UK/European Drivers in Canada

another thing …if you pass your test in north Dakota or MN you can take the written test in Manitoba (after the big harvest of course) and convert licence ( one member on here did just this), iirc you know him Big truck. nb, if you get a company with an LMo and job offer in Canada.

agritelbill:
Hello All,

New to this forum and I apologize if I screw up in my first post. Willing to learn from all the vets in here.

I’m just wondering where is the best place to find European drivers who are interested in moving to Canada? Doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of free job boards like there is in Winnipeg to post anything, so I thought I’d reach out to the source!

The company I work for is coming to London in the first week of November, 2017 through our Provincial Nominee Program to recruit European drivers and I’d like to create some relationships with anyone interested before coming over.

Again, I’m sorry if I posted in the wrong area. I’ll delete and repost in whatever area i’m supposed to if someone can provide some direction.

Thanks a ton.

Bill H.
Agri-Tel Transporation Ltd.

Morning Bill

Any chance you can keep us updated please on when you will be over and where i.e. will it be a job fair type thing or just one to one meetings

Thanks

Interesting thread. I might help with some info regarding emigrating to Canada with Permanent residency via Provincial Nominee Program.
I don’t know if you can work trucking in Canada on work visa, my info is only for permanent residency. The whole process is expensive, long and with a lot of restrictions, for example EU licence is not recognized at all, you need everything from scratch.
In July(I think) 2017 Canada introduces mandatory truck driving school lessons in order to obtain CDL - this cost money;
renting a flat - deposit, rent in advance etc - a lot of money.
buying a car from day one - money
visas, tickets, food etc. Are you OK with several months when the temp does not go over -10C!
Also bear in mind that trucking in North America has NOTHING to do with UK and Europe in general - weather, traffic, length of trips, rules. You might be on the road for weeks and not see your family. Most of the people in this forum like to sleep in their beds every day, thats great, but forget it if you plan to go to Canada/US.

I will post the email an immigration lawyer I’ve contacted sent me last Monday, you make your conclusions. The information is for Permanent Residency in Saskatchewan for Long Haul trucking Provincial Nominee Program. I’ve deleted only my and the lawyer names.

"Thank you for your email.

Given that regulations, programs, and procedures are constantly evolving to fit Canada’s needs. No one can say with certainty what it will take to qualify a month or a year from now. Therefore, I would suggest that you contact my law firm again closer to the time you feel ready enough to proceed. At that time, I would be able to re-evaluate your options and provide you with the most up to date information.

However, to give you a rough idea of how the process works, I have gone ahead and provided you with the answers to your questions in the sections below. Of course, these figures are subject to change in the future.

Express Entry is two-part process. First, candidates who are eligible for one of Canada’s federal economic immigration programs submit a profile. Next, the highest-ranked candidates are drawn from the pool and issued Invitations to Apply (ITAs) for Canadian permanent residence. At the ITA stage, candidates have only 90 days submit a complete application for Canadian permanent residence.

At this time, you would be hiring our firm for the first (pre-ITA) part of the process. We try to keep our fees as low as possible and encourage clients to hire us for the part of the Express Entry process where they can immediately benefit from our assistance.

As soon as a client begins working with our firm under this Express Entry contract, we guide them with the collection of their documents and preparation of their profiles. Our service also involves helping our clients take steps to improve their ranking scores by providing clients with language resources, updates about Provincial Nominee Programs as well as Job Bank assistance and Job search resources. Our service also involves a review of clients’ supporting documents, test scores, and credential assessment(s).

Our goal is to assist our clients in submitting a strong and accurate profile, to help maximize our clients’ chance of receiving an ITA, and to put our clients in a position to react quickly if or when they receive an ITA. To date, most of our clients who have received ITAs have also chosen to continue working with our firm throughout the remainder of the application process.

