Unconventional Agency Sign-Up

I’ve got some firm offering to come around to my place to take details off me next week. They expect me to provide them with photocopies to take away of all my bits, but having booked the “incall”, I’m now getting alarm bells ringing over what kind of firm this is? :question:

Only have an internet ad & phone number - I have no idea if and where they have an actual office - They reckon they are in the process of “moving down from London” when I asked over the phone.

If I provide them with said photocopies, am I setting myself up for some serious ID theft?
When signing up with agencies, it’s usual to give current account details as well - imagine the scope for mis-use there?!
:exclamation:
Would I be within my rights to insist upon this guy turning up showing and giving ME the same ID that he’s asking me for?
Has anyone else heard of an agency that sends someone to do an incall when signing up? :confused:

The daft thing is, I would not have had a second thought about it all IF the guy said he was going to bring around his laptop and scanner! - It’s the mickey mouseness of asking ME to do that that rings my “chicken ■■■■ outfit” alarm! :imp:

Thanks in advance.

Steer clear and inform the police

It’s not theirs anymore,
This is our England now.
Paaaaarrrrrrttttttttyyyyyyyy

You don’t have to sign up just tell them you’re no longer interested :open_mouth:

Winseer:
I’ve got some firm offering to come around to my place to take details off me next week. They expect me to provide them with photocopies to take away of all my bits, but having booked the “incall”, I’m now getting alarm bells ringing over what kind of firm this is? :question:

Only have an internet ad & phone number - I have no idea if and where they have an actual office - They reckon they are in the process of “moving down from London” when I asked over the phone.

Unless you can verify that they are in fact an established agency that’s in the process of moving to new premises I’d phone back and cancel the appointment.

I don’t know about your area but generally there’s an abundance of agencies around so why take a chance on these people.

Be very carefull, with all the details you give them it could be used for I D theft.

I guess that it would be usual to provide bank accounts for them to pay your wages into but I personally wouldn’t be happy with the set up you have set out.

rings my panic alarm too. Though I actually went round to my agents house to get signed up, last minute cover for another driver who’d got himself double booked (two agencies) and asked if I could cover for him. It was a case of do the paperwork then nip round the corner to the customer and pick up the keys.

Sounds like an ideal opportunity to case your joint, steal your ID, then ring you with a fictitious job and empty your home while you are out. :laughing:

Paranoid, not me!!!

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

It’s not theirs anymore,
This is our England now.

We live in Manchester and they charge us for water!

Wheel Nut:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

It’s not theirs anymore,
This is our England now.

you got it

It’s not theirs anymore,
This is our England now.

Sounds dodgy

tachograph:

Winseer:

Unless you can verify that they are in fact an established agency that’s in the process of moving to new premises I’d phone back and cancel the appointment.

I don’t know about your area but generally there’s an abundance of agencies around so why take a chance on these people.

A few years back, I did some agency work in the greater london area, and got top dollar for it. (£16 ph PAYE 10 years ago) I’d like to pick up some top dollar work again via an agency within the M25, which was the subject of my original enquiry. It’s annoying that if you type “LGV JOB KENT” into a search engine, you don’t ever seem to get any actual jobs, just ads from agencies trying to get you on their books!

There are indeed plenty of agencies, but they all seem to have the same client base, same rates, & same hollow promises. I’ve not had anything since the first week of January, and I don’t want to be signing on for more than the 4 weeks of the tax credit run-on. Obviously, all this leaves me the vunerable “mark” that any scammers might be trying to take advantage of.
I won’t work for crap rates of pay unless it is a real nice job right on my doorstep, which hasn’t been the case over the past year, hence I hold out (and have to be prepared to go further) to get better rates outside my area.

Every agency I’ve already signed up with tells me there’s NO moffet work outside the M25 to be had, but STACKS of HIAB work, which of course only pays £8.50ph because its class 2 days monday to friday. Doesn’t encourage me to go out and get a HIAB ticket that’s for sure! I’m really after nights & weekends trunking, but there don’t seem to be much of it around except at naff rates miles away again. I’m not interested in paying to go to work, so the quest continues for “real wages for a real job”.

You sound like you got your head screwed on ok winseer. Forget the dodgy agency. Sounds really bad to me.

If they aint got an address to check out they is well dodgy man!

few years back I signed up with Face 2 Face recruitment, the consultant came around to me

Once signed up, I had work out of tesco until I relocated back to Peterborough

Wheel Nut: