Types of work questions

Hi chaps,

Ive been offered a job delivering Bagged Fertilisers from IAWS terminal in Ipswich docks with a curtainsider, can anyone tell me what this type of work entails (i.e is it mainly farms? can it be all over the country?) and does anyone know what the IAWS terminal is like to load from?

Ive only done roro and boxes so its a step into the unknown for me!

Any comments good or bad!

Aaron

Usually a lot of physical and dirty work involved, driving in narrow lanes to farms designed for a horse and cart, lots of reversing into and out of some farms. You will need to be good with the maps, tomtoms not a lot of cop for farm deliverys, you need to study the map, ideally a large scale map to plan your journey, not necessarily the quickest route, but the one where you dont get snagged on a 90 degree bend. Always phone the farmer in advance because some deliverys can be in a barn in a field, you’ll need directions. If you like to get out into the countryside, and dont mind hard graft you’ll probably enjoy it. Good luck.

Tiger.

Never done them but it might be the sort of job that GROWS on you :laughing:

• sorry, could not resist :blush: :blush: :blush:

ROG:
Never done them but it might be the sort of job that GROWS on you :laughing:

• sorry, could not resist :blush: :blush: :blush:

Sharp as ever Roger, did you have razor blades for breakfast today? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Tiger.

Check whether you need ADR training (aka Hazchem)

Some fertilizers require it some dont,

Mostly as said deliveries will be to farms, prob nationwide

I bet farms are the least of your worries when many modern farmers have loadall teleporter JCB or Manitous. The problem of a bit of handball will probably come when you deliver to the local bowling green or garden centres

i agree mostly with Fastrantiger not so mych handball now , but always give the farmer a ring cos he might want it a diff farm etc get a good collection off maps or buy the phillips navigator or phillips county maps most show the farms o them , not a 99p job from pound land , i did farm work 4 months out the yr when i was on general and i enjoyed it 1 gave me experince off gettin out of crap places that half time you thought only a car wud get their . you might have 1 drop too 12 drops , but if your going up towards immingham they might get you to reload out their depot their and work bk down to ipswich .

hope that helps