Umbrella Experience

I recently changed agencies and was introduced to Umbrella.

I took advantage of the expense claim option where you offset your expenses against tax. £110 claimed for the week.
Based on £9.00 p/h and doing 45hrs per week I was expecting in the region of £330/340 nett, without re-reimbursement of expenses.
The Umbrella company take £24 as a handling fee.

What a shock I got when I only received some £318 :frowning:

I took a previous wage slip from a previous company doing like for like Gross pay being ±£408 per week.
I then took home £318 with only PAYE and NI deductions

I noticed my tax was less this week, some £25 compared to the previous employers, which was the only noticeable reduction.
After doing my calculations LIKE FOR LIKE there was still some £40 uncounted for. I called the Umbrella company who were not helpful at all and said I should take it up with the agency. (you robbed me)

My experience is that claiming expenses while under the Umbrella scheme is a financial loss to you and will update when I receive my next wage slip on Thursday with NO expenses claimed and proving I will take home more money.

I also worked for an agency through an umbrella company but it was a couple of years ago now and I don’t recall losing out from it. Then again, I didn’t really check my wage slips in fine detail. It will be interesting to see how you get on over the next few weeks. Maybe a quick phone call to your local tax office to clarify things might help?

LJ :sunglasses:

Update.

Was not able to get a amount as I still had roll over claim from the previous pay week so they deducted that and this week I did more hours so it will not be accurate.
I’ll get there and give an update on whether it is viable or not.