Uk drivers beware

Hi Just thought id let people know so NO MORE PEOPLE have the heart ache and waste lots of money.
I Live and work in Ireland moved over here 20 years ago to work for a well known Irish transport firm met my Irish wife and have lived here ever since. What I am seeing more and more off latterly especially in this economic climate is UK based drivers coming over here for the so called glory of international work they phone Irish firms for jobs and without asking enough questions come over for interviews WITH NO CHANCE OF A JOB .Some come over as foot passengers but most come over in cars now for a car and driver its about £250 £300 Return from Holyhead to Dublin plus the fuel and grub with Irish ferries.With Stena about £170 with a car return if you go on a day trip pass we’ve had 4 UK based drivers come over last week for an interview but had no chance of a job as there weren’t any jobs Going they just came over had a chat interview sort of thing given a brew told to they will need an Irish bank account and a PPS Number to work in Ireland which is like the UK’S National insurance Number promised the world and never heard off again some were maybe just kept on file for when were desperate as over here we have to many drivers and not enough jobs. We had a young lad last week from Kent I GAVE HIM A LIFT BACK TO THE BUS STOP he said he wanted Euro work. So he got the train to Holyhead which cost him over a £150 return then the ferry £70 foot passenger and then the bus Eireaan to near our yard which cost him £10 he had a interview told about the so called job filled in a an application form then sent on his way back to Kent .I felt so sorry for him as he left with a smile on his face thinking he had a chance but we have excess drivers over here. I asked the boss if he was ok and was told yeah but we have got to many drivers that’s why his applications in the bin. SO PLEASE BEWARE ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS AND BECAREFUL

Well said that man, i was told same about pps number and addresse when i enquired as i asked these questions before going any further.
You,ve got to ask yourself why the locals wont work for these outfits its either poor wages or running bent excessive hours.
People keep saying go over you,ll get a start but these people have probably never done it.

you will get a job over here no probs especially in the north …run bent,trip money,if your prepared to do uk trip moneywork,then happy days,as nobody wants it over here. the fact that your on a irish plated truck in n.i or on a paddy plate,just means that you will still be on 1st name terms with every vosa operator and traffic plod en route to and from the ferries,(which is why lots of n.i trucks are on english plates) all the A75 entrapment stuff is true with 24/7 slaughtering from every ferry queue,all the familier named operators have had so much grief with vosa crawling over them,that theres a semblence of working legal… 2 trips a week in 6 days for pish money,or 3 trips on the wire.the newstarts and dweebs run legal to take the bad look off of things,and the rest just use their initiative for good wages.(no sleep,but good wages),so theres plenty of work if you want,but not if you think your running like a herbert.the south is much the same if your not a jobsworth and can hack it .why would you come from england for 1 job interview anyway? the place is crawling with truckies,so by the same logic would you not keep driving till someone flung you into a hooked up scania and told you that your late for the boat? ( thats what the taliban do as its too far to drive home to latvia)jobs here are 10 a penny unless you think your going to be working for an irish tesco doing continental work. normal dung wages here are 70 per full card day for local work,if your working for the hooligans local then your lucky to be getting 400 a week,most likely less. thats whats expected here as most are just busy poor men… the rates are so depressed all they can keep cutting is the drivers wages… 5 years ago i was doing every day the same trip…east kilbride to stranrer,over on the ferry.1 or 2 drops,load,plus possibly run across the border to fuel,then back to belfast,back on ferry,then stranraer back to east kilbride. you got grubbed up on the ferry anyway,and 90 per day for doing the trip. it was possible to have a 9 hour break if you pulled our card at factory gates etc,if not,or you were delayed,then tough ■■■■■,no cards.the job was a doddle but you were flat out driving.i only stopped doing it because i put on 1 stone in 6 months as we all ate like pigs on the ferry twice a day…today,they are doing the same trip for 80 and thats good money for some. no doubt theres plenty of work in the uk if you want to work for no wages as well,the difference being,nobody over here wants to drive in england at all due to the grief that will duly follow that isnt here across this side.in ireland north and south there are with few exceptions,virtually no speed cameras. theres a couple around,but theve been here for years and hardly ever active.2 average sets in north,and 4 or 5 fixed for the entire country. no congestion at all compared to uk apart from a bit in dublin and the occasional flock of sheep in donegal… :smiley:

