Umbrella Companys - Choice of 2

Hi Guys ive been told that I have to chose one or the other between Nova or JSA - anyone any advice, seen plenty of grumbles about Nova in the past but not took much notice of the exact reasons, probably the cost! Cheers.

IF youve got to use a payroll Co, cant you choose your own?

Prepare to ben dover an take it like a man if you use either of these firms,
“JSA provide two competitively priced, value-for-money Limited Company Service packages for contractors, Express and Liberty Service. Both services come with business insurance options.” from £95 per month

Your best option is to ask an accountant to setup a ltd company for you or DIY, open a business account with your bank (loyds was least hassle for me) and send an invoice with your timesheet every week.
Accounts fees should be around £400 per year for everything.

Deffo would agree with DIY…my accountants fees for Limited company are £500 plus £150 for tax return and yes I will be speaking to him next year as this is dear. The payroll programme cost me £125.00 but there are cheaper and of course if you just take a dividend through a limited company then there wont be any need to use a payroll programme!!

As much as I agree about bypassing umbrella Cos & going it alone, iirc toby stated in the past he wasnt going down the Ltd Co route
despite my hatred for payroll Cos several guys I know use a Co in Lincoln, AFAIK their fees a slightly less than most

ive just set up as sole trader and they wont accept that , its one or the other im afraid.

tobytyke:
ive just set up as sole trader and they wont accept that , its one or the other im afraid.

If you can get work elsewhere, the simple answer would be “Neither”

I am not sure of the legality of these agencies refusing to take on PAYE employees.

trubster:

tobytyke:
the simple answer would be neither

+1

trubster:

tobytyke:

If you can get work elsewhere, the simple answer would be “Neither”

I am not sure of the legality of these agencies refusing to take on PAYE employees.

Tell em to go spin total crap …an agency I worked for years did this promised paye then said HO wouldn’t play ball and had to go SE told them to shove it and the agency is Nationwide Driver Services … ooh you can still go paye though via an umbrella company :open_mouth: now work that out

I use Nova apart from cost have had no problems with them in the last two years, find them very helpful.

Wouldn’t touch either of them.

Ask why they insist on using these two Umbrellas? what’s in it for them? Refuse to sign up and see if they back down.

Plenty of other agencies or direct jobs.

Herongate:
Wouldn’t touch either of them.

Ask why they insist on using these two Umbrellas? what’s in it for them? Refuse to sign up and see if they back down.

Plenty of other agencies or direct jobs.

This^^^^

I’m a sole trader and I don’t use brolly companies as I don’t see why they should make money for doing nothing…

It’s bad enough with the agencies doing that.

It will cost you £100 to set up your Limited Company, then you need a bank account in the name of that company.
You will be a director but you don’t have to be, your spouse/partner whoever can be a director registered at Companies House
You will need to publish annual accounts audited by a qualified accountant
You can claim all expenses including travel costs, workwear, accommodation
There are tax advantages to being a limited company

The only reason anyone still uses umbrella, with the general knowledge out there that it’s ‘all crooked’ is that old chesnut “Oooh you just won’t ever get any work” unless you sign up!

Grow some balls people. Seriously! :exclamation:

The 2nd reason why people use umbrella companies … they`re too lazy to do the bookkeeping of S/E themselves

… or they insist upon being “Number two” in a company that only consists of themselves… :stuck_out_tongue:

Not everyone can handle being a boss, even when it’s being their own boss. :open_mouth:

As self employed either Sole Trader or Limited Company you can register for VAT
This means you must charge VAT on all your sales invoices but you can claim the VAT back on all your expenses which means mainly vehicle costs, fuel, servicing, repairs, tyres etc
It also allows access to company lease deals for new car and commercial vehicles
Those rather pleasing crew cab pick ups are classed as commercials and as such are 100% VAT deductable

As long as you arent registered for VAT under the flat rate scheme, then yes you can reclaim vat on applicable purchases. I believe that if you are on the flat rate scheme then you may only reclaim VAT on capital expenditure which has a value of above £2k