UK domestic drivers’ hours rules

Hi all. Not been on for a while, been preparing for theory on 22nd.

I do have one question though…

…If O licence and tacho excempt, do I still have to keep written records of hours worked?

There is plenty of info around of what records to keep but nothing to say what records should be kept, if any, if excempt. I have asked a few drivers where I live but all have different views.

May I suggest asking HERE :bulb: :bulb:

VolvoFire:
Hi all. Not been on for a while, been preparing for theory on 22nd.

I do have one question though…

…If O licence and tacho excempt, do I still have to keep written records of hours worked?

There is plenty of info around of what records to keep but nothing to say what records should be kept, if any, if excempt. I have asked a few drivers where I live but all have different views.

As far as I’m aware, if the vehicle is exempt from any tachograph regulations you don’t need to make or keep drivers hours records, but depending on what situation you’re referring to you may still need to keep records of worked hours to comply with the WTD.

Sorry about the vague reply, but it may help if you were to give more information on the situation you’re referring to.

According to Croners -

Exempt from having to keep written records are:

a. drivers operating tachographs

b. drivers operating under the British Domestic Rules, ie the Transport Act 1968 in the following circumstances:

i. part-time driving, ie driving for not more than 4 hours on any working day and not going outside in a radius of 50km from the operating centre

ii. driving goods vehicles not requiring an ‘O’ licence (this does not applyto vehicles of the Crown which would normally require an ‘O’ licence had they not been Crown property)

hope that helps