Tyres and VOSA

Hi, basically one of the wagons where I work is fitted with incorrectly rated tyres. The tyre man that cane today informed me they are meant to be on a trailer not on a drive axle. I asked what would happen if I’m pulled he says as long as I’ve noted it on my defect sheet then my gaffer will be in the ■■■■ not me.

Is this the case or should I just refuse to drive it?

Thanks, Carl.

Point it out to your boss/transport manager. Is the tyre man a regular contractor at your place? If so, get him to report it as well.

Strange that,it must be one of his colleagues who fitted them if its the same firm,i usually find tyre men very good at their job to the point of being jobsworths ,unless they are changing the tyres a bashing a dinting the new rims then cant be arsed to put the wheel nut covers back on and just chuck them in the passenger footwell ,and leave as many black hand marks on the cab doors then slapping a sticker on the back of the cab with the date in marker pen that looks a 4 yr old has changed it,love um :frowning: :frowning:

Can you post a pic of the tyre as tyre fitters can be a bit prone to melodrama?

If it’s really as the tyre fitter says it would look like all kinds of wrong and hard to see how this would occur.

Post deleted after more thought about tyre ratings.

Spoke with the gaffer today and he’s had a word with our mechanic. They’ve printed off some info for me and it appears the tyre fitter was wrong. They tyres fitted were J rated which is apparently fine for a drive axle.

Not sure how the tyre fitter could get it wrong though. He’s worked there a long time. Although when he arrived he had 4 tyre changes plus 4 wheel changes whereas he normally has a tyre change then stands round with a cuppa apparently.

the tyre fitter is right
j rated are for trailers

J is a speed rating up to 62 mph it isn’t a load index.

The use markings most likely to be encountered are “FRT” which indicates that the tyre is not suitable
for use on a driven axle and “TRAILER USE ONLY”.

From the VOSA test manual. Any tyre can be marked with FRT seperately from the normal weight/speed ratings

seth 70:
Strange that,it must be one of his colleagues who fitted them if its the same firm,i usually find tyre men very good at their job to the point of being jobsworths ,unless they are changing the tyres a bashing a dinting the new rims then cant be arsed to put the wheel nut covers back on and just chuck them in the passenger footwell ,and leave as many black hand marks on the cab doors then slapping a sticker on the back of the cab with the date in marker pen that looks a 4 yr old has changed it,love um :frowning: :frowning:

Perhaps they’re just thinking forward and avoiding the pointless exercise of putting them back on knowing full well they will have to come off again very soon for the retorque :wink:

seth 70:

Thats about the most accurate description of a tyre fitter i ever read !! :smiley: