Unconventional Gearboxes

I’m not meaning the normal manual gearboxes where you press the clutch change gear and release the clutch to take up the drive again and not the normal automatic where you select drive press the accelerator to take up the drive either.

So…

1. what other types have you experienced?
  2. What are they called?
  3. How are they used?
  4. Pro’s and con’s?

Cheers.
global.

hybrids, i.e. an automatic box with a clutch pedal are nice but there is nothing in creation as lovely as the
Eaton (Eton?) double splitter

A pre selector epicyclic gearbox as fitted to some older Daimler cars.
Invented by a guy named Wilson,(Sometimes called the Wilson 'box),he is believed to have finished up in a mental asylum as a result of working out how the 'box worked.
I learned to drive in the army in the '60’s using this type of box in an Alvis Saladin armoured car.

1971 scammell handyman with a semi automatic 5 speed plus splitter. you just changed gear normally through the fixed gates on the floor mounted column , no clutch pedal fitted. lightning quick changes.
eaton twin splitter , best box ever , changed gear by engines revs , no clutch except when you set off.

Around 1990-2000 quite a few coaches were fitted with a 7 speed ‘Comfort Shift’ gearbox. It was air or electronic selection, you could use it like a conventional 'box or pre-select the gear and just dip the clutch to change. Ruddy good box.

zeroshift.com/

Not in trucks …yet

I tooled around Belfast behind the wheel of a Saracen armoured car during the hunger strikes. No idea of the name of the gearbox, just remember it was 6 speed and you could “reverse” the gearbox to give you 6 reverse gears too! Just as fast backwards as forwards. :smiley: . It also had the steering wheel in front of the steering column! Wtf!

The most outstanding feature however was its ability to electrify the outside armour! Great fun when the little scrotes jumped on it at the lights. :smiley:

the maoster:
I tooled around Belfast behind the wheel of a Saracen armoured car during the hunger strikes. No idea of the name of the gearbox, just remember it was 6 speed and you could “reverse” the gearbox to give you 6 reverse gears too! Just as fast backwards as forwards. :smiley: . It also had the steering wheel in front of the steering column! Wtf!

The most outstanding feature however was its ability to electrify the outside armour! Great fun when the little scrotes jumped on it at the lights. :smiley:

Exactly what we need here in Jhb city centre :smiley:

remember the pre select boxes on the London buses, the really old ones, pre selected then dipped clutch for changes I think.

I also remember the handbrakes were a thing of beauty

Telligent in the Mercs is a bit different. Got a flappy paddle on the arm rest with a smaller flappy paddle on the front for half gears. Button on the left to go into neutral and a button on the right to get into reverse and for shifting a full gear. Press the paddle forwards or backwards and the system selects the gear it thinks you need. I never bother with it though, I prefer full manual mode.

I drive tractor with a vario box, a cvt type thing. As soon as its moving forward I can knock it into cruise and go from 0 to 65kph under full power. Can either drive it on the pedal or joystick, flick the joystick one way and I can go from flat out forward to flat out backwards! I can also pull the joystick back to raise the revs to use engine braking to slow down. Awesome bit of kit to drive.

I can very vaguely remember driving a late 70’s - early 80’s DAF rigid with a back to front gearbox i.e. 2nd was where 1st would be etc, did not do more that shunt it around the yard (was only a lad at the time) - but the regular driver did not seem to have any problems - at least thats what he told me :smiley: :smiley:

I’ve used a Leyland Pneumocyclic gearbox with fluid clutch on a ■■■■■■■ v903 motor. The gearbox had to have over 90psi for it to select a gear.
It didn’t have a clutch pedal just a lever with rubber gaiter round it, you pushed it forward and selected 1st on a large dial next the lever, the lever sprang back to its original position, hand break off and off you went until the revs went over 2500rpm, throttle off select 2nd and away again. When coming down the gearbox you had to slow the truck down using the brakes until the revs were below 1800rpm to select a lower gear.
The ride was very bouncy through the gears and the vehicle tended to lurch a bit. Saying all that it was great fun and would love to have another go if I had the chance!!

Regards SB

bestbooties:
A pre selector epicyclic gearbox as fitted to some older Daimler cars.
Invented by a guy named Wilson,(Sometimes called the Wilson 'box),he is believed to have finished up in a mental asylum as a result of working out how the 'box worked.
I learned to drive in the army in the '60’s using this type of box in an Alvis Saladin armoured car.

Same gearbox fitted to cvrt Wilson could not under stand why it would neutral turn good box just have to time the gear change right to get it smooth up the box easy going down ahh

Ive seen a couple of 400 sed atkis with 250 ■■■■■■■ to clutch to torque convertor then a 9 speed fuller, rev up and go .

Angus25:
Same gearbox fitted to cvrt Wilson could not under stand why it would neutral turn good box just have to time the gear change right to get it smooth up the box easy going down ahh

If you didn’t press the Gear Change Pedal,(Instead of the clutch),far enough down and you got a ,“False neutral”,your left knee would come up and smack you under the chin!.

Another type of gearbox was the 6 speed semi auto built by Self Change Gears as fitted to the Chieftain tank.
The only control was a small lever,like the gear change on a motorbike,by your left foot.
You hooked it up to change up,and kicked it down to change down.
Also,as previously mentioned,in a tracked vehicle installation,when in neutral,you could perform a neutral turn.
By pulling the right stick up,the left track goes forwards and the right track goes backwards.
Pulling up the left stick results in turning the other way.

This one is a little strange and takes some getting used to as did the old Foden five speed box with a super low crawler which operated in a similar way.

dennissociety.org.uk/nl/ogearbox.html