Tyre pressures

Needed to establish pressures for my truck - internet search turns up zilch.

Eventually found this:-

18T Rigid on 315/60 Steer and 295/60 Drive. Have been running at 110 psi all round - now going to try 100 psi on steers, 90 on the drive. Kerb weight is 12,000 kg, typical payload 3,500 kg.

Feels a bit daft opening up such an old post! Hope the link is useful.

Is this any good for any one

.http://www.energymanagertraining.com/tyre/pdf/truck%20tyre%20basics.pdf#search="european%20truck%20tyre%20pressure"

A couple of excellent links there folks!! Thanks.

Dont know never checked a tyre pressure in my life as long as it looks round enough its ok for me.

I checked one on a trailer at Tradeteam the other week that looked a bit on the low side only to find it only had 40psi on it! Needless to say that trailer (which had the best part of 28t of carling on it) didn’t go anywhere until the man from ATS had been and swapped the tyre for one that didn’t have two nails in it. I’m glad I checked, running that heavy with a tyre that flat would have almost certainly lead to a blowout or fire.

Paul

Funnily enough repton i had a trailer the other night that had been loaded with a defective tyre . Took it over to the air line to check it and it was below 40 psi .
Had to have it changed to be on the safe side rather than blow it back up . Again with 28t of carling :laughing: .

What gets on my nerves about it is that trailer was probably stood for an hour or more in the ranks with a defective tyre and the shunters don;t bother reporting it a 30 second phone call !!

So first job of the night is to sit in the yard for an hour or more waiting for a fitter if you can;t get your job swapped .

repton:
I checked one on a trailer at Tradeteam the other week that looked a bit on the low side only to find it only had 40psi on it! Needless to say that trailer (which had the best part of 28t of carling on it) didn’t go anywhere until the man from ATS had been and swapped the tyre for one that didn’t have two nails in it. I’m glad I checked, running that heavy with a tyre that flat would have almost certainly lead to a blowout or fire.

Paul

you will probly find that the trye was as flat a witches ■■■,40 psi being the pressure of the load on the tyre…

Part of my daily checks involve walking down each side of the wagon and hitting each tyre with the end of my fist. (as if you are stabbing at it, if that makes sense) You can tell by the sound it makes if theres a slow or low pressure. Good pressure has a nice ring and vibration too it. Visual check too of course . I can honestly say that on quite a few occasions over the years it has prevented me leaving the yard or a park up and having a roadside. Much better to drink tea and wait in the yard or go back to bed than have a scary, uncomfortable wait on some busy road

jammymutt:
Dont know never checked a tyre pressure in my life as long as it looks round enough its ok for me.

Sounds like something one of the lads at our place would say. Among his other remarks were "I’ll pump it up when it’s flat :open_mouth: " :unamused:

Yeti:

jammymutt:

Sounds like something one of the lads at our place would say. Among his other remarks were "I’ll pump it up when it’s flat :open_mouth: " :unamused:

“after you have screwed it round some yard,1000 miles from home?”

I’ve been meaning to shove some air in the offside lift-axle tyre on my FH12 for some time but those air lines found at MSA’s and “normal” filling stations don’t have the oomph to get much more than about 40psi in.

Unaware of an ATS Trucks near Dewsbury I trammed up to ATS at Cross Green in Leeds.

I’ve had mixed feedback on what pressures the tyres need to run at; some say 100, others say 120-125 :confused:

Anyway… connected the line up to the lift-axle - 45psi :open_mouth: but no worries because it only took about a minute to get it up to 110psi which I decided on.

I thought that whilst I was there I may as well make good use of the opportunity to check them all so I did. Only ONE tyre didn’t need any attention :open_mouth: and that was the front offside which was at 105psi and it was recommended to me that the steering tyres should be slightly less than the others.

All of the drive tyres were low, all in the 60-90psi bracket :open_mouth: and the nearside lift axle was only at 80psi. The scary thing was that the front nearside tyre was at about 128psi :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: (the front tyres are super singles)

It just goes to show that a visual tyre check to see if they’ve roughly enough air in them isn’t suffice as I found out :astonished:

When I returned back to the yard bob-tail, the unit was certainly crashing about on the undulations but I’ve left to take a trailer with it to see really what difference it’s made (other than getting a better fuel consumption :slight_smile: ).

Before anyone mentions it, the wagon was stood long enough for the tyres to cool off before taking the pressures :slight_smile:

Those of you that bother to check your tyres, what pressures do you run yours at out of interest :question:

Hi Rob
Standard sized front 125 psi
Mid lift 110 psi
Rear drive 95 psi
Trailer s/singles 125 psi

I check actual pressures every two weeks with a proper workshop compressor, but you could rig up an air line that plugs into the red air line of the unit for faster inflation.

I find an increase in fuel consumption usually means a tyre below pressure, especially on the trailer.

I run the rears at 90, the front at 110 and the trailer at 125 psi. I’m averaging 11.1 mpg with this vehicle at the moment and I haven’t had to buy a rear tyre for years as they always last for the three years that I keep the trucks, steers get changed once in that time and the trailer tyres aren’t down to me to replace so I’m happy with keeping them at those pressures.

So would you say that 110 for the drives is too high then :question: It was bad enough in the wet as it was before I pumped them up :laughing: