Tyres - Your opinions please

Just a couple of quick questions from a new(ish) owner operator if I may?

I will shortly be replacing my drive tyres on an MAN tractor unit and have been offered some ‘bandag’ tyres. First of all what does the actual process of ‘bandagging’ a tyre involve? They are a fair bit cheaper than buying first life tyres and I was just wondering what the pro’s and con’s are of ‘bandagging’ tyres and your experiences of using them. I am on a bulk tipper so as you can imagine it can be fairly rough work with alot of screwing and manouvering around farmyards/tight spaces etc. Is there anyone on here that runs a bulk tipper and uses/has used ‘bandag’ tyres before?

Also I have been offered some Semperit (right spelling?) drive tyres by a friend of a friend who breaks wagons for export. They have come off a car transporter which he has taken in and are first lifers and also nearly brand new. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this make of tyre?

Cheers,
Matt

xfmatt:
Just a couple of quick questions from a new(ish) owner operator if I may?

I will shortly be replacing my drive tyres on an MAN tractor unit and have been offered some ‘bandag’ tyres. First of all what does the actual process of ‘bandagging’ a tyre involve?

it’s not a process, it’s a brand :wink:

bridgestoneretread.co.uk/brands/bandag/

Denis F:

Oh well I guess I know how to make myself look stupid! I was reading another thread on here a couple of weeks ago and someone mentioned they had some tyres ‘bandagged’ so thought it must be a process they go through! Any experience of them?

xfmatt:

Denis F:

Oh well I guess I know how to make myself look stupid! I was reading another thread on here a couple of weeks ago and someone mentioned they had some tyres ‘bandagged’ so thought it must be a process they go through! Any experience of them?

no experience with bandag, but have used remoulds on drive and lift axles before. ( without any problems )

When I can persuade my employer to buy them, I use Hankook tyres.
They wear well, I saw 350,000 km out of a set of drive axle tyres and when I had a new Goodyear on one side
of the front axle and a Hankook on the other, the Hankook did another 100,000km after the Goodyear was worn out.

We also used remoulds on some of the other lorries’ drive axles and were lucky to see 200,000 km out of them.

Regards,
Nick

BANDAG = remoulds, they will be a fair bit chaper as they have been used before and re-caps have been bonded on, how many times this process has been done you will not know if the original casings wern’t your’s
remoulds can and often do more miles than the original tread but they can and do blow off!! this is where the casing history comes in!
if i was you i would fit first life tyres every time on a unit
never run semprit’s myself so cant advise in wear rate, but if they are the right money give em a go
moose

Hi for what its worth we have them fitted and bandvulc fitted on are tippers and grabs. They have never given us any problems and hold up well to the punishment there put through. Totally pointless fitting new premium tyres they tend to get to badly damaged before they wear out. Guess thats the problem or having total animals driving our motors

As said previously Bandags are a top cap that just covers the tread area as opposed to a bead to bead remould that covers the sidewalls as well.I have used them a few years ago with success on local tipper work. i think the casings are x rayed before they are processed so they should be ok. You have to watch the sidewalls as they are on a 2nd or 3rd life. On a quality casing they do last well as the cap tends to be pretty hard.

I used bandags on the drive of a couple skip wagons I owned, if you happen on good cases (Mich back then) then you won’t have a problem with them, cases are x-rayed and I was told that no sidewall damaged cases were allowed to be processed, if I were buying I would opt for premium new tyres if it is not doing scrap or tip work but in your case I think I would go new for a middle of the road tyre, as for the Semperits, well if the price is right I would go for them.

Newmercman will be along soon to advise you he has a secret rubber fetish :slight_smile: :smiley: :smiley:

kr79:
Newmercman will be along soon to advise you he has a secret rubber fetish :slight_smile: :smiley: :smiley:

It’s not a secret :wink:

Thank you for all the replies. I’ve bought the semperit tyres and he’s chucking the rims in with the price so I’ll have 4 spare rims for the drives now. I’ll see how I get on with them and report my findings on here. Cheers.

Well done on the Semperits, the short time they’ve had on car transporter work will have been easy, handy having spare rims, when the odd couple come up cheap get them built up for instant changeovers.

The real Bandag remoulds my boss of the time decided to save lots of money and started putting them on our rolonoff double drive axles, i don’t think half of them reached the point of wearing down before exploding spectacularly taking lights mudwings etc with them as they flailed round, they were bloody useless.

shuttlespanker:

kr79:

It’s not a secret :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Semperit are a good tyre - Semperit are owned by Continetal along with Uniroyal and Barum. They are all good brands with no difference in them bar price and often avaliblity.