Uk radio coverage abroad

As a returnee to the Euro experience after over a decade in blighty,can anyone tell me if there exists a radio that can give a decent reception as far away as say Spain or Southern France?I seem to recall losing Radio 2 somewhere around the Lens area of France and sporadic radio 4 as far as Bordeaux but maybe someone can put me onto some new wizardry that may have come on tap during my time in the UK?

Radio4 on LW 198 daytime as far south as bordeaux, night time down to madrid or granada depends on weather
World service MW 648 daytime chartres at a push with the weather but night time maybe irun
Talksport MW 1053 1089 daytime chartres night time irun and maybe madrid weather permitting
5live MW 909 693 same as world service

all the above easily available in belgium and holland

germany BFBS on FM but frequency varies from base to base

south coast france into italy there is a radio station in monaco thats english on FM called Riviera

down here on south coast Spain too many to mention but most are crap too many adverts and whinging expats

failing all of that get an internet dongle for a computer and listen to everything you want online

welshboyinspain:
get an internet dongle for a computer and listen to everything you want online

Dont forget to mention the unbelieveable costs of using the internet abroad!!! :smiley:

daleyboy:

welshboyinspain:
get an internet dongle for a computer and listen to everything you want online

Dont forget to mention the unbelieveable costs of using the internet abroad!!! :smiley:

But remember free wi-fi in lots of places, and there’s more n more all the time :sunglasses:

Thanks chaps,most helpful but i’m assuming these stations are coming via your trucks built in radio which of course are somewhat underpowered as a rule.Just thought there may be an independent radio that may avail me of a wider range of signals.Jesus the choices!!Melvyn ■■■■■ Bragg discussing Merovingian dynasties or some prick droning on about 22 Cro-Magnons attempting to entice a prolate spheroid between 3 alluminium tubes,whilst being paid 50 grand a week.Frankly one despairs.

spitfire69:
Thanks chaps,most helpful but i’m assuming these stations are coming via your trucks built in radio which of course are somewhat underpowered as a rule.Just thought there may be an independent radio that may avail me of a wider range of signals.Jesus the choices!!Melvyn (zb) Bragg discussing Merovingian dynasties or some prick droning on about 22 Cro-Magnons attempting to entice a prolate spheroid between 3 alluminium tubes,whilst being paid 50 grand a week.Frankly one despairs.

In Belgium, tune into classic 21 on 96.4 for mainly classic rock.
In France, 107.7 for autoroute radio, all sorts of weird stuff in music and traffic reports in English.
Neither are inspiring choices, but they’re a stepp up from what you seem to be listening too :smiley:

In Germany SWR 3 ;; WDR 1 BAYERN 3 just to name a couple
as well as BFBS;

That long waves radio is a funny thing. I used to listen to Polish radio 1 on 225 in decent quality when I was doing A9 night trunks to Inverness, but I was never able to catch it during the day at all…

I always download various podcasts onto my iPhone when in the uk then I plug my phone into the aux plug on the stereo then i can listen to my music and radio when I’m across the water.

1548m on medium wave capital gold is good across Europe at night.

I had an old Mercedes car radio once that had SW as well as the usual FM, MW and long wave and that had quite a few English language stations you could pick up around Europe, but they made the world service sound entertaining :unamused:

jimti:
1548m on medium wave capital gold is good across Europe at night.

I had an old Mercedes car radio once that had SW as well as the usual FM, MW and long wave and that had quite a few English language stations you could pick up around Europe, but they made the world service sound entertaining :unamused:

my actros has short wave on the radio must be a german thing?

got talksport when dark all through france.listened to arsenal barcelona comments on talksport in macon on wednesday night as italian diy sos was on in bar !!!

my nightly runs to frankfurt used to go something like this;
James Whale (Talksport) off the boat, when I got to Chem-alot in Netherlands, could pick up BFBS on FM. when that faded out along the A3, i could pick up also on FM, AFN - broadcasting from Weisbaden(armed forces network - US military) could also get that from Valenciennes on A2 in France through to Zaventem.

World Sevice and Radio 4 on LW used to do me on the Italian runs. Remember getting AFN round Pisa as well.

Alot of World Service output is shared with radio 4. Not been on the road for a few years and quite miss ‘Westway’

The Archers has a strange effect on euro drivers as well, sometimes ran with a few other drivers on a Sunday, when the Archers Omnibus came on, the CB would go unusally quiet for an hour. The Archers (used to be at least) was so bad, it was good!

Nothing wrong with Eddy Grundy and all the other residents of Ambridge. It’s a habit i picked up when weekended in France or around Irun. I listen to the omnibus on sunday mornings or get the podcast if i miss it. Always rather fancied that Shula Archer even though i haven’t got a clue what she looks like. You can’t be a proper international driver if you don’t follow the Archers !.

all together now;
dum-de-dum de-dum de-dum, dum-de-dum de daa-da, dum-de-dum de-dum de-dum, dum-de-diddly dah…

Ex Haulier:
Nothing wrong with Eddy Grundy and all the other residents of Ambridge. It’s a habit i picked up when weekended in France or around Irun. I listen to the omnibus on sunday mornings or get the podcast if i miss it. Always rather fancied that Shula Archer even though i haven’t got a clue what she looks like. You can’t be a proper international driver if you don’t follow the Archers !.

Hope this doesnt burst your bubble :smiley: Judy Bennett aka Shula Archer

Mmmm, couple of pints and probably !.

spitfire69:
Thanks chaps,most helpful but i’m assuming these stations are coming via your trucks built in radio which of course are somewhat underpowered as a rule.Just thought there may be an independent radio that may avail me of a wider range of signals.Jesus the choices!!Melvyn (zb) Bragg discussing Merovingian dynasties or some prick droning on about 22 Cro-Magnons attempting to entice a prolate spheroid between 3 alluminium tubes,whilst being paid 50 grand a week.Frankly one despairs.

You think that’s bad. I was in Sweden a few years back. The only English language station I could find was going on about the high suicide rate in Sweden and the ins & outs of tree leaves.

As to your original question. Short wave radio’s are good.