UK Mail

ClassOneHD:
UK Mail are owned by DHL now, when there were redundancies at my place, the class one drivers here were told about the local UK mail hub who were after a driver, for nights. The pay was around 22-24k :blush: , wagon and drag work, it may vary depot to depot though. I get more than that on 7.5t :laughing:

On top of that they were really difficult to set us on, as if they didnā€™t want DHL drivers. I was self employed previously to being employed by DHL and UK Mail said we need to see your accountsā€¦what?! Get ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– . Low wages and no overtime.

Own Account Driver:

Toddy2:

dox:
Yes it is

This is the way out !!

Think I preferred the place when it made Peugeots.

They made Hillman before that

Adonis.:

AndrewG:
Nothing to do with UK Mail butā€¦re 50 hrs work, when you think theres 168 hrs in a week, 50 of those isnt so bad.
Some seem to forget that this driving lark isnt the same as a boring 9-5 home every night job, if theres no flexibility and a little give and take the job just wont work for you. 40hrs knock off on the clock is static work somewhere, roads and trucks are too unpredictable for thatā€¦

Youā€™ll be better off talking to a tilt than trying to explain that to the idle and the workshy who are so precious they canā€™t miss Coronation Street or sleep in a lorry.

God forbid they arenā€™t home in time for teaā€¦

A.

Why on earth would you not WANT to be home for your tea with your family? :confused:

eagerbeaver:

Adonis.:

AndrewG:
Nothing to do with UK Mail butā€¦re 50 hrs work, when you think theres 168 hrs in a week, 50 of those isnt so bad.
Some seem to forget that this driving lark isnt the same as a boring 9-5 home every night job, if theres no flexibility and a little give and take the job just wont work for you. 40hrs knock off on the clock is static work somewhere, roads and trucks are too unpredictable for thatā€¦

Youā€™ll be better off talking to a tilt than trying to explain that to the idle and the workshy who are so precious they canā€™t miss Coronation Street or sleep in a lorry.

A.

Why on earth would you not WANT to be home for your tea with your family? :confused:

There are more exciting and interesting things to be doing than being with the same people doing the same thing every day.

A.

Adonis.:
There are more exciting and interesting things to be doing than being with the same people doing the same thing every day.

A.

Donā€™t you see the irony in that statement being made in a discussion about parcel trunking workā€¦?

eagerbeaver:

Adonis.:

AndrewG:

A.

Tbh EB it doesnt bother me if im at home or in the cab for the night. I do 4-5 nights out a week but home every weekend. Been with the missus 19years, trust each other 110% and come home to an immaculate home with everything done and have a great 2 days together.
She did Portugal last week and is off to Calais return this weekā€¦two weeks off :smiley: My turn at home for a change but suffer from cleaning ocd so no hardshipā€¦ :wink:

Roymondo:

Adonis.:

A.

Donā€™t you see the irony in that statement being made in a discussion about parcel trunking workā€¦?

Yes, if I was talking about parcel trunking.

Iā€™m not talking about parcel trunking though.

A.

AndrewG:

eagerbeaver:

Adonis.:

AndrewG:

A.

Tbh EB it doesnt bother me if im at home or in the cab for the night. I do 4-5 nights out a week but home every weekend. Been with the missus 19years, trust each other 110% and come home to an immaculate home with everything done and have a great 2 days together.
She did Portugal last week and is off to Calais return this weekā€¦two weeks off :smiley: My turn at home for a change but suffer from cleaning ocd so no hardshipā€¦ :wink:

Good on you mate. I am not a lorry enthusiast and to me itā€™s simply a tool of the trade. I can understand people and relationships being used to, and even ā€™ designed ā€™ around having 4 nights out a week and as said many times, each to their own.

For me though Andrew, work is simply something that NEEDS to be done, and I would much rather be doing other things in life.

I only drive trucks because I didnā€™t listen at school and ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  around something chronic :blush: Fortunately for me, I am in a financial position to be able to afford to simply do day work. I also love a good game of golf, and competitions are at weekend so that time is for me-I have no interest whatsoever in weekend work.

Basically I am not really a ā€™ truck driver '. I operate one as part of my work but I am not interested in any other aspect of truck driving, including polishing tanks on my days off or spending wages on my employers wagon. However, if I had lost my wife for example, or didnā€™t have family or friends, or was simply a loner type, I can understand spending as much time at work as possible.

When my Mum died, my old man worked as much as he could to take his mind off things (41 years of marriage meant he didnā€™t know what to do with himself and became very lonely), and it was quite sad to see. As regards trampers, I suppose itā€™s a way of life that you get used to? Iā€™ve only ever done a few nights out and in fairness I had no problem getting a decent kip, no-one to pull the covers off or get up for a ā– ā– ā– ā–  in the middle of the night! I know you lads all have TVā€™s, kettles, microwaves etc, but if the money was right, surely most of you would prefer to be at home in your own bed at night or am I missing something? :confused: