brake. So I have come to the conclusion that it’s much better to keep it as simple as possible rather than clutter up peoples heads with stuff totally unnecessary for passing the test. Folks know how to check a trailer if trained correctly with walk round checks. But it’s not a vital part of the exercise so why worry with it?

Same applies to removing number plates. Absolutely no need to do this on test, contrary to popular belief. As mentioned, stowing suzies is essential - though this is no more than draping them over the drawbar on a w+d.

We can all make life complicated. In my book, keep it as simple as possible and ensure the test pass.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Reef…why would you assume that I would be interested in your opinion ?

Peter…Training a candidate to “just” pass the C+E test is fine, especially in a draw bar, as long as they realise that they are woefully unprepared for the first proper driving assessment that they attend when applying for a job.
Assuming the candidate knows any thing about how a digi tacho works, how to perform a manual entry for the work done (the theory part of the assessment) before inserting the card and can answer the WTD theory questions the next hurdle they come to is the pre use check.
Many of them have no clue about the speed limiter sticker, tacho calibration, no smoking sticker, or the height indicator. They have no idea what an O licence disc is or what colour it should be, for example, presumably because no one has told them on their training course.
Assuming the prospective new employee gets as far as coupling up to the trailer it is often apparant that the proceedure that got him through the test is not acceptable.
One of the most irritating practices is not using the unit air suspension and just slamming under the pin. (un coupling the same, they are happy to just pull out from under the trailer without lowering the unit’s suspension)
They rarely mention checking the load security, trailer floor or roof because they never open the back doors. Trailer MOT date and setting the height indicator are also favourites to be missed, basic stuff you would assume?
I have given up doing assessments with new drivers that have passed their test on a draw bar because, obviously, they have no clue how to couple /uncouple or drive an artic.
It is a shame, in my opinion, that these guy’s have chosen to train as drivers then find themselves almost unemployable without further training by the prospective employer. ( if he is prepared to spend the time and money )

Christopher Bohane:

Well there you go folks, just the attitude you’d want from a prospective trainer! :open_mouth:

Peter…Training a candidate to “just” pass the C+E test is fine, especially in a draw bar, as long as they realise that they are woefully unprepared for the first proper driving assessment that they attend when applying for a job.
Assuming the candidate knows any thing about how a digi tacho works, how to perform a manual entry for the work done (the theory part of the assessment) before inserting the card and can answer the WTD theory questions the next hurdle they come to is the pre use check.
Many of them have no clue about the speed limiter sticker, tacho calibration, no smoking sticker, or the height indicator. They have no idea what an O licence disc is or what colour it should be, for example, presumably because no one has told them on their training course.
Assuming the prospective new employee gets as far as coupling up to the trailer it is often apparant that the proceedure that got him through the test is not acceptable.
One of the most irritating practices is not using the unit air suspension and just slamming under the pin. (un coupling the same, they are happy to just pull out from under the trailer without lowering the unit’s suspension)
They rarely mention checking the load security, trailer floor or roof because they never open the back doors. Trailer MOT date and setting the height indicator are also favourites to be missed, basic stuff you would assume?
I have given up doing assessments with new drivers that have passed their test on a draw bar because, obviously, they have no clue how to couple /uncouple or drive an artic.
It is a shame, in my opinion, that these guy’s have chosen to train as drivers then find themselves almost unemployable without further training by the prospective employer. ( if he is prepared to spend the time and money )

Sorry, but you haven’t got a clue who you’re addressing with these comments. Go away, do your research, and come back with sensible, relevant comments. Cant be bothered to respond to each bit of the diatribe except for stating that our candidates are in huge demand due to the standard of training.

Who is this Christopher Bonebrain chap? Good to see PS slap him down a bit. Hopefully Reef will give him some too.

Prick.

Well mr Peter Bonehead you seem to think your the only 1 that can teach students to not only pass a C+E but gain a whole life’s experience worth of artic driving in such a short time,if you were that bloody clever you would be flooded out with thousands of applicants but your not.
Proper trainers on here let the results speak for themselves and don’t go around slagging off other people’s methods ina rather limp way to drum up business (if you have 1).

Real life driving experience comes with just that not else,learn to pass our test then learn about life on the road after,as for hours etc that’s what’s CPC is for.

There that’s my 2 pence worth if I’m wrong so be it but I doubt I am.

When I did my test (yes I can still remember that far back) my instructor told me to use the mneumonic; B.L.A.C.K

for uncoupling:
B - Brakes. make sure the trailer parking brake is on (& the tractor obviously)
L - Legs. Wind them down
A - Airlines / Ancillaries. Unplug / uncouple them.
C - Clip. undo the dog clip on the fifth wheel coupling.
K - Kingpin. pull the fifth wheel lever.

When coupling the trailer do the same but in reverse. But fasten the clip before checking the kingpin lever.

C.K.A.L.B

There’s obviously a fair bit more too it that this, i.e. the physicality’s of actually doing it. You’ll be fine though. Don’t baffle yourself or panic about what you don’t know. Your instructor is there to teach you and has probably just asked you to have a quick look at the video to give you a rough idea of what to do.

Luke Vernon (switchlogic) did a fairly good video a few years back.

Wouldn’t trust the ■■■■■■■■■, as they don’t even know how to record a video. Portrait ffs really what is the 1605 ?

goshow:
for uncoupling:
L - Legs. Wind them down

What about your licence plate?

Christopher Bohane:

I couldn’t give a flying flock whether you’re interested in my opinion or not, but thanks for proving my suspicions right that you are indeed full of ■■■■■.

trot on…

tommymanc:

As already stated by a reputable trainer the license plate isn’t part of the test, so B,L,A,C,K, is still a viable checklist.

I Use B.L.A.C.K.N (in my head blacken) same as above but Numberplate on the end. Its a simple and effective way to ensure the basics when dropping/collecting a trailer. i then do my walk round checks seperately.

not the most time efficient ill grant you but it works for me. so ill stick to it

CMG

IMO it doesn’t matter what method you use, provided that the job is completed safely. If it works for you, it’s the best thing out there and don’t give it up.

C is for coupling
K is for knumberplate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christopher Bohane:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Really well I trained & passed my test in a drawbar but have never driven 1 since only ever full size arctics I do know how to couple / uncouple I do know how to drive an arctic as you do need to go a bit wider when going round a corner when at a junction you do need to position differently etc

I have never had anymore training given although I have used my tongue & asked questions not that long after I passed I did get a full time job driving arctics tramping so can be done

tommymanc:
Wouldn’t trust the [zb], as they don’t even know how to record a video. Portrait ffs really what is the 1605 ?

goshow:
for uncoupling:
L - Legs. Wind them down

When have you ever taken the licence plate on or off during a test? I don’t know anyone who ever has.