U OK Harry?

Tax disc? I thought they’d been abolished :smiley:

yes the disc has been done away with to save money, the govt admin fees.,but mr monk is not aware of this fact so has spent his own money to buy one anyway :smiley:

Mr Plod would be chuffed to read that on the tax disc, just before he gives your tyres a good look at :slight_smile:

Older trucks you could get them going with a hit of a hammer, or tie it with rope to limp you back to the ferry port.
I met many employed drivers that would fix wheel bearings, gearboxes and clutches at the side of the road.
Some would ship out with spare parts just in case.
Modern trucks are now a call out for a man in a van to hook up a diagnostic computer to see why it brokedown.
Anyone remember Dave Brooker breaking down l over Portugal.

Harry - If you had the air drier replaced that’s normally a sign of compressor trouble. :frowning:

neversweat1:
Harry - If you had the air drier replaced that’s normally a sign of compressor trouble. :frowning:

Don’t spoil his Christmas mate! :smiley: :laughing:
Just remembered why I don’t miss having my own motors :sunglasses:

neversweat1:

Thanks as ever Steve, I was wondering if the compressor might be on its way out. I was presuming the dealer would test the compressor output for moisture as a matter of course?

I know the old girl is getting very tired, she’s served me well but she’s six years old now and has 830,000km on the clock, I’m hoping I can nurse her along for another five months until the finance deal ends and then I’ll probably park her up and save her for restoration while I go off on my narrowboat, I’m sure Renault Magnums are destined to be a future classic truck.

If I did ever run another truck, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another Renault.

I think you’re right there, about a future classic.
There is something a bit special about the Magnum.

toby1234abc:
Older trucks you could get them going with a hit of a hammer, or tie it with rope to limp you back to the ferry port.
I met many employed drivers that would fix wheel bearings, gearboxes and clutches at the side of the road.
Some would ship out with spare parts just in case.
Modern trucks are now a call out for a man in a van to hook up a diagnostic computer to see why it brokedown.
Anyone remember Dave Brooker breaking down l over Portugal.

I always carry a spare engine when I ship out at Woolwich you never know what you might need it

kr79:
I always carry a spare engine when I ship out at Woolwich you never know what you might need it

The most important thing to do when you ship out at Woolwich is to point your fellow trucker in the direction of the duty-free shop. :smiley:

Harry Monk:

neversweat1:

Thanks as ever Steve, I was wondering if the compressor might be on its way out. I was presuming the dealer would test the compressor output for moisture as a matter of course?

I know the old girl is getting very tired, she’s served me well but she’s six years old now and has 830,000km on the clock, I’m hoping I can nurse her along for another five months until the finance deal ends and then I’ll probably park her up and save her for restoration while I go off on my narrowboat, I’m sure Renault Magnums are destined to be a future classic truck.

If I did ever run another truck, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another Renault.

That’s got the 12 litre Volvo lump hasn’t it Harry? It should have plenty of life left in it yet at that mileage. Does it burn much oil?

To be honest Harry I’m surprised they didn’t say anything :question: Our old friend carbon build up is the normal cause of air dryer failure. The official fix at that sort of mileage is new compressor and air drier then there is a “cleaner” that via a special tool is put into the compressor pipes from the compressor to the air drier. This is then rinsed out and the compressor flexible pipe changed as the cleaner rots the inner coating of it and you end up with a drier full of bits otherwise. There is an extra filter that goes inside the drier as well. I’ve found changing the filter and the silencer together at the time specified on the maintenance schedule does limit failure even on higher mileage one.

Steve

Harry Monk:

kr79:

The most important thing to do when you ship out at Woolwich is to point your fellow trucker in the direction of the duty-free shop. :smiley:

The last time I was on it I spent most of the journey explaining to an as a in gentleman that if my lorry had rolled in to him he would have been in the water and if he wants to take it further my dash cam will show him roll back in to me and that there’s not six people with whiplash in his car.