When one of our clients obtains his or her ITA, he or she then has two choices:

1- Hire our law firm for the remainder of the process, under a new contract, so that we can guide him or her in accepting the ITA and submitting the documents we have reviewed in an application for permanent residence.

2- Not hire our firm, in which case our former clients may still benefit from and make use of the documentation we have reviewed. If a client chooses to stop working with our firm after receiving an ITA, we will have completed our mandate and he or she will no longer be provided with our guidance.

The fees for each part of the process are currently broken down as follows:

1. Express Entry and Job Bank profiles:

Our fees for our assisting you with the Express Entry and Job Bank profile are $1995 USD and are divided into two instalments. There are no government fees currently required to submit the Express Entry or Job Banks profiles.

1. Accepting an ITA:

Our law firm’s fees to pursue an application for Canadian permanent residence for candidates who receive an ITA under Express Entry are currently $1,500 USD. Please keep in mind that these fees are subject to change and are only available for existing clients. First time clients with ITAs will need more assistance and require a different contract.

1. Government processing fees (after receiving ITA):
  • The current application fee is 550 CAD for the Principal Applicant, 550 CAD for the spouse or common-law partner, and 150 CAD per child.

• The right of landing fee is 490 CAD for the Principal Applicant and 490 CAD for a spouse or common-law partner

We encourage all of our clients to budget properly for the entire process and hope that they choose to retain us if or when they succeed in obtaining the ITA.

In terms of settlement funds the Canadian Government feels that if someone has money in a savings account, it will help them make a better transition to Canada.

In your case, given that you are a family of 3 people, you would be required to show at least $18,825 CAD in a savings account that is either under your name, or your spouse’s name, or a combination of both. Please note, the requirements for settlement funds are updated annually.

I hope the above information answers your question…

Sincerely,

Attorney at Law
(Canadian Immigration Law)"

To the author of this tread: What do you offer and require from drivers? What visa they will be require to apply for?

I haven’t read all the posts in this thread so before anyone starts … but my question is why do these Canadians firms need to advertise for drivers in the UK if the job over there is so good ■■? bit like the crap UK firms continually asking for drivers here isn’t it ■■

Dolph:
Interesting thread. I might help with some info regarding emigrating to Canada with Permanent residency via Provincial Nominee Program.
I don’t know if you can work trucking in Canada on work visa, my info is only for permanent residency. The whole process is expensive, long and with a lot of restrictions, for example EU licence is not recognized at all, you need everything from scratch.
In July(I think) 2017 Canada introduces mandatory truck driving school lessons in order to obtain CDL - this cost money;
renting a flat - deposit, rent in advance etc - a lot of money.
buying a car from day one - money
visas, tickets, food etc. Are you OK with several months when the temp does not go over -10C!
Also bear in mind that trucking in North America has NOTHING to do with UK and Europe in general - weather, traffic, length of trips, rules. You might be on the road for weeks and not see your family. Most of the people in this forum like to sleep in their beds every day, thats great, but forget it if you plan to go to Canada/US.

I will post the email an immigration lawyer I’ve contacted sent me last Monday, you make your conclusions. The information is for Permanent Residency in Saskatchewan for Long Haul trucking Provincial Nominee Program. I’ve deleted only my and the lawyer names.

"Thank you for your email.

Given that regulations, programs, and procedures are constantly evolving to fit Canada’s needs. No one can say with certainty what it will take to qualify a month or a year from now. Therefore, I would suggest that you contact my law firm again closer to the time you feel ready enough to proceed. At that time, I would be able to re-evaluate your options and provide you with the most up to date information.

However, to give you a rough idea of how the process works, I have gone ahead and provided you with the answers to your questions in the sections below. Of course, these figures are subject to change in the future.

Express Entry is two-part process. First, candidates who are eligible for one of Canada’s federal economic immigration programs submit a profile. Next, the highest-ranked candidates are drawn from the pool and issued Invitations to Apply (ITAs) for Canadian permanent residence. At the ITA stage, candidates have only 90 days submit a complete application for Canadian permanent residence.

