UK Trucks carry 10 US tons more than US trucks?

Hi there,

(Not sure if this is the correct sub forum to post this in. My apologies if not but I figured the best place for answers would be where the pro drivers hung out.)

I always got the impression US trucks were huge compared to UK ones. I know for a fact US road systems are far wider than skinny UK roads and just imagined US trucks to be bigger all round to take advantage of this.

I recently looked this up and it states here…
answerbag.com/q_view/2284646
… that the maximum wight for a US truck is 40 tons.

However here it states a UK truck is 44 tons…
businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac … =RESOURCES

Now, keeping in mind a UK ton is acctuall heavier than a US ton…
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ton
… This mean a UK truck can legally carry 50 US tons.

So with all that out of the way I have two questions.

1- Does this explaine why most US trailers have 2 axels at the rear and UK has 3?
2 - Is this info I have taken from the net corrrect of wrong? Anyone know for sure.

Any info greatly appreciated

those peterbilts must weigh 40ton on there own. There are at least 4 yank truckers?on here so sure they’ll put you right. Those extra long trailers that are allowed in some states must carry more than 40ton?

I’m sure our resident north America (self appointed) expert Carryfast will be along soon to tell us why we’ve got it all wrong and the US is right.

Hi fellas, thanks for replies.

It does state 40 US tons gross. IE including the weight of the vehicle, fuel etc.

Mind my source IE answerbag is hardly 100% reliable.

kola:

neither is Curryfart! Lol haha

so for example…

only weighs 40ton fully freighted??

and what about these then fully loaded?

Hi there, I’ve had this question from friends in the USofA before! :slight_smile:

My vehicle can easily carry a payload of 29,000 kgs which is 63.934 US lb, on a flatbed trailer

The legal gross vehicle weight over 6 axels on air suspension in the UK is 44 tons which is 49.28 US tons

We also have length & cornering restrictions which is why we’re stuck with cabover type trucks and close coupled trailers instead of the huge beasts (?) you have over there

Our trucks are mostly single axel drive to and can come with various options of lifting different axels off the road at certain times (ie empty or light running) to save tyre wear & reduce rolling resistance (ie costs :confused: )

Hope that helps (clear as mud maybe lol :laughing: ) :sunglasses:

Cruise Control:

kola:

neither is Curryfart! Lol haha

so for example…

only weighs 40ton fully freighted??

and what about these then fully loaded?

I’m no expert :wink: but a lot of people confuse Canadian weight limits with American ones and A and B trains are subject to weight and route restrictions both in Canada and US (turnpike doubles).Many States have their own weight limits but the relevant one,in the context of the lower US limits compared to Euro ones,is the general Federal DOT Interstate limit which has been well under 40t gross for years.

But newmercman and BTD will shoot me down quick enough if I’m wrong. :open_mouth: :laughing:

ok ,yup a regular usa semi weighs 80000pounds gross…3+2.
a canadian regular semi 39.5 metric tonnes,front axle max allowed 5.5 tns ,double drive 17tns , trailor tandem 17tns …3+2
canadian b-train 3+2+2…56.5 tnns
super b 3+3+2 …62.5tns? duhhh moment ,should know ,not had coffee yet.
but remember the canadian weights are for ATAC rds (main rds),also not including winter weight restrictions/spring road weights.
ie i haul out of a quarry on a restricted rd (looks like a A class rd in uk to me)for 5mls till i hit main rds(dont look any different to the restricted rd) so im expected to run at 53.5 gross .not 56.5.for next 90mls back to yrd.
only did 6mnth in usa hauling , spent more time in canada running…
jimbo…

railcan.ca/documents/news/37 … WxD_en.pdf

The link gives information on weights permitted in Canada using various combinations of trailers. Within the report some comparisons are made with US truck limits.
It was commisioned by the railway lobby so, as is to be expected, it is anti heavy truck.

I can get 45000lbs in mine, within the US gross of 80000lbs, the most I’ve loaded is 46500lbs, but that was in a box van and I usually pull a reefer, getting axle weights right can be a bit of a pain at gross as there is no tolerance, it’s 12000lb on the steer axle and 34000lb on both the drives and trailer axles, although once you get your 5th wheel in the right place you should hit 12000lb on the front as your drives hit 34000lb, then it’s just a case of moving the trailer bogie around to get the weight on it as close to 34000lb as possible and the unit takes care of itself.

