ukon

I may be a little late but did anyone work for ukon in the late 1970’s? Do you remember anyone by the name of Frank?

chris everitt:

mark m&s gb:
is there any ex ukon drivers on here

ukon had a depo at essex road hoddesdon and then moved to witham essex

Barnard Russell (Russ) worked for them late 70s/80s

Hullo,
I remember Ukon very well, they also had Silver DAF,s and did a fair bit of Italian Work too. There were a couple of Really Good blokes on there, two I remember very well were Steve ( just forget his Surname) and Alan Johnston. I have never seen Steve since then, I have seen Alan, but even that was a long time ago. I believe he is now a comfortably off Haulier ( A rare thing indeed) I have talked to him on the Internet also. From what I understand they both get out to see Steve the Dog in Thailand now and then. Do you know them Chris ?
Cheers, Archie.

HI i know them we were all doing russia together steves clark and allen we all parked in the same yard at braintree back in the late 70s i did some subbing for ukon

Archie Paice:
Hullo,
I remember Ukon very well, they also had Silver DAF,s and did a fair bit of Italian Work too. There were a couple of Really Good blokes on there, two I remember very well were Steve ( just forget his Surname) and Alan Johnston. I have never seen Steve since then, I have seen Alan, but even that was a long time ago. I believe he is now a comfortably off Haulier ( A rare thing indeed) I have talked to him on the Internet also. From what I understand they both get out to see Steve the Dog in Thailand now and then. Do you know them Chris ?
Cheers, Archie.

HI i know them we were all doing russia together steves clark and allen we all parked in the same yard at braintree back in the late 70s i did some subbing for ukon

Archie Paice:
Hullo,
Cheers, Archie.

HI i know them we were all doing russia together steves clark and allen we all parked in the same yard at braintree back in the late 70s i did some subbing for ukon.

Hullo Chris,
Great to see you on here mate, I hope you and But are keeping well these days. We shall I hope be over there again sometime after Xmas. I shall try once more this week to see Pam, but she’s always busy.
Yes of course I forgot that Alan and Steve were doing Russia, in fact that’s the last time I spoke to Alan, he was in a blue DAF and he had pulled it up right to right outside the Wheelhouse, between the Wheelhouse door and the Customs door. He was quite excited and said that he was just off to Russia, he was doing it as I remember for a Company called Kepstow or something like that, though I can’t think why he was near to the Wheelhouse (Import Parking).
Thinking back I believe you mentioned that you did Russia with them, while we were stopping with you.
Cheers, Archie.

Hey guys im still trying to contact an ex ukon guy called frank bates (bacon bates) I have his grandson and another on the way. I am unable to marry his son until we have made contact with him so if anyone has any information on how I can contact him please please let me know. Thanks

Does anyone know if there was a frank spenser at ukon?

Just been having a chat with a good friend of mine and my old mans who worked for Ukon late 70s early 80s called John Bartlett aka Bradford John who did the Hoffbrau beer job amongst other stuff. Its funny really he is in his 70s now and was reminiscing about his driving days doing European and M.E work and Ukon was mentioned which I had seen on here.
Here’s a few names he mentioned to see if it jogs someone’s memory just hope I’ve spelled them right

Dave Lovey
Geoff Rance ( Para )
Kenny Kendricks who was a subby
Brian Barnett
■■■■■■■■ Bob
Ian Clayton
Mick Ashby ( Toyshop )

Johns going to sort some photos out and hopefully I’ll get them scanned and posted

philberg182:
Just been having a chat with a good friend of mine and my old mans who worked for Ukon late 70s early 80s called John Bartlett aka Bradford John who did the Hoffbrau beer job amongst other stuff. Its funny really he is in his 70s now and was reminiscing about his driving days doing European and M.E work and Ukon was mentioned which I had seen on here.
Here’s a few names he mentioned to see if it jogs someone’s memory just hope I’ve spelled them right

Dave Lovey
Geoff Rance ( Para )
Kenny Kendricks who was a subby
Brian Barnett
[zb] Bob
Ian Clayton
Mick Ashby ( Toyshop )

Johns going to sort some photos out and hopefully I’ll get them scanned and posted

Hi “philberg182”
If you get your Dad to contact Chris Everitt on here, he is a great friend of Mick Ashby’s. In fact Mick has now moved out to Thailand and I would think that he is now firmly rooted in Nakon Rakachima (Korat) near to where Chris lives. In fact your Dad probably knows Chris himself.

Hi Archie, Sorry a bit confusing John isn’t my old man he was a freind and workmate of my late father and someone who I also worked with until he retired over 10 years ago but I speak to him most weeks

Phil

philberg182:
Hi Archie, Sorry a bit confusing John isn’t my old man he was a freind and workmate of my late father and someone who I also worked with until he retired over 10 years ago but I speak to him most weeks

Phil

Oops! Sorry Phil :smiley: , My mistake, never mind if you speak to John again soon then you can tell him instead of you Dad. I hope he gets to talk to Chris and Mike Ashby. I seem to remember the name of Bradford John too.
Cheers, Archie,

hey guys me again I am trying to find an ex ukon driver from the 70s called frank it will be his 71st birthday tomorrow I dont know his last name but i know its not bates as first thought. I have 10 other possible names based on birth records and know he has a son called mark. Any suggestions to narrow my search?

Just a thought the O/P is a Mark. :bulb:

I did some work for Pieter Kroon over the last few years, acting as a forwarder and still has some forklift work - just can’t remember exactly where he’s based

Hi Mark.If i remember correctly,weren’t UKON from somewhere around Harlow area.,they had silver Volvo’s.I used to go over with them in the early 70s on the Harwich\Hoek boat when it was still SMZ [Stoomvaart Maatschaapij Zeeland],and sometimes on the old train ferry from Harwich to Zeebrugge.
IIRC there was an older guy and a tall guy[ken] :question: who spoke good German who were regulars on the boat.They had a beer contract from Germany back to the UK IIRC.Mike

mark m&s gb:

ukon had a depo at essex road hoddesdon and then moved to witham essex