Tyre call out Madrid

A couple of weeks ago I was out delivering in Getafe when I needed to call out the tyre man.

My last experience 2 years ago in Sevilla the whole process took nearly 5 hours, first he couldn’t get the wheel off because the air line had a hole in it the guy had wrapped PTFE tape round and held it on with string I wouldn’t have believed if I hadn’t seen it, so the compressor couldn’t enough pressure for the air gun to get the nuts off, in the end he did what I suggested a hour or so earlier and cut the pipe at the leak and connected it direct to the compressor, job finally finished 02.30am.

So I wasn’t looking forward to a repeat of that. I called the 24 hour no. they said the tyre guy would be with me in half a hour, bearing in mind it was the night of the world cup semi final Spain v Germany, so I told the ■■■■■■■ the phone that I would be in the bar across the road thinking I’m not going to see anybody till after the match, so there I was enjoying the match when I heard a mobile ring “oh dam its mine” also showing 3 missed calls, its the tyre man waiting for me outside he had been calling for about 20 minutes.
He opened his van and out folded this robotic machine it was like something out of a sci fi film I was gob smacked I’d never seen anything like more or less the same machne thet have in the workshop, tyre change in less than half a hour pleasantly surprised it was back to the bar to finish my beer.

our tyre place in malaga they have little seats on rollers with the gun suspended from overhead so there’s no lifting involved, life is getting easier for tyre fitters :smiley:

dont you guys carry spares?we always carry two spares or has the elfs stopped it

maverick72:
dont you guys carry spares?we always carry two spares or has the elfs stopped it

I’ve got 2 spares on the trailer but they’re only if I get a problem away from malaga and then only if i can’t use the lift axle and get to a garage and get one of the grease monkeys to do it :laughing: :laughing:

Proper British tyre fitter would have that done in 20 minutes without even taking the rim of the axle. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

maverick72:

I have a metal hip ,no lifting heavy nasty tyres. Doctors orders.

Coffeeholic:
Proper British tyre fitter would have that done in 20 minutes without even taking the rim of the axle. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

There is not much happens in Spain in 20 minutes.

Coffeeholic:

I was always amazed in Germany with the wheel wrench posts they use, like a trolley with an attached raising windy gun, you typical brit would just use an L bar.

Coffeeholic:

Totally agree driver, and that would include travelling time in the ole Leyland Fg :laughing:
Mind you, split rims in those days - Happy days.

maverick72:

Too heavy, thats about a pallet :smiley:
I carry my tyre changing gear and tool kit in my pocket.
(Bring Bring - hello boss, I’ve got a bit of a problem)
Not 100% true, I can manage a few running repairs to either get me home hopefully or at least get me to the nearest workshop.
I can blow up a soft tyre too (good lungs :laughing: :unamused: ).