Tyre check

How many of you check the Inside Tyre of Drive axle,and how?
See just kicking against Outside Tyre which wouldnt show Innside tyre flat or not

amazon.com/RoadPro-WR-1-Wood … B001JT5NMQ would help

Kicking a tyre tells you very little…probably only a sore foot. :laughing:

I always visually check ALL tyres and give them a wack on the tread area with a small lightweight ball pien hammer.
You can check for loose wheel nuts this way too if indicator markers are not fitted. :wink:
Thats an olde skool way of checking if tyres are inlfated or losing pressure /flat. :sunglasses:
Wackaday thwack with a good stick or tyre iron / bar /hammer will give a resonance indication to a tyres state of play along with visual inspection. A dull thud is not a happy tyre :confused: (H&S note : just be mindfull if good inflation - the bar/stick may bounce back at you ). :grimacing: goes without saying. Were talking primary walk round check here. :grimacing:
# - infact , a small ball-pien hammer would serve the purpose for a pre-flight check :grimacing:
Of course , it doesnt discount that an appropriate pressure gauge should be used to check inflation /pressure although some firms wont let you do this or dont have the facility/equipment.
Ever watched the ministry man or MOT checker walk round with his little ball pien hammer ? :wink: .

:arrow_right: If a boomerang doesn`t come back , its a stick :grimacing:

When I had my horse lorry, I did a walk round check for damage an obvious flats at the start of every trip and at every stop/break/fuelling.
First trip of the calendar month would mean a pressure check and close visual check on them all.
That’s how I did it
Paul

I tell my servant to do it.

Bring back continental style axle arrangements… None of the stupid UK singular spray-supression wheelarch system. That never worked!

Immigrant:
See just kicking against Outside Tyre which wouldnt show Innside tyre flat or not

The idea of kicking or hitting tyres is because twinned wheels and tyres support each other so you can’t see if the tyre is flat visually unlike in the case of singles.On that note you’re supposed to kick/hit both the inner and outer not just the outer.While contrary to Albion’s comments a flat tyre certainly feels different when you kick it or hit it with something.External steel toe cap boots being better than trainers in that regard. :wink:

A punctured inner tyre will look like a low pressure outer tyre. I had 2 inner tyres changed today on a trailer which meant a 0930 start resulted in a 1445 departure :confused:

You can certainly tell if an inner tyre has deflated, by ‘kicking it’. I use the flat of my work boots, hold the side of the truck and give it a good whack. Has always worked for me and detected punctures.

The one thing that is difficult to do though, is spot cuts on the inner surfaces of twin rear tyres, usually due to poor access.

Immigrant:

I raise the suspension up put my arm over the top of the outer tyre and try and push the top of the inner tyre as hard as i can and if you get any kind of movement of the inner tyre it could be a bit soft. And as mentioned if the inner tyre is really soft then the outer tyre will also appear to look slightly soft too because it’s supporting more weight.

I also give all the tyres a good kick too and have found several soft tyres this way.

Being an army driving instructor in a former life, I’m a bit fastidious about doing my vehicle checks, after all these years I still cheque my tyres, inner and outer, before coupling up to my trailer.
I’m not surprised these days when I pull onto a msa to see just about ALL drivers get out of the truck and walk off to the services without a glance at their truck.
I always walk round and put the back of my hand against all the tyres and hubs to check the temperature, this is a good guide not only for tyres, but also a binding brake or dodgy wheel bearings can cause a tyre to overheat. And check them again at the end of shift, I have actually gone to collect my unit for the shift to find it had a flat inner rear tyre, obviously the last driver had not been thorough doing his end of shift checks!
Only a few weeks ago on my return trip from Gateshead I had my usual break at Weatherby services, and although only having 6 or 8 tons on, the nearside outer tractor wheel was warmer than the offside, so getting under I found the rear inner tyre was flat.
I called out the tyre people and it was possible to repair the tyre, it had the steel hook from a webbing strap in the tread. If I had continued, it could have wrecked the tyre completely and even caused the outer tyre to fail
When I first left the army I worked on Keele msa doing breakdown and tyre repairs, and it was a common thing for drivers to say they had had a double blowout!
Very rare!
It was more than likely they had been running with a flat inner tyre that was not found until the outer tyre had overheated and blown.

If the tyre is only flat at the bottom it’s fine.