Having experienced trucking on both sides of the pond, I can see that it seems madness to run such big trucks around at such low weights, but having experienced the roads, weather conditions and most importantly, the terrible driving standards, I’m glad that we only cart 80000lbs around :open_mouth:

lol :smiley: …but why do we have double drives!!!
saves someone else asking …■■ :smiling_imp: :unamused:
roll on the spring thaw /quarries re-open
jimmy ,stirring again…

JIMBO47:
lol :smiley: …but why do we have double drives!!!

You’re a bad man Jimmy :laughing:

That’s a question I often ask myself, I’ve experienced some pretty bad conditions so far this winter, lots of ice and more deep snow than I would like, I would’ve been able to cope with all of it with a 6x2, my preference would be for a mid lift, as you know, the short pin depth on our trailers means that you couldn’t get the 5th wheel far enough forward to make a tag axle practical, I reckon that the mid lift with dual tyres would give us the best of both worlds, we’d get the stability of the tandem bogie at the back of the unit and have the ability to lift it when we needed extra traction :wink:

But then what do I know, I’m sure there’s an expert out there somewhere who could enlighten us all :open_mouth: :laughing:

robson drive like the swedes would be ok as well (wheel drops down between drive axle 6x2 and tag axle).turns a tag into a driven-ish axle.
saves a bit o weight .
jimmy

Hi guys,

wow, some super technical answers way over my head.

The photos posted seem irrelevant as the weight is spread out over two separate trailers where as I am talking about one trailer. Correct me if Im wrong but surely the UK weight limit is 44 UK tons (IE neigh on 50 US tons) per trailer not total load? Can someone confirm this?
Im guessing this is to do with how much the road can handle. So, if the load is spread out over two trailers both with 3 rear axles each then this is no different to two separate trucks and in that case a double trailer UK truck would again be heavier.

Surely there is an easy answer. To ask this another way, I know how much a UK truck can take as I understand the law here. Can someone just bottom line how heavy a US truck can legally take.

a usa artic 3axle unit &2axle trailor -=80,000 lbs gross weight.
payload on box van was around 46,000 in usa imo,kw unit ,53ft trailor.
its in lbs as that is what the americans use.!
NMM & myself have already mentioned this…

kola:
To ask this another way, I know how much a UK truck can take as I understand the law here.

Hi kola,
I’ll leave the US/Canada stuff to those who understand it better than I do, but unless I’m reading this wrongly (perfectly possible :blush: ) you might be confusing some terminology, because of this:

kola:
Correct me if Im wrong but surely the UK weight limit is 44 UK tons (IE neigh on 50 US tons) per trailer not total load? Can someone confirm this?

The UK weight limit is 44,000kgs (metric) for a six axle artic. (An artic is the cab unit + the trailer together.)
44,000kgs is the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)

Taking zebadee’s nice easy load weight figure (thanks John :wink: ) of 29,000kgs, we call this “payload.”

44,000kgs (GVW) minus 29,000kgs (payload) means that his artic weighs 15,000kgs (tare) before any load is loaded. (Tare = empty weight.)
Or to put it another way, the tare + the payload can’t normally exceed 44,000kgs GVW for a UK artic.

I hope that helps. :smiley:

From Wikipedia:

FMCSA regulation §658.17 states: “The maximum gross vehicle weight shall be 80,000 pounds except where lower gross vehicle weight is dictated by the bridge formula.”

80,000 lbs = 36,287 kgs

Lol Dave, I did round the figures off a bit for simplicity :smiley:

I think the guys getting confused between Gross Vehicle Weight & Payload …

… a bit like the old storys of a fella hireing a 7.5t truck to carry … yes you guessed right, 7.5t! On a car license at that! :open_mouth: :confused:

To be VERY basic … an artic, fully loaded in the UK can weigh 44 metric Tonnes, the same in the US is approximately 36 metric Tonnes (80,000 lb)

Guys can someone just bottom line it for me.

Is the legal maximum gross weight of a US truck, lighter than the legal maximum gross weight of a UK truck?

kola:
Guys can someone just bottom line it for me.

Is the legal maximum gross weight of a US truck, lighter than the legal maximum gross weight of a UK truck?

MGW US tractor unit + 1 trailer = 36 tonnes.

MGW UK tractor unit + 1 trailer = 44 tonnes (except in special circumstances such as indivisible loads).