Ok THANK YOU FOR YOUR INSIGHT INTO YOUR SPECIAL WORLD YOU MAKE ME so PROUD TO BE ON THE SAME ISLAND AS YOU. I still haven’t got a clue of what you’re trying to say apart from that it’s all bent up north as you so eloquently put it. And if you run bent you’re a hero but if you run clean you a dweeb YOUR WORDS NOT MINE. And your point being after that rant (off I went to stranraer and back to east Kilbride and I got grub on the ferry and the we have no speed cameras and then there was sheep and then I put a stone on in a month). what the hell now I know why we call it the black north as you have clearly explained how bent it’s all run. Like I said UK drivers beware ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS AND I HOPE THE RSA AND VOSA DONT READ YOUR POST. And just to answer your question of why would you come over for one job INTERVIEW (DUH) PERHAPS ITS BECAUSE YOU NEED A JOB OR WANT THE JOB SIMPLES (DUH)

imax76:
Ok THANK YOU FOR YOUR INSIGHT INTO YOUR SPECIAL WORLD YOU MAKE ME so PROUD TO BE ON THE SAME ISLAND AS YOU. I still haven’t got a clue of what you’re trying to say apart from that it’s all bent up north as you so eloquently put it. And if you run bent you’re a hero but if you run clean you a dweeb YOUR WORDS NOT MINE. And your point being after that rant (off I went to stranraer and back to east Kilbride and I got grub on the ferry and the we have no speed cameras and then there was sheep and then I put a stone on in a month). what the hell now I know why we call it the black north as you have clearly explained how bent it’s all run. Like I said UK drivers beware ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS AND I HOPE THE RSA AND VOSA DONT READ YOUR POST. And just to answer your question of why would you come over for one job INTERVIEW (DUH) PERHAPS ITS BECAUSE YOU NEED A JOB OR WANT THE JOB SIMPLES (DUH)

It’s known as the black North because of it’s majority protestant population you clown. :unamused:

'’peter s Wrote::
It’s known as the black North because of it’s majority protestant population you clown. :unamused:

''imax76 replied::
Thank You Dear Sir for Intellectual reply I am so glad that you have cleared that up :unamused: We all feel so much better now. :unamused: if you want me to send you instructions on how to wipe your bum I would only be to happy to assist you sir. :laughing: I hope this helps you its called sarcasm (Neither irony or sarcasm is argument. its just a plain joke. :laughing: 100,000 sperm and you were the fastest? :blush:

I’m not so good with the advice… Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?

“The problem with common sense is that most people are morons.”

“Sarcasm: A literary device for identifying the stupid.”

“Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.”

ANY way just ask lots of questions and make sure there’s a job there

imax76:
'’peter s Wrote::

''imax76 replied::
Thank You Dear Sir for Intellectual reply I am so glad that you have cleared that up :unamused: We all feel so much better now. :unamused: if you want me to send you instructions on how to wipe your bum I would only be to happy to assist you sir. :laughing: I hope this helps you its called sarcasm (Neither irony or sarcasm is argument. its just a plain joke. :laughing: 100,000 sperm and you were the fastest? :blush:

I’m not so good with the advice… Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?

“The problem with common sense is that most people are morons.”

“Sarcasm: A literary device for identifying the stupid.”

“Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.”

:smiley:

well duh…possibly you might think it prudent,that if you went to the expence,time,trouble,travelling etc,that if you came over from the uk to ireland north or south,then it wouldnt be rocket science to shop around the doors once your over here,and go on the knock to see whats on offer??..(all your eggs in 1 basket)…its not my fault that its the land time forgot over here…apart from the few biggies that run legal,then bent is the rule,to a minor,or major degree… theres some herberts that like to run legal,and then theres the rest who dont. the north is the uk and prodestant majority,and the south is a foriegn country with catholic majority.what i posted was extremely accurate,and just the way things are over here.mostly its like running uk in the 80s untill you get off the ferry back in the uk. some thrive on the greif dodging vosa and the a75 racetrack,and some just wouldnt do uk work for a pension. the uk is a overpopulated dying country for various reasons,over here is going the same way,only about 30 years behind…in my humple opinion,if you get to the back of a tesco(or equivelant) twaddler and your 1st thought is…oooooooo ffs here we go again !!! and you start gobbing off to yourself or your teddy bear then your a hero,it all depends on the degree.if your a commited jobsworth,then your a prime example of why the british car industry and britain as a whole is now defunct and down the drain.if you dont like working somewhere,then work somewhere else,why stay and moan about it.we all know the armchair viking stories and waffle when your stuck in the drivers waiting rooms,mostly from the jobsworth brigade.if you want a job over here north or south as a cowboy,then just sit in your house,get on the phone,when you ask is there any jobs going,then the 1st one whos 1st question to you is,when can you go out?..then thats the one to go for.if you can be based at birkenhead/holyhead/stranraer etc,then you will def get dragged over to start.the jobs here are 10 a penny simple as that.the wages are generally crap,you wont get a good job with a good company,same as anywhere uk,but you can get a start easily enough unless your naieve enough to think that someone is going to give you a £150 grands worth of kit for you to head into the sunset with,(actually some of them will if you ask nicely)…and seeing as how someone gobbed off about the black north ( who is obviously a catholic to have such biased views) then i always have to ask myself the following question based on why live next to an airport if you complain about the planes…if your a religeously bigoted catholic who takes umbrage at living in northern ireland (uk) prodestant majority,under her majestys soveriegn rule and surrounde by proddys…then why torture yourself living there,why not live in the south with the paddys and be happy…works fine for me? if anyones in any doubt to the validity of my observations,then try driving at the legal limit at the head of any ferry traffic.and dont you notice its always the irish trucks that take your elbows off when your on the limiter as they pass you?..(sits back and waits for the inevitable )… :sunglasses:

