Tyre opinion

What’s the verdict. It’s a NEXT TREAD NT RHD. Not sure. Leaning towards illegal myself

looks like it needs a tread depth gauge on it… looks like its been over inflated looking at the depth differences between the inner and outer of the tyre…

Looks like it’s around a millimetre in the middle, can’t really tell very well but if I had that on mine I’d be getting it changed. Regs are 1mm minimum tread over 3/4 width all of the way round.

Looks legal but only just. I would want it changing if it was me.

philgor:
looks like it needs a tread depth gauge on it… looks like its been over inflated looking at the depth differences between the inner and outer of the tyre…

Exactly so. You can`t guess, especially from a photo. But, iffy looking…

Looking at the photo it looks legal to me. If you want it changing you pay for it, I guess about £180 or £360 to make a pair.

Thought it was iffy myself. Even when recut I hate these tyres. Next tread are utter garbage if you ask me

Steve-o:
Thought it was iffy myself. Even when recut I hate these tyres. Next tread are utter garbage if you ask me

It’s getting towards iffy I reckon, I’d be keeping a close eye on it, and getting it changed over at the next planned workshop time.

F-reds:

Steve-o:

It’s getting towards iffy I reckon, I’d be keeping a close eye on it, and getting it changed over at the next planned workshop time.

Yes, same for me. It’s not bad enough to warrant a full blown toys out of pram and refusal to take but I would want reassurance it being addressed was on the cards.

Tyres and brakes are the two main defect areas to be concerned about for drivers as they are endorsable (unfairly in my view if there is evidence daily checks are done reasonably dilligently)

What counts as the tred area because if it was between those cubes then that would be 0mm between a couple of them but when recut the tyre guy misses out a few of them before cutting across from left to right. Confusion results.

Anyone seen the fuel max tyre from goodyear I think. On the steering axle tyre there’s a groove all the way round that totally dissappears half way through the tyres life yet is still legal as that’s the way it’s designed. Of course office staff and driver trainer refuse to advise because they aren’t tyre experts… then complain when refusal to drive ensues

Tyres are the only defect on a truck you can get points on your licence. So I’d say no, ■■■■ penny pinching over 1mm. Most big compaines change at 2mm these days, some even as high as 3mm.

That doesn’t even look 1mm in the second photo, it looks smooth and it’s in the 75% zone aswell.

Steve-o:
What counts as the tred area because if it was between those cubes then that would be 0mm between a couple of them but when recut the tyre guy misses out a few of them before cutting across from left to right. Confusion results.

Shouldn’t be any confusion. 1mm across 3/4 width of the tyre, all the way around.

So if you have 4 lines of tread as per your tyre, 3 of them should be 1mm or more. Forget about your cubes they are irrelevant really.

I’d have concerns about the firm if they didn’t agree that this tyre needs changing! :open_mouth:

I did a bit of agency work for a company (Massive national/international). VOR Trailer, tyre below 1mm/flat spots etc. Did it with a few trailers and every f’in time, they gave it to somebody else.

I got that fed up I bought these, I make sure the illegal tyres are “Well Marked” and if the driver does take it, it certainly would attract the attention of Mr DVSA because of all the bright yellow marks on the tyre.

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D2XIO50
£2.64 for 3.

Going to need replacing very soon but still legal, its not quite on the wear stops.

There may be a few thin spots in the middle, but there is plenty of thread on 75% of the width of the tyre. Use a depth gauge, you’ll be surprised how little visible thread is actually 1mm… that looks like the majority of the thread will be about 3mm. Also no cuts or tears, generally looks like a tyre that has an easy life. I do agree it looks like it may have been run over inflated.

ebay.co.uk/itm/VOSA-approved … 1013943649

Every professional driver should have something like this in their pocket.

The legal limit for cars is 1.6mm across 3/4 of the face of the tyre.

The legal limit for Commercial Vehicles is 1.0mm across the face of the tyre.

In Germany the legal limit is 6.0mm across the entire face of the tyre, I stand to be corrected.

Remember that there is only about as much of the tyre in contact with the road as the same size as the palm of your hand whilst you are driving at “coughs” speed.

Read up, swot up and then go down the workshop and book it off.

The tyre has been over inflated and will need changing. I usually scrap my car tyres at 3mm.

From what I can see on the second picture the tyre is illegal.

As has been said you must have 1mm minimum tread on 3/4 of the width of the tyre all the way around. Picture 2 appears to show a break in the original tread right in the centre - therefore there isn’t 3/4 of the width anymore. The original tread ran right across the tyre - it doesn’t now.

That’s from what I can see. For me that would be teddy out the prom and refuse to take it out.

If I remember rightly the MOT manual says something about having to be able to see the base of the original tread. There’s a spot on picture 2 where it has gone

Sorry if I’ve missed it but has the OP got the thread depth, looks 2,-3mm to me, serviceable but it the change window.
I won’t take a tyre out less than 2mm, well apart from me car that’s on slicks at the moment.