Uber drivers are workers not self-employed

Can there be…

Any more appeals left?

bbc.co.uk/news/business-56123668

Think that will have wide reaching implications in our industry.

adam277:

If it isn’t…

Appealed again, it’s a very large chrome vanadium spanner into the machinery indeed.

yourhavingalarf:

adam277:

If it isn’t…

Appealed again, it’s a very large chrome vanadium spanner into the machinery indeed.

The likes of Amazon, Yodel, Hermes and all the others that employ “self-employed” van drivers will be very worried right now.

I remember talking to one van driver for a parcel company. He had to livery up his own van. Wasnt allowed to use his own van to work for other freight companies (because his van had their logo on it). And if he took a day off sick he had to pay the parcel firm to cover his shift.
But he is self employed… honest. :laughing:

adam277:

yourhavingalarf:

adam277:

If it isn’t…

The likes of Amazon, Yodel, Hermes and all the others that employ “self-employed” van drivers will be very worried right now.

I remember talking to one van driver for a parcel company. He had to livery up his own van. Wasnt allowed to use his own van to work for other freight companies (because his van had their logo on it). And if he took a day off sick he had to pay the parcel firm to cover his shift.

Much like the aggregate companies, a bloke with a tipper or cement mixer working for Tarmac, Readymix, Pioneer etc

yourhavingalarf:

adam277:

If it isn’t…

Who are they going to appeal to? A court with greater authority than the UK Supreme Court? bye bye Uber, turn the light off as you leave and shut the door behind you.

cav551:
Who are they going to appeal to?

I dunno mate…

Just seems to be endless appeal after appeal in this country.

Self employed drivers want all the tax perks of being self employed but all the perks of being an employee.

I hope the government has been watching the case carefully. Now the case has proven they’re not classed as self employed they’re not entitled to any of the SEISS money they’ve had from the government as that’s to support self employed people during the covid crisis so they should be forced to repay it.

Conor:
Self employed drivers want all the tax perks of being self employed but all the perks of being an employee.

I hope the government has been watching the case carefully. Now the case has proven they’re not classed as self employed they’re not entitled to any of the SEISS money they’ve had from the government as that’s to support self employed people during the covid crisis so they should be forced to repay it.

SEISS ■■■■■ though. For self employed drivers.
It’s based on your profits.
I’ve yet to meet a driver that makes a profit lol they are usually too busy looking for extra fuel receipts to write off any profit.
Or if they buy a car/van they might write a dodgy receipt.
Most never make a profit lol. Which is hilarious as they stuffed themselves.

You’d think HMRC would get a little sus when some go years with barely making breaking even.

It’s very easy for Uber to just ignore this Supreme Court ruling until more tribunals come for the remaining 40,000 drivers…unless HMRC gives Uber a £1billion bill for the 20% VAT that hasn’t been paid.

adam277:

yourhavingalarf:

adam277:

If it isn’t…

Even better you’re not allowed to say I’m only doing 30 or 40 drops absolute max in a shift.If you want to put more than that on ‘my’ vehicle then I’m going nowhere I’m going home.
As opposed to you will have to do 100 drops if we tell you to.
Realistically without the right to choose to take on a job or refuse it and set your own workload then it’s obviously something else.Surprised that the IR hasn’t jumped on it.

Wheel Nut:

adam277:

yourhavingalarf:

adam277:

If it isn’t…

Much like the aggregate companies, a bloke with a tipper or cement mixer working for Tarmac, Readymix, Pioneer etc

Or a dedicated subby for a container haulage firm for example.Don’t think there’s any argument if the truck is registered and operated by the driver with his own O licence.But still think not having the right to turn down a load or a shift is possibly a deal breaker.

carlston49:
unless HMRC gives Uber a £1billion bill for the 20% VAT that hasn’t been paid.

Or possibly any arguable unpaid PAYE and NI contributions ?.

the recent ruling on the appeal by Uber (Re: Uber drivers are workers not self-employed) has concequences for external transport managers.

Half of the population don’t realise that firms like Uber are a death knell to workers terms and conditions but people use them because it’s trendy and on an APP,
I even here certain generations call taxis “Uber’s” in general now.
The taxi drivers in my city held a protest about Uber getting a licence.
Uber,deliveroo,amazon all the parcel firms all offer rubbish terms for self employed when they should be buying vechicles and employing staff on contracts.
Went to my local McDonald’s for a coffee and it was full of foreign guys waiting to deliver for Uber eats and deliveroo etc,is this what we have become relying on workers from the gig economy to delivery junk food to us…
Also Iv delivered to a large clothing warehouse recently and 3 coaches pulled up full of foreign workers,they got counted off and the jumped up manger said “hang on too many for today” so sent around 20 of them away after the poor sods had got up to go to work.
It needs to stop

yorkshire terrier:
Half of the population don’t realise that firms like Uber are a death knell to workers terms and conditions but people use them because it’s trendy and on an APP,
I even here certain generations call taxis “Uber’s” in general now.
The taxi drivers in my city held a protest about Uber getting a licence.
Uber,deliveroo,amazon all the parcel firms all offer rubbish terms for self employed when they should be buying vechicles and employing staff on contracts.
Went to my local McDonald’s for a coffee and it was full of foreign guys waiting to deliver for Uber eats and deliveroo etc,is this what we have become relying on workers from the gig economy to delivery junk food to us…
Also Iv delivered to a large clothing warehouse recently and 3 coaches pulled up full of foreign workers,they got counted off and the jumped up manger said “hang on too many for today” so sent around 20 of them away after the poor sods had got up to go to work.
It needs to stop

The issue is the politicans dont see it.
If anyone worked around Dageham in the last few years they would of seen the coach loads of romanians being dropped off near Ripple Road / River Road.
Or the at times DOZENS of Eastern European just waiting outside Wickes in Dagenham waiting for someone to offer them work. (Even shows them on google maps).
Politicans didnt think this was an issue. They honestly think that anyone who mentions this is just racist.

Now, I am not against immigration. Anyone with half a brain knows we need it. But for skilled work like that of a builder. Or a Taxi driver should we be relying on immigrants?
I’m all for skilled immigrants in the NHS and in teaching. In fact I have a very relaxed position on immigration. But from my experience when your getting cheap immigration for the likes of warehouse work… It’s not good.
Now, I know some people will argue oh UK people wont do the work. I think this is nonsense citing fruit picking. Nonsense. In other countries, there are usually huge campaigns for seasonal fruit picking. We dont get that here. We just outsource because it is easier.

We need immigrants.
I am not for isolationism. We just need to control immigration.
Why were jobs like HGV driving in the UK only advertised in Romania? I know this did happen. Other countries have rules against this. Same with benefits, they are far too generous to immigrants compared to other countries.