Tyneside turning into a NO GO area between 8pm and 6 am

Thanks to our brilliant Highways England set up, here is the senario for the next 2 months…
A1 Closed at Gateshead.
A1 Closed at Scotch Corner.
A19 closed .
Various slip roads closed.

I feel sorry for the night drivers trying to get around this mess.

I would agree with you if there were none of these about… :unamused:

A short detour hardly makes the place a “NO GO area”

But there usually isn’t any such signs. And it wouldn’t surprise me to find the diversion route with road closures, absolute joke

This is getting more common too.

I requested my Sunday night run because with only working two shifts a week and being hourly paid I can get 12-13 hours in.
I leave Stoke at 00.30, first drop Middlesborough at 04.45, second drop Washington at 06.00, into Team Valley to reload, leaving at 09.00, depending on traffic usually home about 13.30.
Looks like I could be in for some camping trips!
Hours I don’t mind, but I’m too old now for camping!

Best thing I’ve heard for ages, make it 24/7 and permanent.

I thought the thread title had been taken from Northumbria polices Twitterbook page!

mick.mh2racing:
But there usually isn’t any such signs. And it wouldn’t surprise me to find the diversion route with road closures, absolute joke

I’ll just leave this here as i can’t find the official info at the mo
cbrd.co.uk/articles/emergenc … on-routes/

Handy tip for off network routes

trubster:

You’ve not seen the length of some of these detours. The closure from Scotch Corner to the A66M usually means going all the way to Barnard Castle. It adds 20 miles and takes over half an hour.

One for the closure on the M5 northbound at Gloucester involved going all the way to Ross on Wye.

Only 2 things that would bother me about diversions.

1. If they weren’t paying me for the time I spent driving " off route "
  2. If they asked me to pay for the extra diesel used. :wink:
    Regards. John.

Conor:

trubster:

You’ve not seen the length of some of these detours. The closure from Scotch Corner to the A66M usually means going all the way to Barnard Castle. It adds 20 miles and takes over half an hour.

One for the closure on the M5 northbound at Gloucester involved going all the way to Ross on Wye.

That M5 one made me laugh…

The closure was at J9 N/B, there was a sign near the hard shoulder saying road ahead closed, use J10 Which must be the one you were referring to which sent you up to the M50 and back on at Strensham. Even the diversion from J9 was turning people round and back to J10.

Obviously, if you have your head screwed on and are heading for the midlands, the A46 is a fantastic short cut and I am sure even knocked time off my ETA before the diversion!

It was funny watching all the blind prat nav sheeple turning back at J10 for a stupidly long diversion because they missed the sign :laughing:

That is going to be fun when i have to be in Newcastle city centre for 7am.

Conor:
The closure from Scotch Corner to the A66M usually means going all the way to Barnard Castle.

Have they lifted the weight limit on the bridge in Barney for this? Been years since I’ve been that way, so I’m assuming that the bridge is still limited?

As far as I’m aware the leeming to Barton part is only shut overnight on Saturdays 20:00-0600. The roadworks on the Newcastle bypass are usually gone by 05:00 if not sooner. You can always bypass them by coming off at the a167, next slip road past Washington services, and go through Gateshead & into Newcastle that way.

speedyguy:

mick.mh2racing:

I’ll just leave this here as i can’t find the official info at the mo
cbrd.co.uk/articles/emergenc … on-routes/

Handy tip for off network routes

3 or 4 weeks ago the A1 was close all weekend at Retford. I have a vague knowledge of the roads in Nottinghamshire but don’t know every route in the North Notts area. There was a sign at the road closure where the A1 was closed diverting traffic off the carriageway, yeah no ■■■■ sherlock, and a sign to divert down the A614.
And that’s it, nothing else. I’ve got a decker trailer and no map, google maps wouldn’t load on my phone I’m assuming because of the poor reception so I winged it and came out at Newark.
So much for all the lengthy descriptions and directions on the link you provided but not much evidence of signage in the dark.