At this time, you would be hiring our firm for the first (pre-ITA) part of the process. We try to keep our fees as low as possible and encourage clients to hire us for the part of the Express Entry process where they can immediately benefit from our assistance.

As soon as a client begins working with our firm under this Express Entry contract, we guide them with the collection of their documents and preparation of their profiles. Our service also involves helping our clients take steps to improve their ranking scores by providing clients with language resources, updates about Provincial Nominee Programs as well as Job Bank assistance and Job search resources. Our service also involves a review of clients’ supporting documents, test scores, and credential assessment(s).

Our goal is to assist our clients in submitting a strong and accurate profile, to help maximize our clients’ chance of receiving an ITA, and to put our clients in a position to react quickly if or when they receive an ITA. To date, most of our clients who have received ITAs have also chosen to continue working with our firm throughout the remainder of the application process.

When one of our clients obtains his or her ITA, he or she then has two choices:

1- Hire our law firm for the remainder of the process, under a new contract, so that we can guide him or her in accepting the ITA and submitting the documents we have reviewed in an application for permanent residence.

2- Not hire our firm, in which case our former clients may still benefit from and make use of the documentation we have reviewed. If a client chooses to stop working with our firm after receiving an ITA, we will have completed our mandate and he or she will no longer be provided with our guidance.

The fees for each part of the process are currently broken down as follows:

1. Express Entry and Job Bank profiles:

Our fees for our assisting you with the Express Entry and Job Bank profile are $1995 USD and are divided into two instalments. There are no government fees currently required to submit the Express Entry or Job Banks profiles.

1. Accepting an ITA:

Our law firm’s fees to pursue an application for Canadian permanent residence for candidates who receive an ITA under Express Entry are currently $1,500 USD. Please keep in mind that these fees are subject to change and are only available for existing clients. First time clients with ITAs will need more assistance and require a different contract.

1. Government processing fees (after receiving ITA):
  • The current application fee is 550 CAD for the Principal Applicant, 550 CAD for the spouse or common-law partner, and 150 CAD per child.

• The right of landing fee is 490 CAD for the Principal Applicant and 490 CAD for a spouse or common-law partner

We encourage all of our clients to budget properly for the entire process and hope that they choose to retain us if or when they succeed in obtaining the ITA.

In terms of settlement funds the Canadian Government feels that if someone has money in a savings account, it will help them make a better transition to Canada.

In your case, given that you are a family of 3 people, you would be required to show at least $18,825 CAD in a savings account that is either under your name, or your spouse’s name, or a combination of both. Please note, the requirements for settlement funds are updated annually.

I hope the above information answers your question…

Sincerely,

Attorney at Law
(Canadian Immigration Law)"

To the author of this tread: What do you offer and require from drivers? What visa they will be require to apply for?

Jesus H Christ read my previous post , do NOT use an immigration lawyer . period !!! The company employing you will probably sort most things , your flight will be be paid for , training and test paid with a loan deducted from your wages over an agreed time , you can even get your visa at port of entry although IMHO it’s worth getting it sorted beforehand for peace of mind . Do not use a lawyer , and do not fork out money up front , there is no need for either circumstance .

you don’t need an immigration lawyer!!! ,its not that difficult really,every province has its own rule but Manitoba and sask are among the easiest for uk folk, mind no real criminal record ,no dui …in MB ( a quick runthrough ) …job offer,your in,driving test , 6months in ask for letter from company apply for nomination by Manitoba (on internet MPNP)nb need to prove you speak.read write English by taking exam . when nominated by Manitoba send it all away again to federal CIC ,medical…then after say 9 -12 months ,permanent residency. , written exam for class1… air brake and class1 see mpi driver quizzes on test day pre trip exam,then if you pass that reverse then a couple o right /left junctions lights back in to centre > By law Company has to pay your flight in and out at end of temporary work permit ,make sure you get 2yr one . thought only Ontario was going the compulsory driver school training.

lol FTTM great minds think the same ,writing when ye posted bud/ :unamused: :unamused:

Its sounds very good on paper(internet forum) until SHTF. A lot of “ifs” and “but” in both of your comments. I can not drag my family half way across the world on ifs and buts, better safe then sorry. Thats just me, if someone is and adventurer by nature be my guest and try.
Why not use an immigration lawyer?

