Unable to book LGV CPC - grandfather rights

Hello all,

I’ve been reading this most informative forum for a couple of months now.

A change in circs. has meant that I decided to obtain my PCV & LGV licences. I made online bookings & passed the PCV & LGV multiple choice theory tests & the hazard perception tests. I also booked & passed the PCV CPC case study theory test. The DVSA online booking service will not let me book an LGV CPC case study test, nor will it let me book an PCV to LGV conversion test.

I spoke to Pearson Vue on 12/5/14 who said they would have to send off for an ‘entitlement check’ which would take 10 working days - they never bothered to call me back after that time so I’ve just negotiated their pain in the ar5e phone system again. I was told, because I obtained my car licence prior to 1997 & it included a C1 entitlement (which I’ve never used professionally), that I am ‘exempt’ from the LGV CPC case study test etc & that instead, I will have to do the 35 hours of driver CPC training prior to September 2014.

Can anyone confirm if this is indeed correct?

It seems totally unreasonable that I cannot take the 1 hour or so LGV CPC case study test & the half hour or so walk round practical test BUT I have to fit 35 hours of training in within approximately 3 months!

Who else has this happened to, or am I just real lucky?

Regards

Andy.

Seen you passed car test before 1997 so that gave you LGV C1 which puts you in the LGV periodic system

Passing before 1997 also gave you D1 with 101 code and now it gets interesting because recently the driver has the OPTION of doing PCV initial OR PCV periodic - you chose the PCV initial but my guess is that this option was not explained to you

You now have until sept 10th this year to complete 35 hours of periodic training to be able to drive LGVs commercially after that date

It might be that after that date the powers might allow the same option to LGV as they have with PCV but we await that …

Lets say your PCV DQC is expiry dated in april 2019 (and sept 2014 for LGV) then completing the 35 hours will extend that for both to april 2024 so it will not be too much of a hardship long term - passing LGV C or not will make no difference to that because the dcpc is for PCV & LGV in general - not specific categories - your licence determines what you can or cannot drive

ROG:
Lets say your PCV DQC is expiry dated in april 2019 (and sept 2014 for LGV) then completing the 35 hours will extend that for both to april 2024 so it will not be too much of a hardship long term - passing LGV C or not will make no difference to that because the dcpc is for PCV & LGV in general - not specific categories - your licence determines what you can or cannot drive

Thanks for your reply. Am I reading the above correctly in that if I pass my PCV & LGV practical tests AND do the 35 hours training prior to 10/09/2014, then I wouldn’t have to do ANOTHER 35 hours training until APril 2024?

Regards

Andy.

ABB:

ROG:

Thanks for your reply. Am I reading the above correctly in that if I pass my PCV & LGV practical tests AND do the 35 hours training prior to 10/09/2014, then I wouldn’t have to do ANOTHER 35 hours training until APril 2024?

Regards

Andy.

BY april 2024 - so 35 needed between april 2019 and april 2024

I am pretty certain I have the DQC dates correct …

If you’re going to be training for your practical driving tests then that can count towards CPC apparently. This is what my training company is doing for me, anyway.

If you do four days driving training at 4 hours per day, for example, as long as they are consecutive days then two blocks of 4 will occur within a 24 hour period so can count as one day (7 hours) of CPC. Four days training is therefore 14 hours of CPC.

Only certain companies allow training to count towards cpc. I know mine did not. always best to ask first.

So why are training companies different? Some can treat practical driver training as CPC and others cannot - what’s the difference from one company to the next?

So why are training companies different? Some can treat practical driver training as CPC and others cannot - what’s the difference from one company to the next?

To offer this, the trainer has to be approved by JAUPT (Google it) as a Training Centre and have the driving course approved as well. Some trainers are members of a consortium to “get around” the rules rather than be individually approved.

The approval is no longer a box ticking exercise like it used to be when it started.

Simply ask your trainer if they are approved or check on the JAUPT website and then look for an appropriate course (this bit could be a bit tricky as the titles of the courses vary somewhat).

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

for the trainee to benefit from practical licence acquisition dcpc hours the driver must already have a LGV category such as C1 or C already on their licence and in some cases have already passed initial modules 2 and 4

The trainer must have the practical hours approved and the easiest way is to ask them if they have

Trainers that do have the hours approved usually have a 7 hour course which they can use as many times as they wish excluding test day so taking a course over 5 days with test on day 5 can mean this…
2 to 1 = 28 hours per trainee (hours spent watching the other drive still counts)
1 to 1 - 14 hours per trainee

ROG:

Roger,

Just for information, the above was absolutely correct:

I passed my cat C in 08/14 & my cat D in 09/14 - within a few days a DQC arrived in the post from the DVSA & the cat D was valid until 09/19 & the cat Cs had expired on 9/9/14, so I went & did 35 hours (21 of which was ADR) & within 2 days of the CPC training details being uploaded, another DQC arrived from the DVSA & the expiry for ALL categories is now 10/2024 - I’m very pleased about this & consider it a bit of a result to be honest.

Regards

Anay.

ROG:
Trainers that do have the hours approved usually have a 7 hour course which they can use as many times as they wish excluding test day

We have got round the problem of the test day not counting as 7 hours towards the periodic CPC by extending that day by the amount of time the actual test takes. It is only the amount of time actually on test that cannot be counted, not the entire day.

As we normally do 2:1 training for 8 hours each day this means that a candidate can receive 7 hours CPC for every day of training inc test day.