UK or Spain??

Hi all

After several months away I am back on Trucknet, unfortunatly during my period away I have been (for want of better words) shafted by my old boss who I trusted and thought I had a very open and honest relationship with.

Anyway moving on, as is the case with almost every driver out there I find myself in the flooded market of seeking employment, I have managed to get some work with a friend driving possibally the worst truck I have ever driven (an iveco 18t day cab) doing night time market runs. but desperatly want to get back doing the continantal distance work.

after contacting some old friends I have been offered a contract with Solstor, and Firmins both similar rates doing close european including Spain and Portugal for myself as a subby.

My father who is living in sunny Spain is an international CPC holder and I will be taking the exam shortly myself, and I am in the very very fortunate position having enough funding to being able to put 3 trucks on the road within a fairly short time scale. I have done all the maths and I know I wont be a millionaire etc etc but the rates allow a fair living, and hopefully give another couple of drivers a job however my question is which would you do?

Set up in Spain or the UK?

Red tape here in the UK is a bloody nightmare but equally I know that Red tape in Spain can be even worse!

whilst I will be based over here I will also be travelling to Spain on a regular basis, and an operating centre over there wont be a problem.

Please bear in mind the decision for me is purely financial, and ease based and not anything to do with living in sunny spain looking for the good life!

So which is worse! Spain or the UK■■?

none of the above.
Bulgaria is the easiest, you get a rebate on all new trucks, and the dealer will sort out you o’licence. most greeks are buying in bulgaria now. it’s prety much a case of buying it, and running it.

Limeyphil

That sounds interesting, however do I need to prove a certain amount of time in Bulgaria? Also should I trust anything the Greeks do at the moment!!
Do you have any contacts over there?

MysonVinnie:
Limeyphil

That sounds interesting, however do I need to prove a certain amount of time in Bulgaria? Also should I trust anything the Greeks do at the moment!!
Do you have any contacts over there?

it really is as easy as i said. i had a long chat to a greek owner driver. he was really clued up.
he says it’s only the big companies that will buy greek lorries, everyone else is buying from over the border. since buying the truck, he hasn’t had any need to go back. i asked about cabotage. the rewards outway the risks, was his answer.

Have a word with vasco on here,he runs a haulage firm in Bilbao and he knows his stuff

Don’t want to knock you mate but I spoke to solstor a few weeks back and I couldn’t work out how to make it pay and Im doing work where the rates ain’t exactly great as it is.

kr79:
Don’t want to knock you mate but I spoke to solstor a few weeks back and I couldn’t work out how to make it pay and Im doing work where the rates ain’t exactly great as it is.

Interesting, have they quoted you job rates or mileage? When I spoke to my mate she was quoting me job rates on a % of the rate.

Just mileage I didn’t go to far in to it as I know fuel is cheaper but off the top of my head I couldn’t see it leaving me better off than what I do now and that ain’t great but obviously we all have different circumstances and situations and that could be the difference.

Spain is very complicated what red tape concerns, depending on the area you may need to start up with 5 trucks less than 2 years old.
If you can find a viable alternative it would be a good idea at the moment

Solstor 1.25ppm £200 for there fridge how the hell can you make that pay
with a driver on board

Daf Man 480:
Solstor 1.25ppm £200 for there fridge how the hell can you make that pay
with a driver on board

Daf man 480 that is certainly not the rates that I have been quoted, in fact no where near the rates! Quite frankly at those rates I would rather do containers for the likes of maritime!

I got quoted same as daf man. They pay ferries but I think you pay tolls. My brain shut down after 1.25

with the money saved from buying it eastern europe, that would buy a nice big house beside the sea. :wink:

I have also looked into spain a decided it’s not for me the bad points

1)Banks in spain have money you need a couple of bank accounts and getting even a basic one isn’t easy.
2)Their VAT is an accountants dream and nightmere !! all in one :open_mouth:
3)Tax well you don’t pay it simples :smiley: problem is you end up being charged in your absence convicted and given a long sentance, but Paul Frampton who has a depot is spain said of the spanish and not himself I hasten to add “the spainish treat tax avoidance like a national game”

Buying atruck in spain is no cheaper but I have bought the odd new fridge over the years saving between £5k-£7k a time a service is also much cheaper

I have property in spain but not a business bank account I hope this helps !

PS how on earth can you drive to southern spain on £1.25 a mile unless you are into slavery :unamused: , running on red :wink: or you a running a FM 7 that does 12 to the gallon on the flat. I now of one lad who does two trips a month to Marbella carrying cars in a covered transporter with an FM7 290 he works very hard in the mountains he tells me !!

Thanks for all the replies and info, I think I will stick with the UK for now, it’s got to be a bit easier after all it’s better the devil you know!!

Anyway I have also had a chance to have a proper look through the solstor pack today, and I have to say it but I think you guys are right! It states 'either a 94% share of the total value of the net profit of the job or £1.25 per mile whichever has been mutually agreed with all parties involved, should no agreement be decided at least 7days prior to commencing the route then the latter will apply!

It just don’t pay!!!

Back to the drawing board - where is that stobarts franchise pack I got sent :wink:

Look mate im not trying to put you off but unless you have good paying direct work keep your money in the bank. I have a lateish lorry with not mega finance and all in all I’m earning less than what I was in my last employed job.

kr79:
Look mate im not trying to put you off but unless you have good paying direct work keep your money in the bank. I have a lateish lorry with not mega finance and all in all I’m earning less than what I was in my last employed job.

i can get you some good paying work.

I can do without getting nicked thanks.