Tyre life.

I often read/hear about people making a big deal out of saving 50quid on the cost of a new tyre, but here’s proof that you get what you pay for when it comes to tyres.

I had these put on in July 2010, since then I’ve done 610,000kms and there’s still life left in them if they were regrooved (we don’t regroove)

Michelin XDN2s :sunglasses:

To be fair, not buying Mich would save you a lot more than 50 quid but I hear what you’re saying. I like premium rubber too!

610000km in less than 3 years?!?! Are you Irish?!

You’d get even more out of them if you put a bit less air in them (those have been run overinflated).

What size are those tyres? Thought Michelin xdn2 were a grippy drive pattern.

I’d also get that stone out of the tread and check it’s not through to the cords.

Found a toyo super single on the verge of death yesterday,i changed it last night,i don’t think it would of got to Germany was a good 7 mill left on it too.

coiler:
You’d get even more out of them if you put a bit less air in them (those have been run overinflated).

What size are those tyres? Thought Michelin xdn2 were a grippy drive pattern.

I’d also get that stone out of the tread and check it’s not through to the cords.

That wear pattern (center) has only just developed in the last month, before that the wear was even across the tyre, even so I’ll be backing off the pressure by 5psi on the next set. Those were run at 110psi. In the last month or so I’ve been running around with only a couple of ton in the trailer for more than half the time, so 110psi is too high for sure, but although adjusting the pressure for each load would lengthen the life of the tyre, in the real world a compromise is what happens and 105psi will be my next setting.

They’ve already come off, so the stone (from the yard) is not a problem, but I would’ve had that out if the tyres were not coming off.

They are 11R 24.5 and XDN2s do have a grippy pattern when they’ve got less miles on them, this is how they are with 610,000kms on them.

Shoshaye:
Found a toyo super single on the verge of death yesterday,i changed it last night,i don’t think it would of got to Germany was a good 7 mill left on it too.01

Had the trailer been sat a while as that’s usually when they tend to do that on the side wall?

That’s the biggest risk with investing in premium tyres, that they don’t make it down to the last few mm. Especially where your on work where you might go over a shard of metal, or something, that wouldn’t care whether it was a Michelin or a Bandag the tyre would still be toast.

He runs across the Atlantic XFmatt.

Yes xfmatt, I run in Canada. We get 13hrs a day here and the limit is 110km/h mostly, so quite a few miles go under the bumper…