I’d agree with the comment about knocking on doors over here if you do come over. Why not?
The rates quoted are a bit low although if trip money is offered, it’s normally not good. You won’t get paid by the hour and day rate varies from 100 to 120 per day.
Due to the fact that there is a 4 hour ferry between Ireland and uk, your first and last card will always be full. It’s the nature of the beast.
The reason trip money doesn’t work for Irish drivers is because they end up sitting in the uk waiting for a load across to Ireland to get them home. Loads that aren’t very plentiful. If willing to work from a uk port, it would probably be better.
There are no jobs here for jobsworths. Spending 3 hours on other work on a bay and going outside the gate and taking a 45 won’t be acceptable. The rates not in the job for that carry on.
There is work here, just not as much. The Irish have a habit of saying call in for a chat if you phone about a job. That’s fine if you live next door but not if your travelling from a distance.
The majority of the work, tacho wise is legal. Speed limit might be higher but you don’t have to drive flat out, that’s a driver working illegally, not the company. And since the new tachos came around, no one has much choice anyway.

So back to the original post, take the warning, organise a good few interviews before you come over and even cold call some of them if you really want work. Don’t expect the world. But it’s not all doom and gloom here. Lots of happy Irish international drivers.

Anyone who needs to come over from uk can us sail and rail for about 35 stirling each way. Foot passenger .that lad from Kent was robbed …check out irish ferries or stenna sites .

“Living the dream” has a lot to answer for. Same brain dead truck loving morons fall for all the adverts. Don’t see many ads for Canada nowadays do you…no…because everybody has sussed that it really isn’t all wet pants and rubber ducks.

kitbuilder123:
I’d agree with the comment about knocking on doors over here if you do come over. Why not?
The rates quoted are a bit low although if trip money is offered, it’s normally not good. You won’t get paid by the hour and day rate varies from 100 to 120 per day.
Due to the fact that there is a 4 hour ferry between Ireland and uk, your first and last card will always be full. It’s the nature of the beast.
The reason trip money doesn’t work for Irish drivers is because they end up sitting in the uk waiting for a load across to Ireland to get them home. Loads that aren’t very plentiful. If willing to work from a uk port, it would probably be better.
There are no jobs here for jobsworths. Spending 3 hours on other work on a bay and going outside the gate and taking a 45 won’t be acceptable. The rates not in the job for that carry on.
There is work here, just not as much. The Irish have a habit of saying call in for a chat if you phone about a job. That’s fine if you live next door but not if your travelling from a distance.
The majority of the work, tacho wise is legal. Speed limit might be higher but you don’t have to drive flat out, that’s a driver working illegally, not the company. And since the new tachos came around, no one has much choice anyway.

So back to the original post, take the warning, organise a good few interviews before you come over and even cold call some of them if you really want work. Don’t expect the world. But it’s not all doom and gloom here. Lots of happy Irish international drivers.

well said young man,remember your quoting in euro,and im quoting in sterling,so works out somewhat similar…nice quote…there are no jobs over here for jobsworths…the limiters are generally set well above the 90k,and then if you cant wangle working off a paper card and a blown fuse,then the magnets the last resort.other than that,the trip money rates are dung .sticking your digicard into the freezer isnt reliable,neither is taping it between 2 mobiles and sending a few calls/msgs ,all been tried with varying degrees of success(and failure),no card inserted and a magnet is the best out of a bad lot.look at all the scanias,and volvos getting returned for faulty gearbox transducers under warranty,food for thought?,or famous last words…i know it looks bad officer,but i always keep a magnet on a bit of string in my pocket in case i drop my keys down another drain…or has anyone else got a better excuse??

