Tyre recommendations?

I have a Merc Vario 814 van with 205/75 R17.5 tyres. They are about due for replacement and I’d appreciate any recommendations. Really I’d like some tough tyres that will deal with travelling through Europe in the middle of winter (do I need M+S tyres to be legal for this?) and also with rough/unmade roads in North Africa.

Suggestions?

Andy_C

Andy for winter in europe you will need tyres that are marked with
the snowflake Symbole, and Snow chains are a requirment by many countrys
in the winter time, For the rough unmade roads in Africa how about carrying
a set of wheels & tyres with a good tread for this type of workmore like
, yes its a pain and takes up space but would be cheaper than useing tyres that
are not of the correct tread,

Hi, I know about the requirement for carrying snow chains (in some countries) but is the ‘snowflake’ symbol on tyres legally required anywhere, other than Scandinavia, or are M+S marked tyres sufficient? I should add that the van is a camper conversion, not a ‘goods’ vehicle.

I don’t anticipate a lot of driving on unmade roads, and to be honest don’t have the space (or cash!) for an additional set of tyres.

There seems to be a limited choice in the size I need, Michelin XZE2 and XDE2, Continental LSR1 and LDR1, or Bridgestone M788 are the principal choices I’ve found - leaving aside the cheap Far Eastern brands.

Andy_C

okay you will need for Germany and country’s further out , winter tyres ,
and snow chains when the weather is such that they are needed, you must have
the required tyres for Germany as they have made this LAW, even i have to get new tyres for winter for my van, ,you can check with the AA and RAC who will tell you exactly, also have a look through google there are many sites where people have written about there trips abroad in camping wagons as well, spare tyres is not a bad idea as you may have to cough up more than you think
for a tyre in north Africa is this link any good for you
HERE,

LOOK through this lot of sites perhaps this may be of use as well

HERE-2

Thought I’d replied but it seems to have gone missing…

I’ve had a good trawl around for info on winter tyre requirements and there seems to be a lot of opinion out there but not much in the way of facts.

The AA website has a useful table of requirements but states that they apply for vehicles up to 3500kg.

It does seem that M+S marked tyres will be accepted as winter tyres in most countries, and M+S tyres should be OK for general use too, so I reckon with a set of them plus snow chains I should be OK.

All I need now is some recommendations for 205/75 R 17.5 M+S tyres…

Andy_C