Tyre Choices...

I’ve done a search on here but am struggling, so thought I’d ask you guys and girls what the best alternatives are!!

I’m going to need to replace my steer axle tyres on my 18t rigid. Now the truck is privately owned and is converted into a motorhome for motorsport. As such the mileage isn’t really an issue as I’m looking for good grip all weathers. Currently fitted is a Sentaida which was on it when I bought the truck the other year, but this is starting to come apart now.

Any one got any suggestions?

Dave

Anyone using/used GT Radial GSR225 tyres?

Dave

What size are they 11 225 rear and 295 front ? 11 225 Goodyear or Bridgestone steers are around £250 ,drive axle remoulds £150 170 up .

Despite the cost you can’t go wrong with bridgstones I stuck with em as an o/d . you get what you pay for !!!

Tauras are a good tyre , they are a michelin really just made in different factory

davemfox:

Dave

I ran GT’s on the drive axle, good tyre that came highly recommended by my tyre fitter over more expensive alternatives

Just looking at the tyres on my old lorries the main problem is the sun rather than the make of tyre on these that stand for long periods ,covering the tyres up when not in use is worth thinking about .

Cant beat a Pirelli 1100 20 Cross ply imo :stuck_out_tongue:
Failing that,a Pnuemant 1000 r 20 :sunglasses:

Suedehead:
Cant beat a Pirelli 1100 20 Cross ply imo :stuck_out_tongue:
Failing that,a Pnuemant 1000 r 20 :sunglasses:

I used to take great pride in re-grooving the original pattern into Pirelli Carriloads…

However tyres are a subjective thing, OP have you perused an online site like Tyreleader tyreleader.co.uk/truck-tyres/, even commercial tyres now have ratings, which whilst not exactly foolproof might give you an inkling whether a tyre has the wet weather grip of a fish.

Best gripping tyres i’ve ever had on a lorry were a set of Kenprest remoulds, they stuck like the proverbial to a blanket much to my disgust as i was thoroughly ■■■■■■ off when my then gaffer removed the new tyres from the drive axle of my brand new tractor unit (for use on steers) and had those remoulds fitted, had to eat me words though.

Wow thanks everyone.

Dan Punchard:
What size are they 11 225 rear and 295 front ? 11 225 Goodyear or Bridgestone steers are around £250 ,drive axle remoulds £150 170 up .

Tyres are 295/80 - 22.5

Night-and-day:

davemfox:

Dave

I ran GT’s on the drive axle, good tyre that came highly recommended by my tyre fitter over more expensive alternatives

Yeah a local tyre fitter has recommended them as a steer tyre…

Dan Punchard:
Just looking at the tyres on my old lorries the main problem is the sun rather than the make of tyre on these that stand for long periods ,covering the tyres up when not in use is worth thinking about .

Good point - I think that’s what’s been happening with mine - mind you they are about 7 to 8 years old looking at the date stamps.

Dave

karl2878:
Despite the cost you can’t go wrong with bridgstones I stuck with em as an o/d . you get what you pay for !!!

Well im not so sure, ive had a few go bang and will go back to my AG tyre favourite Michelin that have never let me down on case construction on AG machines.

chaversdad:
Tauras are a good tyre , they are a michelin really just made in different factory

In much the same vain that a MAN is a Scania?

puntabrava:

chaversdad:

In much the same vain that a MAN is a Scania?

More like the way a skoda is a VW

Didn’t know MAN and Scania were part of the same group!

Dave

Vw Passats are rubbish compared to an Audi A4 though .

davemfox:
Didn’t know MAN and Scania were part of the same group!

Dave

Both part of VW now, part sharing sure to follow…

I’ve used GT686 on a drive axle ( assuming they’re similar ) very uneven wear !

Definitely wouldn’t use them on a steer axle, Bridgstones or Michelins are the best choice

Dan Punchard:
Vw Passats are rubbish compared to an Audi A4 though .

Completely agree, I had an A4 convertible a couple of years ago that was probably the best screwed together car i.ve ever owned

Denis F:
I’ve used GT686 on a drive axle ( assuming they’re similar ) very uneven wear !

Definitely wouldn’t use them on a steer axle, Bridgstones or Michelins are the best choice

Thanks…I’ve been tyre watching up here and the Michelin mutliway’s seem very popular.

Dave

Right I went for a Conti HyBrid HS3…seems ok on first impressions too.

Dave