Dolph:
Its sounds very good on paper(internet forum) until SHTF. A lot of “ifs” and “but” in both of your comments. I can not drag my family half way across the world on ifs and buts, better safe then sorry. Thats just me, if someone is and adventurer by nature be my guest and try.
Why not use an immigration lawyer?

Because anybody can claim to be an Immigration Lawyer , it’s not a recognized qualification . I could submit an invoice to you right now for advice given as an immigration lawyer , they’re f**king parasites but the wary keep feeding them . I’m Mr Careful myself but after doing the homework , before forums etc , sold everything and dragged my young family halfway across the world . Sure it can go horribly wrong , just gotta make certain it doesn’t which is where you step up to the plate :wink:

JIMBO47:
lol FTTM great minds think the same ,writing when ye posted bud/ :unamused: :unamused:

We were introduced to one of the leeches back in 05 , wanted something like 5k off me for the paperwork , err no thanks .
Down in your neck of the woods tomorrow , 2 Hut colonies Austin and Cartwright , then empty out in Peg , hope to make it back to Portage in the evening . Go Riders :smiley:

Immigration lawyer is a waste of money that wont speed things up, the immigration website makes that clear. There is a load of paperwork to fill out with stuff like every address you’ve lived at since age 18, and more stuff like that BUT… even if you use a lawyer you still have to give him the answers to all the questions. If you have to prove your school results and maybe even prove you went to the school you say you did its you that has to get that proof for him to post it off for you.
There really is no point in paying out 5 or 8 grand on pr, you’ll find a better use for your cash.

And if you didn’t do your homework, got all excited about the long open road runs and ignored the cost on your family or social life it will be wasted money anyway as you’ll be on your way back long before youve got pr.

All the facts about what the job here really is are all out there, most of them are on this site, but learning from the experience of others isn’t easy for many people.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Big Truck:
Anybody wanting just to go over to USA for a temp trucking job 6-8months April/Nov Google:
“Custom Harvesters of America” and there’s usually a large amount of “Custom Cutters” looking truck drivers for grain harvest via the H2A temp work visa.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Hours? Money?

TiredAndEmotional:

Big Truck:
Anybody wanting just to go over to USA for a temp trucking job 6-8months April/Nov Google:
“Custom Harvesters of America” and there’s usually a large amount of “Custom Cutters” looking truck drivers for grain harvest via the H2A temp work visa.

Hours? Money?

Spending a bit of time looking on the net itd seem that huge wages for small hours are NOT the name of this game. Seasonal work where the cash reward is secondary to the experience gained and it seems to be an "in" to working in the US? Id think it may be good craick for a younger driver wanting an adventure, but not for a guy wanting a family/home life.
Its harvesting: starts when the sun burns the dew off the crop, and keeps on until the the morning mist starts descending! Start in the south in April, finish in the north in November. Days off when it rains! Cant see any mention on any of the sites I had a look at about pay…so that obviously isnt how theyre selling the jobs.

Another thing to consider about Canada is that if your spouse or any of your children has special needs of any sort, forget it. They once deported a family of seven after they’d set up a business in Canada because one of their children had a disability. If you get injured in Canada and suffer life-changing injuries, they’ll deport you as well.

JIMBO47:
another thing …if you pass your test in north Dakota or MN you can take the written test in Manitoba (after the big harvest of course) and convert licence ( one member on here did just this), iirc you know him Big truck. nb, if you get a company with an LMo and job offer in Canada.