Good grief is it really still like that away from the big companies? Genuine question. I thought those days had long gone. Clearly not. If anyone got caught using the magnet where I work it would be the sack, or tampering with the limiter (all set 85kmh-90) Ive never actually used a magnet. Ive run as bent as anyone in my time but times changed and when you see drivers getting prison sentences in the UK for using the magnet you have to realise that no job is worth prison.

You say the UK is a dying country, its not though is it. Fastest growing economy of the developed nations, we build more cars than we ever have and you know what these jobsworth drivers take home more than me, for less hours and there are more jobs resulting from the fact everyone does less hours. Drivers in the UK just realised that running bent serves one person, the boss, and any thing goes wrong you’re out on you ear.

As for anyone looking if you want a legal job try the bigger chaps. Dixon, Maguire, Caffrey, Virginia etc

Luke to all intents and purposes the big firms in the north do run straight but then you need to ask why do they have so many subbies? Answer to do the work that can’t be done subby for any of the big firms and you will be run ragged

bossman:
Anyone who needs to come over from uk can us sail and rail for about 35 sterling each way. Foot passenger .that lad from Kent was :laughing: robbed. Check out Irish ferries or Stena sites.

You must be living in day dream or on drugs OR just a plain EEJIT £35 rail sail from Kent to Ireland ha-ha and then bus eireann to your destination in Ireland. (If I was as stupid as you I Would Find a swimming pool and a lead weight) :laughing:
Rail sail operates in zones ABCDE.A being the closest to the port E being on the furthest edges of the rail sail scheme Kent I am afraid bossboy is not in there rail sail scheme area so you have to pay a full price train fair to get to the areas that do the rail sail scheme. But because I am clever I phoned Stena line and the price on their website are a guide price only quoted £152 Return to Dublin/Dun Laoghaire foo passenger. THAT’S A BIT DIFFERENT TO YOUR £35 STERLING ISNT IT.
And as for the poor English man being robbed BY THE PRICE OF HIS TICKET TO GET TO IRELAND I Reckon you’ve been Robbed, Robbed of a brain

Sarcasm, Just another service I offer. What do you offer? Stupidity?

If Zombies eat brains. I think you’re safe.

If Barbie had brains she could drive, ride horses, swim, walk and talk, remind me what you can do again.

Being hated and ignored by many, makes my life a lot easier to handle.

Hmmm. Things could well be different now,but I did a job to Felixstowe about 3yrs ago(export lorry). Train back to N Wales, the boss gave me £30 for the train fare home and told me to ask for a ticket to Dublin.Guess what…it worked!!!.Couple of tube transfers in London on top though.

Stilk does work 35 was the last one I got from leeds it was a point in a direction to look at .thats all not a price quote .
had one from milton keynes as well for around the same .or a flight over not much more .to dublin

imax76:
[You must be living in day dream or on drugs OR just a plain EEJIT £35 rail sail from Kent to Ireland ha-ha and then bus eireann to your destination in Ireland. (If I was as stupid as you I Would Find a swimming pool and a lead weight) :laughing:
Rail sail operates in zones ABCDE.A being the closest to the port E being on the furthest edges of the rail sail scheme Kent I am afraid bossboy is not in there rail sail scheme area so you have to pay a full price train fair to get to the areas that do the rail sail scheme. But because I am clever I phoned Stena line and the price on their website are a guide price only quoted £152 Return to Dublin/Dun Laoghaire foo passenger. THAT’S A BIT DIFFERENT TO YOUR £35 STERLING ISNT IT.
And as for the poor English man being robbed BY THE PRICE OF HIS TICKET TO GET TO IRELAND I Reckon you’ve been Robbed, Robbed of a brain

Sarcasm, Just another service I offer. What do you offer? Stupidity?

If Zombies eat brains. I think you’re safe.

If Barbie had brains she could drive, ride horses, swim, walk and talk, remind me what you can do again.

Being hated and ignored by many, makes my life a lot easier to handle.

It is you who is the idiot, Kent is in zone ‘e’ and can be booked for as little as £38 each way.

stenaline.co.uk/ferries-to-ireland/rail-sail

My eyes are bleeding, paragraphs for competition ranting please.