Tyres whos the cheapest

just had our issuzu 7.5 tonner in for its six weekly check examiner stated that three of the four tyres on the rear axle were marginal for tread and would need replacing before next check informed the boss who asked me to find somewhere cheaper than our usual supplier £330 for the other rear tyre a month ago .
can anyone point me in the direction of good cheap tyre supplier in the northwest of england ?

Can they not be re cut?

Karl86:
Can they not be re cut?

dont complicate things its hard enough to get him to do this mention re cutting and you would confuse him even more

Try our yard, ask for Bob in the tyre bay

nortonsservices.co.uk/tyres.html

Latique:
just had our issuzu 7.5 tonner in for its six weekly check examiner stated that three of the four tyres on the rear axle were marginal for tread and would need replacing before next check informed the boss who asked me to find somewhere cheaper than our usual supplier £330 for the other rear tyre a month ago .
can anyone point me in the direction of good cheap tyre supplier in the northwest of england ?

Is that a typo… £330 for a tyre on a 7.5 tonner?!

GCR2ERF:

Latique:

Is that a typo… £330 for a tyre on a 7.5 tonner?!

thats what our manager is telling us it cost includes call out fee due to large nail in side wall

Whats your priority up front cost, or costs over the life of the tyre? what appears cheap up front can actually end up far more expensive, I personally would be a bit concerned over any transport operation that didn’t look at the full cost and decided to buy a tyre on the simple initial price tag.

£330 sounds steep it depends what work your doing if your prone to punctures our tend to not look after your tyres stick cheap ones on if you spend all day on the motorway rarely venture off road stick a decent brand on pay the extra and it will last longer and may even give you better mpg. We use tyreworx not sure if there national I think they are there reasonable, ive seen ats mentioned on here before too,it’s like anything though you get to know them well you get looked after. If your tm can’t be bothered to find this out himself or even think about re cutting them to get a bit more off his monies worth I feel sorry for you, you must have a long day putting up with one like him lol.

Why is he asking you to find a better price?..Isn’t that his job? What do you put your tacho on for phoning around? Other work I hope.

BillyMac:
Why is he asking you to find a better price?..Isn’t that his job? What do you put your tacho on for phoning around? Other work I hope.

because he is to lazy/stupid to do it himself hes ■■■■ hot at sales /admin but crap at anything to do with the vehicles so tends to push it onto the drivers & karl86 we do as he is hard work stood and watched us unloading 120 25ltr drums in the mid afternoon heat and never lifted a finger to help just insisted we wear long sleeves as its hazardous goods we were sweating like stuart hall at childrens its a knockout after 10 seconds . but he just stood there with a big daft grin on his face .
hasnt got a clue re the vehicles but hes the boss and what he says goes

I moan about my boss alot but when were getting dirty so is he so maybe I should think myself lucky by the sounds off it lol.

You know my company dont buy tyres they rent them, how bizarre is that. Wonder how much it costs compared to buying? They buy all their fleet outright but rent the tyres :laughing: :laughing:

Just ring ATS? I’d want to put the same brand on the other 3 wheels as is on the recently replaced one but that’s just my OCD.

Just type tyre dealers in to yellow pages and off you pop.

just put 2 hankook tyres on my 7.5 £155.each but thats in south wales

Latique:

Does he have a CPC qualification?

Driveroneuk:

Latique:

Does he have a CPC qualification?

no he hasnt he was supposed to as part of taking me on full time after a 16 week trial but has now deferred it to another member of staff
on a good note quote from norton tyres (above in thread ) for three hankook tyres fitted was a very competative £550 inc vat just waiting him getting around to it now

We use TRS tyres in Morecambe, but as its on tippers we don’t buy the cheapest, we get decent that last.

Result! Hankook are good as well.

Rikki-UK:
Whats your priority up front cost, or costs over the life of the tyre? what appears cheap up front can actually end up far more expensive, I personally would be a bit concerned over any transport operation that didn’t look at the full cost and decided to buy a tyre on the simple initial price tag.

ROLLING RESISTANCE!!!

Tyre costs are fractions of a penny per mile over the life of the tyre, but every mile costs lots of pennies in diesel costs. @ 1:50 per litre your fuel costs are approx 67.5 pence per mile if you do 10mpg.

Far more savings can be achieved by lowering your fuel costs with a low rolling resistance tyre than by saving 50quid on a tyre.

Even a 2% fuel saving, would almost pay for a complete set of tyres every year!

Speak to your tyre sales rep and get them to dig around and find out the RR numbers, the savings will be huge if you choose the right tyres.