[emoji106] [emoji108]

Franglais:

TiredAndEmotional:

Big Truck:

Hours? Money?

Spending a bit of time looking on the net itd seem that huge wages for small hours are NOT the name of this game. Seasonal work where the cash reward is secondary to the experience gained and it seems to be an "in" to working in the US? Id think it may be good craick for a younger driver wanting an adventure, but not for a guy wanting a family/home life.
Its harvesting: starts when the sun burns the dew off the crop, and keeps on until the the morning mist starts descending! Start in the south in April, finish in the north in November. Days off when it rains! Cant see any mention on any of the sites I had a look at about pay…so that obviously isnt how theyre selling the jobs.

100% on the money!!![emoji106]

A very rough guide to wages would be $4000USD/Month in bank but that would be good weather and crops that are ripe.
You don’t pay any taxes when working under a H2A temp harvest visa.

BTW,
I think under the regs if you go over on H2A and work 5xtimes you then qualify for an H2B which lets you perm settle in USA!!![emoji41]

Join on FB:
“UK HGV driving in America on H2A visa”
As fella running this page overthere now on harvest past 3yrs.

Wow - I just came back to have a look at this post and there’s some great responses with questions, concerns and general comments. I apologize as I thought this thing would send me emails when people posted, but ended up it didn’t, otherwise I would have responded sooner!

To address some of the questions and comments, I’ll be as transparent as possible and if there’s any clarity needed, feel free to drop me an email or DM - I can be reached at billh@agritel.ca

In regards to London Trip: We are heading over to the Canadian Embassy (I think that’s Trafalgar Square Area) November 6-10th, 2017. It’s kind of like a job fair, but we arrange one on ones and do most of the pre-screening before hand so that we don’t waste anyone’s time or ours. There’s going to be 4 or 5 other driving companies from Winnipeg so it might be worth the time to meet us and talk to one of the other companies while you’re there. (Better chance of finding the right company that fits what you’re looking for!) Last year we were in Vienna and hired approx. 20 guys.

In regards to what we look for driver wise: Our drivers are true long-haul guys. They are on the road for 20+ days, so it’s not the greatest for people with children. Our loads are reefer and dry van which is nice compared to doing flatdeck in Canada, as it can be pretty cold tying something down in minus 30 snow storms. Our runs are normally from California up to Calgary/Regina or Winnipeg - so it’s pretty scenic but you’ll definitely experience all 4 true seasons. We do allow spouses to be passengers for the trips which tends to work out pretty well.

In regards to pay: Our drivers made between $51,000 and $70,000 GROSS - last year. Avg paycheck after taxes (NET) is about $1500.00-$2000.00. Full benefits with Vision, Dental and health care (massage/chiro/etc…) Since pay is something that is important to everyone, I can go into better detail in 1on1 conversations if requested.

Why are we going to Europe if Canadian driving is so great?: North America as a whole has a huge driver deficit - approx. 40,000 drivers from the last report I read. By recruiting international drivers, we are able to get great experienced drivers and in return offer a chance to move somewhere and offer opportunities that might not be available in a person’s current environment.

Hopefully that helps a bit. Like I stated, I’d be happy answer any other questions as well as I can be contacted at billh@agritel.ca

Thanks for all the replies and interest!

IndigoJo:
Another thing to consider about Canada is that if your spouse or any of your children has special needs of any sort, forget it. They once deported a family of seven after they’d set up a business in Canada because one of their children had a disability. If you get injured in Canada and suffer life-changing injuries, they’ll deport you as well.

What an absolutely brilliant policy, hope Teresa is a tnuk member and puts the above into UK law, along with deporting all non-British by birth criminals…

agritelbill:
…Avg paycheck after taxes (NET) is about $1500.00-$2000.00…

Is that per week, fortnight, month…■■